Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2605 2606 [2607] 2608 2609 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102537 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39090 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:05 pm »

Nah, forum restricted spelling mistake, though I had to check to be sure.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39091 on: January 10, 2015, 03:20:51 pm »

There's no nearby trees in the caverns, thankfully. But how dangerous is a fire-spitting FB?

Depends on where "burnt dwarf-flavored bacon" will fall on dangerous if you decide to take it on directly.

If you choose to swarm it in the field, very deadly. If you choose to engage it in the middle of a 1-tile wide corridor with dwarves bearing shields, you could take it out.

But it's a vulture, right, so it's flying? Try your best to have shield-bearing marksdwarves shoot it out of the sky!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39092 on: January 10, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »

What does it mean if a child is found dead, "Contorted in fear"?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39093 on: January 10, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »

Most likely scared to death by a ghost, IIRC.

Is the ghost called Casper, by any chance? He appears to have migrated.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39094 on: January 10, 2015, 04:25:27 pm »

I... don't have any ghosts, I slabbed everything already.

Is there anything in a vanilla DF savage biome that can do that?
Like some sort of stealth monster?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39095 on: January 10, 2015, 04:29:45 pm »

I... don't have any ghosts, I slabbed everything already.

Is there anything in a vanilla DF savage biome that can do that?
Like some sort of stealth monster?

Is it possible he was killed before the slab was placed?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39096 on: January 10, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »

It's only been a few months since the last siege! I suspect this is because of my fort's insane wealth (every z-level from the surface to the magma sea is packed with gold). Well let's see if they decided to send more soldiers this time.

Twenty-three. Not bad. This should still be an easy fight. I just bought a ton of iron/steel stuff from the dwarven caravan. all of my swordsdwarves are dressed in steel mail now.

So I get my squads mobilized. They kill a few goblin recruits that run in way ahead of their squad. Let's check up on the enemy again.

Uhhh...  Guys? They brought reinforcements! No matter.   CHARGE!!!

CHARGE!!!

(blue = swordsdwarves, green = marksdwarves, red = goblins/trolls)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Total deaths: 2 killed swordsdwarfs (lashers suck!) and 5 injured.

Here they all are in the hospital.

Unfortunately My well was blocked off. So the injured dwarfs had to wait a bit before they could get their wounds cleaned. I was working on a proper cistern, and had to temporarily block it off. I was using the caverns as a source but some idiot dropped a granite block and now the water is all muddy (and another idiot got dragged in by a giant olm, adding blood and vomit to the mix.). I fixed it but the water is still muddy. Hopefully the soap will wash that out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39097 on: January 10, 2015, 04:49:56 pm »

Amazingly Militiadwarf Steelhelm (who does not, in fact, have a steel helm,) didn't bleed to death from the many cuts in his head from when the spawn shook him like a ginger baby, and Militiadwarf Urdim by some miracle isn't a spawn! Talk about good luck and a good doctor.

Several junk artifacts were made, all the bone in the fort's finally been used up making a mixture of trade goods and training bolts, two dwarves have been conscripted to replace the soldiers who possessed some truly superb drowning skills, and all my nobles now have the shit they wanted as far as rooms go.

We still have yet to appoint a hammerer or Fortress Guard, mainly because we really don't have anyone to spare for the task. But on a better note, Jackal Squad is composed of two weapon masters, two soon-to-bes, and one fast advancing recruit. One of said masters? Warrior-king Iton himself.

A containment  center for those unluckies who end up bitten has been set up, and gauntlets are being produced in hopefully sufficient numbers for the whole militia, to avoid the same incident as last time.

EDIT: And now for some reason, Iton wants a silver chair in his tomb. Well. Okay! We happen to have some silver we don't need, so this is actually a good excuse to use it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #39098 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:22 pm »

The 40.23 upgrade made a hell of a difference with my current fort. With designation prioritization, the plumbing to my grand dining hall is completed, cleaned of stones, smoothed, and the pools engraved (floors and walls) moments before the pipeline was breached to flood them. So far, no overflow. The pressure-readjustment worked, and now the wells in the hall can be put to use.

