Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2650 2651 [2652] 2653 2654 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104075 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39765 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:15 am »

It finally happened. For the first time ever, a kobold stole an artefact from me.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39766 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:32 am »

I want my fort back  :'(
Create an adventurer?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39767 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:54 am »

About fourteen of my dwarves are all perched up in the same damn fungiwood. About a third of them are sleeping as well.

Apparently they all banded up there to kill a giant bat.

I think I will just armor and weapon my civilians considering how much they go into fights with subterranean predators. Surprisingly there has been nearly no deaths due to this.

Edit: Oh a cyclops. I'll tame it and put it to work on the smithy.

Edit 2: My tame minotaur, while getting him out of his cage, was all emo. Then he got killed by a soldier. Oh well, apparently you can't tame semimegabeasts.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:28:01 am by Naryar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39768 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:08 am »

I JUST CAUGHT

A FEMALE

GIANT SPARROW

and also a female jabberer.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39769 on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:50 am »

Giant sparrows are honestly meh. At least you can set them as hunting animals flying meatshields for your soldiers. But they don't breed that fast...

Jabberers are awesome however.

Current catching tally : three giant bats, three giant cave spiders (ALL FEMALE :O) and a dozen cave crocodiles.

There's also a random giant toad and a few reachers/hungry heads which are going straight into the magma.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39770 on: February 16, 2015, 09:56:05 am »

Getting kind of lonely. No visits from the kobolds across the savanna, no-one from the evil mountains clustered just off my range, and titans on the other side of the range haven't noticed me. Yup, there are two of them, in shrines sitting side-by-side.

The only hazards have been construction. I needed to build roofs on guard towers that expand out at the top floor to make them unclimbable, so I stupidly built an isolated up/down scaffold tower off to the side. There have been 4 injuries in dismantling the scaffold. Maybe it's not so stupid though; I'm considering whether to make safer scaffolding next time, or give my doctors more practice.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39771 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:30 am »

I modded all giant animals to be war/hunting trainable, so giant sparrows are useful. I caught a second female giant sparrow and they laid eggs. Now I just have to wait. I also have a shitload of voracious cave crawlers now, some of them children, one is tamed. My spearmaster named his masterwork steel spear. I'm going to armor my military as soon as I find another useless dude to turn into an armorer.

I finally finished lining the entire map border with cage traps! On a 4x4 embark, that's over 700 cage traps. I couldn't have done it without my legions of glassmakers and my two legendary mechanics.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39772 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:02 am »

Oh, giant sparrows... I assumed giant cave swallows. Nevermind then.

I finally finished lining the entire map border with cage traps! On a 4x4 embark, that's over 700 cage traps. I couldn't have done it without my legions of glassmakers and my two legendary mechanics.

I have done the same in my caverns. Sometimes I overflow in crundles, evil eyes and hungry heads.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39773 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:40 am »

I just wait for the cavern critters to come to me. Also, I gelded all my cats now that I have enough to keep down the creepy crawlers.

The merchants came, and as usual, I bought all the low-quality steel gear they had for melting. My legendary weaponsmith is down in the forges, making copper caps until he's a legendary armorsmith. I also got some strawberry seeds from the fire imps, meaning I now have 8 different above ground crops for my two farm plots. Cool.

EDIT: I told my marksdwarves to go around and kill all the lingering giant sparrows, so they did, and I got new sparrows. But I also caught a giant leopard gecko which is cool. I got a forgotten beast in the first cavern, but since I have nothing important there I just closed the drawbridge. It killed some pesky trogs I couldn't get to, so that's helpful. It killed them too quickly to see what its poison gas did, though.

EDIT2:

ONE PIECE OF GOOD NEWS AFTER ANOTHER
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:07:48 pm by TheFlame52 »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39774 on: February 16, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

I modded all giant animals to be war/hunting trainable, so giant sparrows are useful. I caught a second female giant sparrow and they laid eggs. Now I just have to wait. I also have a shitload of voracious cave crawlers now, some of them children, one is tamed. My spearmaster named his masterwork steel spear. I'm going to armor my military as soon as I find another useless dude to turn into an armorer.

Congrats. Now just get a siege on flying mounts.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39775 on: February 16, 2015, 01:01:05 pm »

Congrats. Now just get a siege on flying mounts.
I also have six legendary +5 militia dwarves. My militia commander once took out an entire siege on his own. I think I'll be fine.

EDIT: I just caught a giant jaguar. Cool.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:20:26 pm by TheFlame52 »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39776 on: February 16, 2015, 02:56:24 pm »

My first forgotten beast has happened. After six years and more than 85 dwarves, what the hell ?

Also it was a great hairy nematode with noxious secretions. Nematode meaning it has it's brain in in body, and no bones, so not exactly threatening.

Also a few days after the FB attacked an ettin happened. Four semimegabeasts in one year ? That's a lot.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39777 on: February 16, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »

So I wanted to do something about the scary FB in the first cavern, so I made a little drop zone with an artifact hatch and dumped some goblins into the caverns. They killed the FB, but took two casualties. I recaptured all but one, which was dispatched by my hammerlord.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39778 on: February 16, 2015, 03:52:48 pm »

Fighting a troll in the caverns with a whip.. too awesome to imagine. Wish i had more of those  :)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39779 on: February 16, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »

One of my legendary swordsdwarves got possessed and made an artifact dress... which she named after herself.

"Sarvesh Bombrekstukón, Swordmaster has created Sarvesh Bombrekstukón, a llama wool dress!"
Pages: 1 ... 2650 2651 [2652] 2653 2654 ... 3842