Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2648 2649 [2650] 2651 2652 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104380 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39735 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:15 am »

FUCK THIS SHIT MY MILITIA CAPTAIN JUST TACKLED A RECRUIT THROUGH A WALL AND THEY BOTH FELL TO THEIR DEATHS BRB KILLING GAME
Do you mean 0007444: Sparring dwarves (and other creatures) can knock each other through walls with charge attacks or similar issue? Try to leave at least one tile wide rim around your barracks area to make sure they don't do this (...too often. at least).
It's not a bug, it's a stern lesson that dwarves were not meant to live in aboveground constructions, least of all wooden ones. Who do you think you are, humans?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39736 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:45 am »

If you have no need of them at all, you can dump them in magma. However, a sustainable fort must have means of food production, so you should keep enough to match consumption of meat.

Just keep them for meat and breed them sustainably...or is that just not dwarven enough?
I don't need meat. I have over five thousand units of prepared meals.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39737 on: February 15, 2015, 11:16:54 am »

Just keep them for meat and breed them sustainably...or is that just not dwarven enough?
I don't need meat. I have over five thousand units of prepared meals.
I don't need bones, either. I don't really use them for anything. I have more than four thousand silver bolts and I sell old clothes, since my several legendary clothiers pump out masterwork socks like nobody's business.

The kid made a bone battle axe, so I think I'm going to finally set up a justice system so I can give the axe to my captain of the guard.
Still, you have them now, why not build a large tower and drop them from it, then build a butcher shop next to it? You might get some extra leather from limbs flying off, and you can always start making bone crafts to sell to trade caravans... (also, trolls and troglodytes aren't butcherable unless you've modded the game, I don't know about the rest of them)

Also, you may want to rethink giving a artifact axe to your guard captain, I don't know if it's fixed but they used to use weapons when giving supposedly nonlethal beatings. Your hammerer could make better use of it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #39738 on: February 15, 2015, 11:21:26 am »

That might be the point. A bone axe will be relatively non-lethal, even at artifact quality.

Also, build a gatehouse with murderholes in the roof and rain living monsters down on invaders!

(also, trolls and troglodytes aren't butcherable unless you've modded the game, I don't know about the rest of them)

I suspect Flame is playing their modded fire imps or something similar.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39739 on: February 15, 2015, 11:31:02 am »

I think I'm going to take the old barracks, lock the military in them, and release all my waste animals in there. For practice. Then I can butcher all the hungry heads and such.

Also, the dwarven and impish caravans arrived. Let's see how well they like my new trade depot.

(also, trolls and troglodytes aren't butcherable unless you've modded the game, I don't know about the rest of them)

I suspect Flame is playing their modded fire imps or something similar.
I'm actually playing dwarves this time. Vanilla dwarves.

EDIT: Between my legendary weavers, my legendary dyers, and my legendary clothiers, I'm pumping out clothing items well over 2000U.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:46:04 am by TheFlame52 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39740 on: February 15, 2015, 11:59:05 am »

Well I stopped "playing" the game. I just let it run in the background.

I built a GCS silk farm. It worked fine, though I no longer need silk anymore.

Everything is fine, except there's still no babies. 36th year.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39741 on: February 15, 2015, 12:04:08 pm »

Having 5000 prepared meals stocked is not sustainable, it is simply a big store. In the long term, a fort must produce the same amount of food as it consumes.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39742 on: February 15, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »

OPERATION: CLEAN THE CRITTERS
ROUND 1
CRITTERS
 - 4 BLIND CAVE OGRES
 - 6 HUNGRY HEADS
 - 1 TROLL
RESULTS
ALL DEAD - CORPSES DISPOSED OF
NO INJURIES
SLIGHT SKILL INCREASE

EDIT: An ettin arrived! However, he arrived on the half of the map that isn't cage trapped. Speaking of which, my glassmakers are getting better, they are producing cages faster than my mechanics can install them! I need more mechanics. Anyway, I sent the spearmaster after him so that he could get more kills. The ettin killed a pet bird and then died under the dwarf's spear. That makes two notable kills.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:24:44 pm by TheFlame52 »

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39743 on: February 15, 2015, 12:53:54 pm »

Not looking good for my new fort.
Right after a big migrant wave, a forgotten beast came to say hello. Luckily, my dwarfs were quick enough to block the cavern entry.
After a long time, it finally decided to leave. But only a few minutes later the next FB comes in! What the hell?! I'm tired of waiting now.
My 2 glassmakers are working hard, i wanna set up a few weapontraps, then i will make the cavern entry free und try to fight it.
Its time for "all or nothing" now. :o

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39744 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:39 pm »

FBs are immune to traps.

ROUND 2
CRITTERS
 - 3 MOLEMARIANS
 - 2 MOLMARIAN PUPPIES
 - 2 TROGLODYTES
 - 5 HUNGRY HEADS
RESULTS
NO INJURIES
SLIGHT SKILL INCREASE

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39745 on: February 15, 2015, 01:26:59 pm »

Yeah, i just noticed it. :D
Six brave dwarfs lost their lives.:( And also a few war dogs i think but who cares. At least the fort got saved.
I wonder how they managed to kill it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39746 on: February 15, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »

ROUND THREE
CRITTERS
 - 1 REACHER
 - 1 TROLL
 - 1 TROGLODYTE
 - 1 TROGLODYTE BABY
 - 6 HUNGRY HEADS
RESULTS
NO INJURIES - ONE CHILD TERRIFIED
SLIGHT SKILL INCREASE

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39747 on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »

Reclaimed a world-generated fortress.
Almost immediately after embark, the (hostile) baron, another baron, and king consort were discovered; everyone was recruited into our military to defeat them. Later on, after things were moved into the sprawling catacombs, a draltha snuck in through the caverns and killed a hunting dog, one of the starting miners, and the craftsdwarf. No other casualties occurred.
Before the first year had passed, a forgotten beast crawled in to the caverns, which were fully blocked off very quickly.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39748 on: February 15, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »

It hasn't eve been that long since OPERATION: CLEAN THE CRITTERS and I've already caught another reacher and some hungry heads. At least I have the infrastructure to do it again.

My question now is, should I keep my giant bugs or not? I have modded all giant animals to be war trainable, but I have much better things than bugs. I now have seven voracious cave crawlers and counting. Bugs have no child state, so they can't be fully tamed. Right now I have giant thrips, mosquitoes, moths, ticks, and lice.

EDIT: One of the thrips just went wild, I believe because my animal trainers are too busy. I'm going to slaughter all the bugs but the moths and the mosquitoes.

EDIT2: One of my peasants (grew from a kid) who was a mechanic got a strange mood and is going to be a legendary mechanic as soon as I can cut some gems.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:08:59 pm by TheFlame52 »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39749 on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »

Speaking of cleaning critters, I am overflowing in hungry heads and troglodytes and bugbats since I've cage trapped the cavern entrances. And the only vaguely interesting thing I caught was one giant toad :-X

Also, something funny happened. A few years ago I was naming my migrants, and seeing a particularly useless one I give her (jokingly) Trap Bait as a profession.

And a few days ago, while trying to haul a cage, she got interrupted by a hungry head and lost the following battle.

On top of a cage trap.

I guess it was inevitable.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:17:25 pm by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 2648 2649 [2650] 2651 2652 ... 3842