Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103902 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39780 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:16 pm »

When will Toady get round to making weapons make a little bit of sense? Those damn metal "whips"...
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39781 on: February 16, 2015, 04:11:11 pm »

Atis the macelord got tackled through two blocks of wall and into the dry moat. He's lucky I'm too lazy to put lava in it. Also, I made an arena, but my dwarves don't like seeing my spearmaster kill trolls :( Maybe I can use it to kill any animals I catch in the future.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39782 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:28 pm »

Traders went completely dumb this year: the elves decided to go to war with our civ (but didn't bother visiting us), the humans stole our kill (first intruder in years, and of course the giantess got owned by two humans with bow and sword) and the dwarfs scuttled their wagons for no discernible reason before getting anywhere near the depot.

The "constant deathmatch" mode of the caverns is somewhat amusing, but also a bit daft. Everything's full of crundle, olm, troglodyte and cave crodocile skeletons and all forgotten beasts wear themselves down in two years or so. The current crop of seven recruits is training up nicely by now; once they finish, we should have 21 weaponmasters and 10 marksdwarfs, of a population of 53. Everyone who doesn't get trained directly at least has decent observer skill.

PS: returned to the game, and a cyclops showed up.

The active spearmaster dealt with the intruder with one punch and one stab.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:41:04 pm by Larix »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39783 on: February 16, 2015, 04:46:43 pm »

Have built my first water reactor and mist generator. I think it was needed.

Also this water reactor is a bit messy, the water reactor room has a lot of 1/7 water out but it is working well and I have had no stopping.

How do you start a water reactor anyway ? I just started mine with two 7/7 tiles of water dfhacked just before the waterwheel.

Or does it start with a 7/7 tile of water moving between 6/7 tiles ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:49:00 pm by Naryar »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39784 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »

I use a screw pump to set up flow in my reactors.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39785 on: February 16, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

The first tame buzzards and voracious cave crawlers matured. Training so many useless dwarves as mechanics pays off, I got my second artifact mechanism, this one unfortunately through a possession. My entire marksdwarf squad is elites, finally. I'm sending my military out to the goblin zone right now because the siege is two months late.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39786 on: February 16, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »

Wow, never experienced such a thing.
One night creature seems to have infected some of my dwarfs in a fight, now they're turning into the same monsters and start killing my legendary carpenter, glassmaker, some mechanics and half of my squad. Nice one!

Better locked the door to my hospital.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39787 on: February 16, 2015, 06:52:40 pm »

The militia commander is a legendary biter, finally.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39788 on: February 16, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »

Wow, never experienced such a thing.
One night creature seems to have infected some of my dwarfs in a fight, now they're turning into the same monsters and start killing my legendary carpenter, glassmaker, some mechanics and half of my squad. Nice one!

Better locked the door to my hospital.
Why do you get all the Fun?

Alright, vile force of darkness, three months late this year. That mans it's time for another narrative! Macelord Kib is a bit stressed because of buzzards bothering him. I must have picked the wrong guy when I recruited him because I specifically did not pick dwarves that cracked easily under pressure. Anyways, I sent out the dwarves to meet the goblins. This time they have another troll with a dwarven name, a spearman this time. He appears to be leading the invasion this time, actually.

The two sides charge, a weak rain of projectiles flying past the dwarves. Macelord Stinthad draws first blood, bashing a swordsgob and entering a martial trance, just like last time. Hammerlord Edem steals his kill. Jerk, you already have a title. He gets his kills, though, as the rest of the militia is held up trying to kill the troll bowman. His neck is broken and he refuses to pass out from pain. Spearlord Doren gets the kill, his fourth significant, and the militia moves on. The trolls and goblins are all killed, the last to die is a bowgob.

There are no casualties, no wounded, no edge-of-your-seat battles. I guess this wasn't such a narrative after all.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39789 on: February 16, 2015, 08:22:48 pm »

Because I sealed the first cavern, a forgotten beast came via the third one. Too bad it was a spider so I didn't get bones from it.
Now it's time to secure the cavern.

Cavern #1 has no lands so I built floors over the water and destroyed all the walls.
Cavern #2 has not been revealed.
Cavren #3 seems normal, it has various kinds of mushroom trees and a lake.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:26:44 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39790 on: February 16, 2015, 09:45:36 pm »

The forgotten beast Omo Echocaverns, a giant three-eyed tyrannosaur, continues to bedevil Nutsmansion nearly three years after his death.  In life, he only managed to strangle a legendary weaver before the militia cut him to shreds.  But since his death, I have kept finding piles of his noxious secretions in the most unexpected places.  The extract appears to cause total paralysis and violent bleeding once it makes contact with a creature's exposed skin.  Fortunately, the dwarves of the Future Corridor wear leather shoes (the overseer's foresight in action).  Their free-roaming animals--dogs, cats, and a war leopard--were not so lucky.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:33:06 pm by Huntthetroll »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39791 on: February 16, 2015, 09:46:09 pm »

While digging sluices to expand my underground canal, I accidentally channeled over a floodgate. I've never seen 7/7 water rise so fast. Now I can plant a garden in my hospital. Oh well, I wanted to shut it all down to rig pressure plates to handle some of my lever functionality, plus close off the central loch when the water under my wells get too low. Which happened at the same time my booze got too low; so that's why my dwarves were suddenly working so slowly. I wish I could put pressure plates under my booze supply, so an alarm would ring when the weight goes under  50 kegs.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39792 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:07 pm »

My legendary bone carver carved a masterwork wolf bone figurine of one of my tamed wolves mortally wounding an ettin that had attacked my fortress.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39793 on: February 16, 2015, 10:40:07 pm »

The aforementioned forest fire is causing cave-ins (well, tree-ins).

It also does NOT say "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" but "Something has collapsed on the surface!", which is nice.

That's what happened to me during a dragon attack.  The fire permanently altered the landscape in ways that caused my fort to crash on save, until version 40.24 came out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #39794 on: February 16, 2015, 11:04:05 pm »

My legendary bone carver carved a masterwork wolf bone figurine of one of my tamed wolves mortally wounding an ettin that had attacked my fortress.
Awesome.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2651 2652 [2653] 2654 2655 ... 3842