Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969341 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39270 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:52 am »

Brushaxe has chewed through a number of FBs, a bronze colossus and one horrendously-outmatched Ettin who apparently ended up in the big leagues by mistake.  Now comes the first real challenge to the dwarven supremacy - a dusty stegosaurid.  It's currently slaughtering its way through the second cavern, and I haven't engaged it because it showed up with the trade caravan from home; the military wanted their mail before they would attack ANYTHING.

Lets hope its dust isn't too deadly... wish me luck  *shudder*.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39271 on: January 23, 2015, 06:40:31 am »

Who the hell is responsible for the coin dispenser advice where you dump those coins and hope the guy one level below will increase in armour skill? I think the captain did not improve his skill - the medics might have though. The captain will soon improve in crutch-walking.

Geez, I know people who would be HAPPY if money was thrown at them. Also, there is vomit everywhere, but they'll deal with it eventually.

Do broken bones actually heal or do they stay broken and he'll need the crutch forever?

I have prepared a training spear upright spike room now - we shall see how that goes.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39272 on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:16 am »

A cyclops visited. I told the four militiadwarfs to stop sparring and stationed them at the depot. One hit with the *silver war hammer* of the only weaponmaster in the squad broke the cyclops' upper arm, the creature fainted and the almost-masterly speardwarf finished the job on the fourth stab. Since the whole squad was horrified by the demise of the poor, poor creature, i ordered it buried in a shallow grave (order channel dug under the corpse, then build a floor over the hole).

After civil discussions with other pretenders, an engraver took the crown. It took well over half a year to get her rooms up to royal quality in a 30-dwarf fort lacking high-skill engravers or furnituremakers, but we managed it eventually.

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39273 on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:03 am »

A baby and some random dwarf were killed by an undead goat and a falcon but were saved by a temporal anomaly. In other words, my game crashed and I went back to before it happened.

This time an undead goat killed my entire military, but then it crashed again.

I'm getting the "Nemesis Unit Load Failed" error. I didn't realize what kind of an error it was the first time so I thought it might have been a fluke and I could just restore and continue playing. I've got some debugging to do if I want to keep playing this embark, I guess.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39274 on: January 23, 2015, 02:12:12 pm »

I prepared an entire level of a 1x1 embark for the mass breeding of wild sparrows. Turns out wild sparrows don't hatch eggs worth a darn. One of them has died of old age and I still don't have any chicks.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39275 on: January 23, 2015, 05:16:02 pm »

Brushaxe has chewed through a number of FBs, a bronze colossus and one horrendously-outmatched Ettin who apparently ended up in the big leagues by mistake.  Now comes the first real challenge to the dwarven supremacy - a dusty stegosaurid.  It's currently slaughtering its way through the second cavern, and I haven't engaged it because it showed up with the trade caravan from home; the military wanted their mail before they would attack ANYTHING.

Lets hope its dust isn't too deadly... wish me luck  *shudder*.

Dust produced brief stunning, nothing too bad.  Forgotten beast roasts and soap for everyone, courtesy of Osnusm Echowaved the Moist Mold!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:13:16 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39276 on: January 23, 2015, 05:33:28 pm »

Goblins are a no-show. FBs are no problem. My military is legendary. I've conquered hell. My fire imp mod needs updating. I'm retiring.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39277 on: January 23, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »

Current attempt at a tree fortress, but instead of building around a tree I'm just building a fort on the tip of the tallest tree(eleven Z-levels tall connected by a single wall on the tip), then use nothing but wood to build the fort. Deforesting the entire area except for the support tree. I'm currently doing this in the middle of an elven resort.
the biggest hope is to see what happens if I light the support tree on fire, and be the first to have a burning tree wooden fortress.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39278 on: January 23, 2015, 05:59:49 pm »

In a fit of appropriateness, a possessed blacksmith decided to make a golden throne in commemoration of the elevation of his recently-crowned king.

I think we need to watch that one: he's subversively in touch with reality.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39279 on: January 23, 2015, 07:42:41 pm »

New fort, this time with dwarves. Embarked on a sandy shore with metals and flux. Gray langurs attacked but my fledgeling military killed most of them. We're eating langur tonight!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39280 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:34 pm »

I've given 15 dwarves military exemptions and conscripted the rest. I also organized the Kisat Dur (Empty Fist) the fortress guard who are going to be trained as masters of hand to hand combat.

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39281 on: January 23, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »

Some guy just decided to die in the middle of the meeting hall what an asshole

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39282 on: January 23, 2015, 09:56:55 pm »

(Yet another) FB, this one a webby earthworm, actually killed 4 of my legendary militia before taking a steel axe to the brain.  To say I am not pleased is putting it mildly; I wish I could lean into the fort and spit on the corpse.  On the upside, I drafted a bunch of my legendary loiterers and told them to suit up in steel and carry themselves to the barracks.  Imagining surly dwarves harrumphing their way to miitary drills made it a bit better (but only a bit).

Began candy production from the (very) limited amounts on my map.  Got a few weapons for my legendary folks so far, and a wifflebat for my hammerer.  Put the 10 goblin expeditionary force last year through the Cuisinart, so wondering how many will show this year.  Wear your good clothes, boys; we need that iron armor.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39283 on: January 23, 2015, 11:20:54 pm »

The Macedwarf Deler Identusung Od Gäzot from Äs Iseth has arrived.

It is terrifying! The outpost liaison who killed all my starting seven returned.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39284 on: January 24, 2015, 01:38:40 am »

The caravan has left and a migrant wave has come.
Farming continues, food/drink stores are good.
Continued military training with two small squads, sending them hunting everyone in awhile.
Dug the mines deeper and BAM hit my first cavern.
It takes up almost 3/4 of the z level map space. Dug down to explore and send spear dwarves in to kill the troll and they were successful.
Moved spear squads training area to the staircase in the cavern, send both my squads on regular hunting missions to kill giant toads, olms, trolls, and cave crocs and the giant bats too.
No forgotten beast yet.
Improved gem industry moved cut gems closer to trade post.
Improved meeting spaces, engraved a whole under ground area and furnished it with copper chairs.
About to start pumping out iron things for an above ground military, the two original squads will be used to keep things from the cavern from getting inside and two new above ground units will be used to defend against any attackers.
Also got a new artifact and it hasn't even been two years, an orthoclase bed.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 2617 2618 [2619] 2620 2621 ... 3839