Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106420 times)

bananaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38865 on: January 01, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »

My fort has 118 people, but no source of weapons-grade metal, so it has no army.
Unfortunately, I got attacked by a fire-breathing cockatoo titan who burned down my bridges I use to defend the fortress!
I'm hunkered in behind a wall now...

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38866 on: January 01, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »

Suddenly: Magma.

You folks all know how lava/magma flow works, right? Well I was just minding my own business with a stairway down to the great magma sea next to a volcano. No problem. Then, a month later, *bloop* magma wells up three levels of the staircase. Why? What did I do? :/. Luckily it hasn't flooded anywhere important, but I don't know what got it going in the first place.
()==[:::::::::::::>

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38867 on: January 01, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »

made another staircase and im mining around the demons :P

havent ran out of adamantine, but the slow pace even with 2 extractors make it a long process. however, i have made enough for finishing the work with the axes and can focus completelly into armors.

and maybe, spears, but i doubt an adamantine spear is a good investment.

the problem now is that im reaching the magma sea, and soon wont be able to prospect more of the material, at least for one of the pillars, need to think how to surround the pillars with obsidian in order to keep mining them. that and without opening another hole for the demons.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:50:29 pm by xaritscin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38868 on: January 01, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »

Migrants arrive in time for the fruit harvest! Maybe they won't need to survive off river water after all. Put one of the migrants to work carving alligator bones, and one migrant had some skills as a wrestler so I gave her an axehammer and set up a basic training space for the trio to run drills at. Hopefully I'm far enough out that I won't be pestered for a year or two though.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #38869 on: January 01, 2015, 04:32:23 pm »

"A human diplomat from Darokanthath has arrived."

Okay, cool. Oddly enough, it seems like the camera has zoomed over to...an N with a tilde over it? "Otu Playfulcandy, law-giver vampire". I've never seen that before. Well, I just hope she behaves herself...

Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38870 on: January 01, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »

Well, I just hope she behaves herself...
She won't. Make sure you meet her soon and get the diplomacy over with so she can leave.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38871 on: January 01, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »

Have begun metal/weapons production
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #38872 on: January 01, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »

Well, I just hope she behaves herself...
She won't. Make sure you meet her soon and get the diplomacy over with so she can leave.

The diplomacy went quickly, and apparently she went off with no ill effects! :D
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38873 on: January 01, 2015, 04:57:16 pm »

"Otu Playfulcandy, law-giver vampire"
"Playfulcandy"? Did they send a vampire prostitute to your fortress?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38874 on: January 01, 2015, 06:04:03 pm »

"Otu Playfulcandy, law-giver vampire"
"Playfulcandy"? Did they send a vampire prostitute to your fortress?

more like "playfulladamantine" :v

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38875 on: January 01, 2015, 06:10:23 pm »

What's probably known is the layout of the shortest-period output-capable minecart repeater:
Code: [Select]
z+1      z+0     z+0, track
#▼▼#     #▲▲#    #══#

Cycle time is 18 steps. It can only "output" its period to another cart standing on level floor just outside the pit. I was curios, so tried my hand at building a counting circuit for such a fast oscillator. It requires halving the frequency first, which is a bit fiddly in and of itself, but it can be done.

Code: [Select]
..▼
..▼ <- 19-step oscillator
.#═╗
╔═▼║  <- track in pit: ╗
▼+▼╝#       ╔          ╚
▼  <- track:║
═╗
xx

The "feeding" oscillator is to the north, the main pulse splitter is the central part, to the southwest the connection to the next counting circuit. The splitter contains two minecarts. Everytime the oscillator sends a pulse, a cart stands on the floor/track tile just south of the oscillator pit and is pushed into the angled-track pit from the north. It accelerates (further) on the SW track ramp, then tries to climb the NE ramp to the east. If the second cart of the circuit is not currently in the exit tile, the cart climbs out and finishes the circuit, returning to the oscillator's output tile, which it reaches after about 13 steps, in time to take the next pulse.
If the second cart of the splitter circuit is in the angled-track exit tile, the moving cart passes its impulse on to that cart (which cycles over to the oscillator output), accelerates to the north and leaves the pit to the northwest, turns around to the south and enters the pit which feeds the _next_ counter circuit (xx). It pushes that circuit's awaiting cart standing at the southern exit, then accelerates back north, takes the ramp corner to the east and climbs to the _smooth floor_ tile next to the splitter circuit's pit. Since it comes from normal floor, the cart doesn't enter the pit, but jumps over it and remains in flight until it hits the wall behind the track corner, coming to a stop on the splitter pit's exit (instead of following the track corner north). This entire process takes about 30 steps, significantly longer than one period of the oscillator; the remaining cart will go one full cycle in the meantime and has just started on its second round when the "transmitter" cart arrives in its resting tile, triggering the next transmission.

Result: on every second pulse of the oscillator, a signal is passed on to the counter to the southwest. Timing is pretty tight: the normal "push and return" routine of the splitter cart takes 14 steps, it barely clears the area before the next pulse from the oscillator arrives. Startup must be done carefully, the first cycle in the splitter can end up too slow to catch the second pulse. The receiving counting circuit still must be very tightly constructed, not every design is capable of handling an input with a 36-step period. The reaction periods in the circuit i built weren't all 18, they ended up 17,18,18,19 (repeat). That must have been an effect of build order discrepancies between carts.

There are faster oscillators possible (fastest non-powered that i know of is 4,833 steps), but this should be the fastest one that can actually generate a "push" output without power.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:12:25 pm by Larix »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38876 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:00 pm »

captured another jabberer, now i have a working pair, but havent finished domestication, its taking quite the time TBH.

built two more craftsdwarf workshops to see if i can speed up the adamantine processing. need to get more wafers as fast as possible.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:53:49 pm by xaritscin »

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38877 on: January 01, 2015, 09:25:25 pm »

A forgotten beast made of mud is rampaging about the caverns. It doesn't have a path to my fortress yet. Hopefully I can arm my militia before it figures out how to climb.

There are two magma pools in the first cavern layer. I've played dwarf fortress for a couple years but I haven't done anything with magma other than smelting. I might try to kill that forgotten beast with it. So far five dwarfs have fell in the pool, and another was killed by magma crabs. I just recently lost a craftsdwarf to a giant bat that flew in. So you could say things are going pretty smoothly.

EDIT: The forgottem beast got loose and killed everthing. That was fun!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:02:59 pm by xub313 »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38878 on: January 01, 2015, 09:28:42 pm »

playing at a rate of 17 FPS in average quite slow, but manageable. produced some wooden shields for my militants, and they are training shields now. well, at least half of them. axedwarves have adamantine weapons already.

im waiting for my stone stockpile to run out, there's still adamantine to gather from the recently mined parts but the stockpile is practically 50% adamantine which is still being processed even with 4 workshops working full time.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38879 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:26 pm »

My military had a bad habit of jumping through fortifications while sparring.
I put them in a walled off room to see if they still jumped.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 3842