Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 [2679] 2680 2681 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973950 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40170 on: March 06, 2015, 07:24:33 am »

Wait... how can animals become werecreatures ? Or are your rhinos sentient or something ?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40171 on: March 06, 2015, 08:47:31 am »

Hm, only one engraver working. Ingish, a Professional who's done some good work. I wonder what kind of work she'll do after viewing the site of a massacre. I designated one stone wall in the middle of the tribal clearing for polishing, top priority, and unlocked the hatch out into the undefended area of the cavern.

She didn't even make it that far, she was so struck with horror on approaching the site of Yellowgill's death. We already recovered his body, all that's left is his toe. I can't even imagine what a cave swallow man's toe would look like, but a severed one was enough to send her scrambling back to the city.

But someone else started Detail Wall, and that looks like my stone flashing. It's Urvad, our first and oldest Legendary engraver, who has done many masterworks. So he made the trek all the way into the cavern layer. Horrified by the death of Yellowgil, but didn't miss a step. Kept walking over the horrifying bodies of 2 trolls and 4 cave swallow women, and proceeded to smooth that stone -- if we ever clear that area out, I want him to engrave that spot. From that vantage point, that was as much as he could see, but he got a series of 7 horrifying thoughts that didn't even slow him down.

When he was halfway back, a towering feathered silverfish arrived -- beware its fire! In the far corner, plenty of time before it gets its bearings and starts pathing. But there come his pet cats, and the swordsdwarf I stationed out to fend off a giant olm that was slowly encroaching decided to take the initiative and march the rest of the way, and another engraver came out to pasture Urvad's cat, and some peasant decided now was the time to retrieve Yellowgill's.

But I got them all back in safely and resealed the hatch as the FB was beginning its ambling approach. It's fortunate he wasn't a flyer in the NE corner, with the half finished defensive wall. That's where a giant cave swallow spawned instead, and it flitted around the ceiling in a panic. The dwarves just ignored it and carried on, but a hunting giraffe took offense to its presence and beat it up and down the hallway Everyone nonchalantly passed through on their jobs, picking up pieces as I unforbid them ("This beak doesn't belong here!") If that swallow was any FB, this whole little community would've been fucked.

medivo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40172 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:17 am »

Wait... how can animals become werecreatures ? Or are your rhinos sentient or something ?

to be honest, i've only just started playing DF again, and i dont fully understand the werewolf mechanics.

If one infected 'wolfs out' will they all? And what can/cant be infected?

Dainz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40173 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:44 am »

I think werebeast are randomly created much likes FB, but almost anything they scratch becomes a werecreature themselves, so they transform themselfes every full moon! (And also get amazing healing skills)
So check out the combat logs, and find out whom the werebeast hit, and then close them in on full moon!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40174 on: March 06, 2015, 10:33:26 am »

Damn elves pretend to be at war with our civ (none of my doing, it must be some world history event that fired) but won't ever come to visit. We have three small (fourteen total) squads of professional military and fifteen more well-trained (weaponmasters) militia with only shields and weapons who also take a one-season refresher course every other year to keep them unrusted.

The caverns are largely empty, since the dominant critters of the heap have established themselves: two forgotten beasts made of steel. It's almost a pity they're in two different cave systems and never meet. That'd be fun. Meanwhile, i tested whether the old percussive minecart bug is still present. It is. I'm not sure how useful it'll be against a beast of steel, but with some experimentation, i came up with a powerless design. A powered design in .34.11 took care of six forgotten beasts, the powerless version shouldn't be much worse. The rooster involved in the test (all the hostiles i've ever seen were a few semimegabeasts and a weregopher) unfortunately perished.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40175 on: March 06, 2015, 12:58:50 pm »

The good news: The powerless percussion corridor totally obliterates demons.
The bad news: DF crashed and took the finished trap down with it mid-operation. Last save is half a year (and thus 90% of the work on this thing) ago. Shit.

Anyway, schematic:

Code: [Select]
######     ######     ######     ######     ######
##▼+▲#     ##¢+═#     #▲▲###     #══###     ##&###
######     ######     ######     ######     ######
z+0     hatch, track    z-1       track     z-2 (critter on floor)

Use a sufficiently heavy minecart - just load a wooden cart with stones - and stick 20+ of these things side by side. The cart climbs out of the double-ramp pit to the east, bounces against the wall, returns over the _smooth floor_ and doesn't roll into the ramp but rather jumps, collides with the wall and falls down to the level below, delivering a full-on punch through the floor to the creature under the tile onto which the cart falls. Open/close the hatch to start/stop the machine. Cycle time is 44 steps, so using several pits is mandatory - a creature can move up to ten tiles in that time. A full corridor is stacked like this:

Code: [Select]
##########         
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲       
++++++++++          ##########
▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼          ++++++++++
##########          ##########
top level       killing corridor two levels deeper

Shut the corridor with a locked door or the like - keeps building destroyers occupied in case one survives to the end of the corridor (can happen with very beefy creatures).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:15:08 pm by Larix »

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40176 on: March 06, 2015, 01:24:22 pm »

I'm in year 3 of a human fortress in 40.23 using the all races playable mod in the windows starter pack. I deconstructed the depot to steal goods from the elf caravan a few years ago, and just this spring I noticed some random (friendly) merchants hanging around the map. 3-5 of each, dwarves humans and elves, and their yaks and etc.