In the meantime, since the hall has been carved out (after the breach), I kept my miners busy whittling away at the Elite Housing section before working on middle-class sections. Good thing we're on that now, because we now have double the amount of dwarves we had earlier, and we're surprisingly out of housing space already. Once the Elite Quarters are carved out, my engravers are going to smooth and engrave them (after they finish up the grand dining hall), and my Legendary Dwarves will take up house in them. More useful dwarves get the larger and better suites (not stone, but quick to cut out, and still not bad, since I have legendary masons and carpenters working on the next batch of furniture). I'll be working on the Royal Suites in due time; but I do need to make a better barracks, since my current one is rather lax for what it's worth. Makes a better staging area, if anything.

With all the excess stone, and craploads, while at it, I guess I can make tons of blocks, and work on an aboveground project, or at least, wall-in my fortress a bit better, since it's getting a bit too lavish, and appealing for outsiders to poke their noses in. If anything, at least setup a trap gauntlet and a protected wagon-way for merchants. I guess I can work on dwarven condos and a perimeter wall as well. I'm not sure what else is left to do on my checklist before I dig a bit deeper and such.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #39099 on: January 11, 2015, 07:58:30 am »

Just embarked in the latest version. There's lignite, bituminous coal and limonite on the surface, and the embark screen said that there's a flux layer. Steel, here I come!

Edit: There's also tetrahedrite and hematite. Great, silver and copper as well!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:08:21 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39100 on: January 11, 2015, 08:28:31 am »

Second spawn "attack" wasn't an attack. They showed up, and then left right after, so were probably passing through.

King Iton decided that apparently he needed a Baron to boss around, so we now have a baroness, wife of the late marksdwarf who accidentally'd himself. Speaking of which, the replacement Swordsdwarf killed himself by accident too. However! A small group of migrants included a high master siege operator AKA Welcome to the militia, you get to replace the dead guy. For whatever reason he decided to go tree climbing and fell in the river.

Some artifact scepter was made, and trade was done. Seems with a good carpenter for high quality  cages and a breeding program naked mole dogs make for good exports!

Anyway, Baron Tourtempest's accommodations include billion furniture, because tetrahedrite and billion preference. I think she'll be quite pleased with her new home.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39101 on: January 11, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »

trying to empty more of my well so that I have as little mud as possible (I managed to screw up while channelling and now I have to do it manually), but um... my designations suddenly turned blue. What does that mean?

EDIT: Eh, it doesn't matter. I fixed my well... and then one of my dwarves jumps down the channels that feed the well and destroys their upper arm.

*slow clap* Well done, dwarf. I try and save you and you hurt yourself anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:11:17 pm by Oriolous »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39102 on: January 11, 2015, 04:21:42 pm »

trying to empty more of my well so that I have as little mud as possible (I managed to screw up while channelling and now I have to do it manually), but um... my designations suddenly turned blue. What does that mean?

In the current version, designations can be made "Marker Only," which means that the tiles are only marked (who would have thought!) and the dwarves won't actually mine them (what a Groundbreaking Innovation!). Seriously, this feature might actually be useful for fortress design, since it allows you to draw the "blueprints" in-game. I might actually start designing my fortresses from now on.     

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #39103 on: January 11, 2015, 05:03:41 pm »

Currently wondering how I got migrants on some random island with the only volcano in the entire world.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39104 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »

In the current version, designations can be made "Marker Only," which means that the tiles are only marked (who would have thought!) and the dwarves won't actually mine them (what a Groundbreaking Innovation!). Seriously, this feature might actually be useful for fortress design, since it allows you to draw the "blueprints" in-game. I might actually start designing my fortresses from now on.     
Cool, now I can mark what my levers link to without worrying about accidentally mining out sections of fortress I don't want removed
Pages: 1 ... 2605 2606 [2607] 2608 2609 ... 3842