Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2579 2580 [2581] 2582 2583 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105699 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38700 on: December 24, 2014, 12:57:07 pm »

I hit a hollow cavity; the second tube was fool's candy. I've mobilized everything and pulled the lever, its 176 of the angriest horrors fighting against 148 of Silentthunders great army and its own horrors it has readied to unleash on them in turn.
How big is your fort population if you have 148 dwarves in the military?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38701 on: December 24, 2014, 01:19:21 pm »

I hit a hollow cavity; the second tube was fool's candy. I've mobilized everything and pulled the lever, its 176 of the angriest horrors fighting against 148 of Silentthunders great army and its own horrors it has readied to unleash on them in turn.
How big is your fort population if you have 148 dwarves in the military?
176 Dwarves; all who aren't children are in the military and at least 2/3rds of the Fort will be training all year (though that number has been increasing with more aggressive training schedules.

Huh, what a coincidence. 176 in both cases...

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38702 on: December 24, 2014, 02:42:42 pm »

1st embark on the current version and I'm in a mountain/glacier.  The glacier has an aquifer that I'm trying to use for a water source but my well bucket keeps become full of ice between the water source and the upper floor where the dwarves can drink it. Its all underground and inside so why are my buckets freezing? My dump has 4 buckets each with 10 units of ice in it now and the lack of trees makes replacing them costly.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38703 on: December 24, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »

Dump the ice from inside the buckets. Don't dump the bucket, but the ice itself.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38704 on: December 24, 2014, 02:56:19 pm »

Will that work for the bucket attached to the well? I set the ice[10] to dump but none of the idlers are bothering.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38705 on: December 24, 2014, 05:19:15 pm »

May be that they need to bring the bucket to the dump to empty it.

You'll have to re-build your well anyway, so that the well itself is in a soil or stone layer: all z-levels inside a glacier are at below freezing temperature - that only makes sense, the ice making up the glacier itself would instantly melt otherwise. Inside a glacier's ice levels, water in buckets will freeze quickly (less than a day), flowing water instantly. The latter is quite interesting, because it can be used to build underground ice generators/freezing traps.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38706 on: December 24, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

I just started a new embark at a river, and this is what i found:

Dear god the hippos

Carp AND hippos in the same river ? Dear god, how it is not flowing with dwarf blood already ?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38707 on: December 24, 2014, 06:02:28 pm »

A human siege arrived. I prepped all my dwarves, waiting for the humans to break ranks and charge. Apparently this doesn't happen. They stayed there for an entire year, and a second siege arrived. No action. I'm content to keep rolling out new steel weapons and arms for my dwarves, keep raising more war dogs and gorillas. Had two squads of bronze armed accomplished axedwarves ready to break the silence, when-
He arrived.
Darmadthora Lodobin, a bronze colossus. He showed up a few squares away from the humans' farthest right soldier, on the opposite end of the map from me. I didn't expect much to happen, just a few soldiers break line and attack it. But instead, every single human on the map began a charge at the colossus. My twenty axedwarves couldn't harm the colossus, but I took this as a moment to charge. They came up behind the human army, and began lopping off limbs and putting soldiers down. Somehow, all twenty got locked in a stalemate with eight human soldiers, neither hurting each other for a week. So I sent out my last three squads, one in bronze, two in steel. These ones were to go past the distracted axe dwarves at the colossus, kill the biggest threat. Instead, they were locked in combat with the second siege. Fine. It may have taken two months in game, but my soldiers routed both sieges and the colossus. Eight dwarves of fifty died, two got away with spinal damage, a few with missing or crushed limbs, and one spent the entire time in a tree.  Despite never paying attention to formation and flanking, I just saw a fight that was actually decided by a flank charge. If that bronze colossus hadn't showed up, my axedwarves would've died to a flurry of arrows and bolts, the survivors being overwhelmed by grizzlies and humans.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38708 on: December 24, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »

Just started a new embark. The hill I'm at has got limestone, hematite, bitumous coal, and native gold in the walls. Just started and I'm set for a strong steel industry.  :D

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38709 on: December 25, 2014, 06:57:31 am »

Founded a new fort, ran out of alcohol just as the first dwarven caravan arrived. Their wagons bypass my site because I forgot to lower the drawbridge that seals of my trade depot. Some traders get in anyway, so that's fine.
But I pissed them of before I could aquire any booze from them. They start leaving.
I raised one of the bridges just in time to catapult the last one of them exiting my fortress into the air and back inside again, knocking him, his bodyguard and his stupid horse unconscious. Lowered the same bridge again, crushing all three of them beneath.
Got enough barrels of booze out of that to get my dwarves through the winter.

Dwarven Trader went 'missing'
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38710 on: December 25, 2014, 09:36:53 am »

Embarked on a raising glacial biome.

There was a wandering Yeti corpse who never tried to attack me.

Although, after I dug into the caverns, three elk birds rushed into my fort. The dorfs killed them and dumped their corpse into the atomsmasher room.

I built a stockpile and butchered one of the corpse. One of the other two raised but was locked inside the room so I smashed them both.

Then I noticed a big "E", I thought it was a corpse but it was just a feather, so I left it alone in the butchery.

However, unfortunately the elk head feather raised and started to attack my dorfs. The feather zombie was impossible to kill, nor could it kill my dorfs.

They fought for days and the two new recruits even became skilled axedwarves....

In the end, I had to use dfhack to kill the feather.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:39:05 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38711 on: December 25, 2014, 01:16:29 pm »

Do feathers still have that thing where all attacks pass through them?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38712 on: December 25, 2014, 01:19:59 pm »

temperate savannah or shrubland, has clay,soil,deep and shallow metals along with flux. all races as neighbors and is in a wilderness so moderate fun i guess. will see what happens.

everything going smooth, already dug underground farms, pens for the non grazers and an storage room, now i need a space for the workshops. found native gold, galena and limestone.

almost all workshops have been created, now preparing to dig some rooms.

rooms finished, smoothe and with furniture, had problems with food so put some dorfs to gather plants, even ran out of plump helmets, will have to wait a caravan, for now i need to finish the furniture for the last rooms.

i didnt run out of plump helmets, just was in a season where it wasnt being produced, but there's plenty of spawns for planting, which the dorfs are doing, two kobolds tried to steal stuff.

second room lvl is being constructed.

second room finished, discovered the first cavern layer some lvls down, but its mostly an underground sea/lake. a werejackal attacked, lost many dorfs and livestock. but it was finally killed when it reverted itself to human. two war dogs survived, i have to protect them so i can keep a functioning dog militia. had to form an early squad with some spare dorfs. since half of the population are children. no infected people after the attack, a good sign.

inmigrants came, preparing for making a second squad, the entrance to the caverns has been walled and has a secure system (a drawbridge). no problems as of now. second year of the fort BTW.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:29:08 pm by xaritscin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38713 on: December 25, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

Troglodyte teleported into the staircase I was digging.  I was trying to get to the caverns, but hadn't found it yet.  Kinda upset about such a bug, but I had the good sense to secure the area first, so the little zombie is caged.

Still can't found a damn military, which means all my defense is cage traps and volunteer face punchers.  I'd call that two bugs in one post.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38714 on: December 25, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »

Do feathers still have that thing where all attacks pass through them?
It was 40.19. But I didn't see a topic mentioned there was a fix.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2579 2580 [2581] 2582 2583 ... 3842