Edit: On second thought, I remember that when I "embarked" the adventurer, I got a lot of announcement spam about wagons dying and losing hold of trade goods. I had saved the game on 1st of Obsidian, the adventurer started in mid-Obsidian, then I saved and unretired the fort and it was 1st of Granite. Dunno what happened but maybe a trade caravan had arrived at the wrong time and got bugged out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:00:03 pm by lowbart »
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40177 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »

Smoothing the mines, because I can. Mostly just leaving the fort running and chucking the odd crundle into the magma sea. I also sent the military to kill a jabberer in the third cavern because I have plenty already and those things are dangerous.

I also caught a male cave dragon.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40178 on: March 06, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »

The bad news: DF crashed and took the finished trap down with it mid-operation. Last save is half a year (and thus 90% of the work on this thing) ago. Shit.
You went that long without saving? Man, I save every time I do anything that would be twice as onerous the second time around. After changing a uniform, after organizing a workshop's stockpiles, after laying out construction plans, I save. Every time I don't, I regret it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40179 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:31 pm »

I have yearly autosave (with backup), so tend to not bother with special saves. A crash past the half-year point or at the payoff of a large effort is often grounds for nuking the fort altogether...

Anyway, i had another fort with easily accessible HFS, so tried it even more contact-less (dropping the cart on top of the floor just over the hollow tube). The inhabitants just stand around without moving if they have no valid target inside your fort (or a visible creature), so you won't get many of them this way. With another sideways access i could get them to move, but they go through doors so quickly that i soon walled it over again. Nonetheless, fifty-five out of 97 bagged just by contactless minecart drop, even if it mostly took out the weak-material ones.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40180 on: March 06, 2015, 04:36:08 pm »

I have seasonal backup, so I can choose to spin off a Legends folder about that time.

I don't know if this will work, but I'm thinking about dual hydraulic force cannons that fire minecarts into each other's chambers, then switch gates and fire each back. Will hydraulic force propel a minecart? Does velocity matter as much mass? It won't exactly be aimable, but if can put minecart-sized holes through a wagon, I'll be happy. It's just something to do with the water at the top of the pumpstacks I'm planning.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40181 on: March 06, 2015, 04:43:24 pm »

My fortress is running at 23fps, and not much is going on. I think I'm going to start training many more military dwarves and challenge the clowns before trying a modded world. One tweaked for a bit more fun.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40182 on: March 06, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »

I've got a caged forgotten beast, an eyeless lizard with poison spit. The poison causes fever and extreme drowsiness. What should I do with it? I'm saving my captives for conquering hell and my dorfs have everything else threatening pretty well in hand. Should I maybe use it like a turret to take out a webbing FB? The poison should knock it unconscious, making it easy for my dwarves to take out.

I'm still waiting for a fire-breathing FB to show up so I can use it against the fire-breathing demons.

EDIT: Oh shit, a tundra titan just showed up - a pterosaur with webs. I'm right fucked. Against webbing titans I have walls, a moat, and marksdwarves. Against flying titans I have a legendary militia and also a fuckton of war giant sparrows. I have nothing against both.

BRING ON THE SLAUGHTER

EDIT2: My military is very good at killing webbing creatures. It got stabbed in the head by a spearmaster. The only injury was a broken leg from the titan's corpse falling on a webbed dwarf. This reminds me of the time when one of my macelords kicked a webbing FB in the head, killing it instantly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:44:39 pm by TheFlame52 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40183 on: March 06, 2015, 07:06:03 pm »

Watching this FB cook the wild draltha that I could've caught in my cage traps. He's razing a lot of potential graze and gather land -- not that I need it, I'm already getting such a surplus from what I have already. The fireballs are hurled line-of-site, not very accurately, and it doesn't appear to throw them when already in melee range. I could lure him into an ambush up a hatch and the soldiers could be on him quick enough to prevent fire-throwing. I'm going to need a civ alert in case I'm wrong. I have to put a stop to him before he burns Yellowgill's spear.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40184 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:22 pm »

Merchants are fools.
I tried to buy their anvils with a price of 3/2 and they didn't agree. Then I bought some of them first, tricking them into a counter offer. Then I bought the rest of the anvils with a much lower price.

The king's mausoleum was finished. I stuffed his coffin and statues into a room which was being used to store bee hives...I don't know if bee hives increase the value.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2677 2678 [2679] 2680 2681 ... 3839