Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106327 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38850 on: December 31, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »

cage traps have made their function, got several creatures. mostly elkbirds....mining for more adamantine, what i can get without fucking it.

have a large number of strands but not enough wafers for anything, well, at least not for armor or large amount of weapons.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38851 on: December 31, 2014, 09:04:46 pm »

My map has a magma pool and lots of obsidian. Animals are all giants but peaceful.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38852 on: December 31, 2014, 09:35:09 pm »

captured a jabberer, dis gon b gud...oh and got more adamantine as i search for the remaining lvls of the spire. have many ores but havent produced enough wafers for equipment.

another FB, a beakless sparrow with deadly blood. easy to kill the problem is that i dont know which effect will have the blood of it. well the dorfs can clean themselves anyways. yeap it was a mortal syndrome, oh well. have spare dwarves and wasnt many injured i guess.

the caged troglodytes had two babies..

and it seems i have a giant olm and a GCS trapped too. interesting.

seems i have enough for making adamantine swords, good. also, dont know why i got a menacing message from the elves. had cut very few trees.

no problem with the elves right now, got a minotaur attack, only killed a fisherdwarf. rapidly dispatched. some of the caught humanoids have died, need to empty the cages. increased knowledge about elk birds and got two baby rutherers. everything going along. oh, and made 10 adamantine swords. waiting a bit before making the next batch of weapons, which should be, the axes. after that its just armor.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:14:22 am by xaritscin »

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38853 on: January 01, 2015, 01:08:06 am »

Happy New Year!

Princeshield has fended off its first tower siege with the power of drawbridges. Nothing I'd attempted before, but there's a first time for everything. The caverns have been left untouched (no military yet), but magma smelters and forges are prepped for the beginning of the iron industry.

No caravan at the end of autumn... wonder if the zombies scared them off.

Will have to ensure that no necromancers get the jump on the front gates. The grazing pastures are within view, so those animals should tip me off if something's wrong... But better to be safe than sorry.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38854 on: January 01, 2015, 02:26:10 am »

Struck tetrahedrite so now I can start making metal weapons for my soon to be military
Also dug past the cinnabar filled layers of sediment down to granit filled with jems
Got a migrant wave with three~four dwarves, each very useful
My gem 'industry' has begun so good trade items for better metals and more seeds
It is also early fall of the first year for this fort
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38855 on: January 01, 2015, 02:34:15 am »

I reloaded a backup save and got the same immigrant wave.
It seemed the immigrants were already decided and actually "travelled" to my site.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38856 on: January 01, 2015, 09:07:42 am »

I'm channeling out the ground so I can have a fortress in a natural island in an artificial lake inside a giant glass pyramid.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38857 on: January 01, 2015, 09:46:53 am »

There was a hole in my cavern and I didn't notice until 3 bind cave ogres attacked.
They killed a new migrant. Another one lost a hand.

My military didn't have proper weapons yet, so the militia commander literally punched two of them to death. Well he had punched 4 troglodytes before. All victims got a fractured skull.

Maybe I shall name him Thikut Ironfist.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:50:08 am by utunnels »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38858 on: January 01, 2015, 10:01:43 am »

The militia commander should have broken his knuckles unless he was wearing gauntlets. Maybe a legendary fighter who had hardened his knuckles by punching objects of increasing hardness could get away with it, but Newton's third law means the same force goes back into the puncher's knuckles, and knuckles are not usually stronger than skulls, so if the skull fractures, so do the knuckles.

Poorly trained dwarves damaging themselves by attacking badly - a good feature for a future combat update.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #38859 on: January 01, 2015, 10:51:36 am »

I'm finally starting my military - and it's only year 6!

I've built and above-ground training area that the military can practice in so they're not disorientated and vomiting all the time, though it'll have to be expanded. The entire surface area I've secured needs to be expanded.

My major constraint so far has been lack of fuel and weapon-grade metals. However, I've finally managed to trade for some. And hopefully, once the archer emplacements are finished, I can get some of that sweet, sweet goblinundeadite.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38860 on: January 01, 2015, 11:05:20 am »

producing more adamantine, and digging the rest of the areas around the spires which are above the magma layer. i calculate that at least 1/3 of my stone stockpile is composed of raw adamantine. and have produced enough wafers for making replacing the steel axes.

will need more for the armor though.

sold some of my spare garbage to humans, mostly the animals. but im still reaching lower FPS. if this continues i will have to either end the fort with FUN or with a retire.

another moody dwarf spent a wafer into an idiotic artifact (a cage)

have mined so much adamantine i have 1/2 of the stockpile full, and some is left yet.

have traded some more cautive creatures for steel.

breached one of the hollow parts by accident, but it was in an aditional chamber which could be locked quickly with the hatchcover. waiting to see if the demons return to their grounds so i can seal the spire.

nope, the demons are doing party all over the place. will have to wait until getting full sets of armor for the militia. most of the demons are of the easy type, save for some webbing, dust and flaming demons. which i dont know how will kill yet. the second option is casting all the spire in obsidian but dont have the knowledge of pumps and cannot open the hatchdoor. what i can do is let demons enter in small quantities and gradually kill them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:47:29 pm by xaritscin »

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38861 on: January 01, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »

Finally finished my 73 layer pump stack - infinite green glass serrated discs here we come!
Only have copper on this embark, but traded enough steel to equip my lone soldier in full steel.
Also, cyclopses really need a buff, one stab in the arm with a copper short sword and he keeled over in pain

2 miners just fell down the stairs, into the caverns, they instantly splatted.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:24:54 pm by Zammer990 »
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38862 on: January 01, 2015, 02:09:43 pm »

The cyclops was probably just a wimp. I've had dwarves and enemies alike with multiple broken bones fight through the pain, while others break a toe or cut thier arm with a shallow slice once and faceplant right after.
-
Heroic stand is doing well, more or less. They'll need to subsist on water until probably late summer at the earliest, when we'll be able to harvest peaches, apples, and sand pears for cider. No sign of hostile entities besides the two alligators in spring. On the upside, if more show up, the two militia dwarves will be ready with iron weapons this time; a short arming sword and boar spear (using Stal's Armory) should be more than enough to kill the local predators.

A depot is up, dining room and bedroom at least set up if not fully furnished for the soon-to-be king/queen, whoever it ends up being, space for a manager and bookkeeper are up, and CMD assigned.

Stepladders now sit patiently waiting for harvest time as well, and a few barrels to spare are waiting for the cider flow.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38863 on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »

Oh, you know, the usual... Undead camels peacefully grazing nearby, keas stealing everything that's not nailed down and on fire, weather's cloudy with a chance of fetid filth, domestic animals caught in the rain develop blisters in internal organs...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All in all, in Disuthïlon, it was a Tuesday.

On the positive side, there seems to be loads of kaolinite and dolomite here, so pottery and steel industries should be good. If I can find a source of iron ore, that is. Plus, there's sand, so hello, infinite green glass furniture!  8)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38864 on: January 01, 2015, 03:01:38 pm »

Woundmerged survived an attack by a legendary (4 names) Weresheep.  It managed to kill 3 civilians, which is 2 more than most monsters have.  There are 3 civilians in the hospital, but they have successfully made it through a full moon without transforming, so win.

I have also kicked the ridiculous up a notch (*bam!*, says Urist McEmeril) by making a new trade depot out of adamantine.  6 mil DB+ in value.  Bring it, critters.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 2589 2590 [2591] 2592 2593 ... 3842