Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2597 2598 [2599] 2600 2601 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106747 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38970 on: January 05, 2015, 08:35:44 pm »

Just ruthlessly slaughtered my fifth (?) major siege of goblins and trolls... had to dig a magma chute from the surface to toss all the bodies/useless loot faster.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38971 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:18 pm »

Just had a troll rush from the stairway and knock an unopposed Bronze Colossus into the dry moat. This is now the perfect moat.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38972 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »

A water forgotten beast came.
And it just lurked in the water so I counld't send dorfs to kill it.
I wonder if it wanted to path into my well.

A gremlin.
And my military lost track of it.

I used two squads to lure the FB out of water and killed it.

"Let there be peace throughout the world."
He didn't feel anything seeing a blahblah died.<a long list here>

I checked the thoughts of my militia commander.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:11:19 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38973 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:48 pm »

As Winter of year 2 draws to a close, I am fast approaching the first Cavern.  Here is the state of my metal stocks;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also have lots and lots of Flux Stone, to the point where 75% of my furniture is made of Chert ::)  I disabled the use of Chert once I hit Granite and Kaolinite.  Thankfully the Giant animals of my little tundra provide sufficient bone to equip a Marksdwarf squad with bows & bolts.  However, any melee Dorfs will be relying on Gemstone armaments and whatever decent pieces I can snag from invaders once they show up (which at the current rate of gold smithing, should be any day now).

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38974 on: January 05, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »

A rhino reverted to wild state right after some giraffes were temporarily pastured in her paddock. She charged, broken the female's leg so she fell over, then stomped her head until it exploded like a ripe melon filled with meat.

She then charged the male, who dodged... causing her to stumble neatly into the emergency cage line.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38975 on: January 06, 2015, 12:40:53 am »

I've been having a lot of FUN with my new fort on my laptop. First trouble was a wereass showing up and murdering about five dorfs before being put down the husband of one of the dead was bitten, and is now himself a wereass. I've locked him in his own private gallery to fill with beautiful artwork, and he made an artifact, completing his life's dream; hauntednegated the cassiterite trumpet. From there onndorfs have been dying in unfortunate circumstances, including giant bats and a giant cave spider that assaulted the soldiers going to rescue the victim of the giant bat, which killed an extra ~5 dorfs.

Then there was a goblin siege. The only dorf left outside was a baby whose mother was killed by the gcs, now named Patches; when the goblin squad got to her, they just followed her around as she tried to flee. Eventually I mustered a couple squads and while half the goblin force was playing with the cage traps and the other was holding the kid hostage (following her around), I opened a point in the walls and released them. The fight was brief and brutal, and was a complete route with only one escaping goblin. The only friendly fatality? The babies' father, a ranger, who flew into a rage and bulrushes the goblin squad immediately outside. The kid and several soldiers suffered injuries at that point; I guess when the dwarves were released the goblins tried to execute the hostage.

Patches can't stand on her own anymore, but she survived to reach childhood. She is now hopping around on her crutches spamming cancellations because she's "shaken." Poor kid.

Anyway, after that came the cyclops attack. Two fatalities; one civilian and one soldier. Then the minecart accident while testing my trap hall of doom; one ranger killed by suffocation after being crushed under a solid gold minecart, multiple times. So at least it works...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38976 on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:14 am »

I saved before channeling a large area of floors (40.19).
Just as expected, crash!

So I removed all mining jobs from all of them but one after reloading the save.

Some blind cave ogres smashed a door and rushed into my fort.
I didn't notice until I saw the message about some animal caretaker was found dead.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:23:52 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38977 on: January 06, 2015, 04:35:33 am »

What's going on in the world?

Either the RNG is being really weird, or your civ is being eaten alive in a war, and the merchants are refugees.

The civilization was almost dead already when I started the fort; I think only the last king was alive as a bandit leader somewhere. Supposedly these merchants came from somewhere but there aren't any other settlements in this civilization. In that context merchants immigrating isn't that weird, I suppose.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38978 on: January 06, 2015, 04:45:23 am »

I'm running with a pop cap of 7. Two pairs of the original seven have been 'living in sin' for four years now. GET MARRIED ALREADY! :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38979 on: January 06, 2015, 05:24:34 am »

Oh great, king consort is also a baron of my former mountainhome. Who's in charge of mountainhome now?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38980 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:12 am »

Some wildfire !!science!!. Trees when burning somehow collapse and penetrate several floors like phallic symbols they are. Also fruits appear to be non-flammable, so now I've got fields of ashes covered in limes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:36:55 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38981 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:05 am »

Managed to survive a Siege with only the loss of a Marksdwarf and of a Wrestler.
Gotta finish the trapped entrance soon.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38982 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:40 am »

An update on my fort.
24 dwarves. First mood. Tetrahedrite scepter.
Almost 2500 food and food-related items.
60 meat, 147 fish, 1445 plant, 187 seeds, 596 drink, 38 other.
For 24 dwarves, I think that's good.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38983 on: January 06, 2015, 09:32:05 am »

My mayor vampire is now completely pacified by hammering. Being paralyzed he can no longer drink blood, but why won't he die?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38984 on: January 06, 2015, 09:57:54 am »

An elven caravan arrived and sold my dorfs some giant pets. My dorfs dumped all those tattered clothes to them.
Then my broker died. I don't know how he fell maybe he got bored and jumped.
 ::)

One of my miner was badly wounded in a cave-in. He's the reason why I made a traction bench.

Another wereskink attacked but since I always had soldiers stationed near the entrances, it didn't do any damage. The battle lasted for a while, it appeared the were had some dodging skills.

Lots of cundles surrounded my cavern entrance. I was too lazy to deal with them so I just locked the doors.

I dumped all their worn clothes, but then I noticed some naked dorfs. So 2 clothiers workshop working 24/7 were not enough?

Now the fortress was getting old and boring. Maybe it's time to move on and try 40.23 (or should I wait for 40.24?)

Pages: 1 ... 2597 2598 [2599] 2600 2601 ... 3842