Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121191 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25:41 pm »

Just drove off an orc siege with 14 wrestlers, only four of which had any armor other than a shield (he is a fool who does not give his soldiers shields). Only one casualty. Better than I expected. I'll need real armor for my 9 remaining unarmored though, and real weapons. If the orcs siege next season I'll be in trouble, I don't think I can run off multiple squads unless I get lucky or a good migrant wave.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:18 pm »

I'm kind of dissapointed.  My plan of capturing the blue dragon was too well planned, it went without a hitch, no fun to be had.

It took a couple times because after the sacrificial lamb got too far away the dragon just went back to hovering in it's little spot, so I had to make sure the lamb was never too far away before he ran into my lean to shelter.  And the dragon landed neatly in the cage trap.  Not a scratch on my sacrifice.

I guess I'll have to tame the thing and chain it to a steel chain in the fortress entryway...*sigh*

EDIT:
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:01:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2009, 11:52:46 pm »

Don't click this if you want dwarfy fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2009, 12:31:05 am »

Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:37:14 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 03, 2009, 12:39:34 am »

I just lost my above ground log-cabin-freezing-biome fort. An orc Axelord slipped past my defenses while I wasn't looking and murdered my newly trained militia. He then proceeded to let in the rest of the orcs who then proceeded to hunt down and massacre my dwarves. It was hilarious.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 03, 2009, 02:08:55 am »

Just before tea, the humans came, and I realised that I have around 20K db of roasts for the elves (Yes... I trade with the elves... Thier hoards of silk cloth is an easy way to massively multiply money AND get free bins, plus clothes, cause I don't like dwarves walking around naked ... I find immodesty distasteful), and another ~50K db for the humans. My trade situation is sweet.

In addition, the stone smoothers have cleared the boulders from my fort, so I can finally change the entrance from the entrance which I cannot seal because it is too close to the map edge (needed to settle there to start farming early), to a more defendable position, on the top of the mountains.

All was good. I had all my jobs running perfectly (although fortress guard is a little short), and my first magma forges are starting up, so I can start metal production, since I have already destroyed my furnace, wood burner and metalsmiths forge, for thier magma equivelents. In fact, I just got a message that my magma smelters and magma forges are turning on and off again as the magma levels rise and fall to 3/4, and 4/4 :D Nothing can go wrong now.

Whats this?? My blacksmith has got a mood?? Oh...

Fun.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2009, 02:59:35 am »

Embarked on a volcanic island in a massive ocean bay.  As such, the only civilizations in contact with me are the dwarves.  I've had zero sightings of kobolds or goblins, and I suspect it may stay that way.  I don't even get human or elven caravans (the fact I get migrants and dwarf caravans is pretty amazing, I'm easily 7+ ocean tiles from any land).  The worst of my problems have been rhesus maques, that's it.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2009, 03:45:38 am »

I'm not leaving this message.
Signature goes here.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:02 pm »

Good news: apparently the orcs in this word are wimps. Killed 60 of them with mostly wrestlers. Had two squads of hammerdwarves in steel chainmail, only one squad trained, and three squads of wrestlers. Much easier than I remember the orcs being, especially since they had me outnumbered. I only had 22 soldiers, whatever happened to "Orcs kill you dead"?

Bad news: Just realized one of those wrestlers is my farmer. And he's legendary. Luckily I had all dwarves harvest on, so my carpenter/mason/metalsmith has a little farming, but it'll be at least a year of just farming before he's skilled enough to feed the fortress. Until then, I'll have to get by on my breeding program and a well. Hopefully I'll get a migrant wave with some more food dwarves. Ugh.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 03, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »

a year and a half ago, my fight against the dreaded fire maiden of my local volcano (legendary lands mod, whoo) resulted in the loss of both my picks (i had my miners drafted as crossbowmen and a lizardman stole my damn picks!)
This was a dreaded period of far too many dwarves in a tiny soil layer community centre with a handful of beds, two tables and a statue..
three immigrant waves gave me nothing but farmers and woodcutters and there was an abundance of wood. And halfway through the mine-drought, my starting woodcutter decided to make an artifact door, which now sits between the food stocks and the community centre.
now, i JUST got hold of an anvil and made six picks, so now my fortress is rolling once again! i've just dug out a large meeting hall and offices for the outpost leadership, and designated a bunch of bedroom clusters

Also started work on my lava moat, but i think i just cut my fortress off from the outside world, whoops

Voltaggia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2009, 01:19:14 pm »

Just made a cool artifact - Plum Agate Table named Hungersable the Factional Cusp. After a quick look on the dictionary, the name shines in its awesomeness.

Digging a room for the Incoming King. Once all the stone is hauled out, the peasantry will haul the stone from the to-be tower cap farm.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »

I just got a adamantine artifact from a metalcrafter.

it's name?

"Perishedfastens the Trustworthy Deification"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/poojawamanthing/Lolwut.jpg

it's worth 750,000 dwarf bucks though. Of course my value is 173,539,590

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

I think I'm about to get a big ambush. It's not announced as a siege, but I was messing around in DF (mainly because a third of the fort is attending a party and that includes a bunch of deactivated recruits -- I will admit to my status as a cheater when it comes to finding hidden things) and there's eighteen goblins and two humans hidden. I'm pretty sure them being hidden disqualifies them as siegers. My last ambush only had ten or eleven people, though, and no non-goblins.

There're also a few Kobolds running around, but they're no threats. They're actually kinda cute, in a sad, pathetic way.

I wonder if I can get ambushed AND sieged in the same season in an early fort, in the winter when I haven't ticked off the elves or humans? I still want an official siege and not just a crapload of ambushers.

For now, I'm just gonna send almost my whole military after them. Including little recruits. You know, for Fun! Post may be edited as bloodshed ensues.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2009, 12:19:05 am »

I found brimstone.

In a fort called "Heatscalded the destroyer of demons."
Guess what I'm going to do with it?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2009, 12:49:48 am »

Lost a founder to an ambush.  She was a miner and a damn good one.  It's a shame, really, but it happens.  A couple of other dwarves died for stupid reasons.  One went into a fey mood mid winter and was demanding silk cloth.  Gotta grab that stuff early to avoid these things.  The other, a legendary marksdwarf, took an arrow to the chest.  Some random children and babies ate it too.

Despite the deaths my dwarves are coping quite well.  Even the husband of the marksdwarf is still in an ecstatic mood.  Thank Armok for sunshine.  And they sold their lives dearly.  For every dwarf slain, 50 goblins lay rotting in my refuse stockpile.  And it's about to get better.

Earlier in the year I made a purchase of two large jaguars.  They just had their first cubs.  Can you say jaguarsplosion? 

...cause I can't.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7566-theblack-brewofguile
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 3842