Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2541 2542 [2543] 2544 2545 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101409 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38130 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:03 pm »

a werelemur attacked the fort, hada sucession of infected dwarves as the aftermath, trying to contain them with a prison, this is gonna be annoying, working military yet. they seem to get better at the job with each outbreak. but the sucessive attacks have left me with only 30 dorfs, i fear im gonna loose the fort.

well, abandoned it to its ruin and reclaimed it, time to start again (almost).

fort almost entirely reclaimed, there was an issue with a werelemur which was hidden deep in the fort, and the infected dorfs were sent to a burrow in the hospital and locked away, the issue now is a forgotten beast, a gigantic cuadruped made of salt with deadly vapors. the entrance to the caverns was effectively closed, it will take time before getting a militia, the population is too low yet.

finally have enough dorfs for creating a militia, a cage trap was put in the entrance of the hospital in order to try to catch the infected dorf, but he hasnt entered in transformation yet. the forgotten beast has slain all the creatures in the cavern and miasma is piling out there. but the soldiers arent ready.

well it seems that werepeople can avoid traps. it escaped once i unsealed the door, time to find another world
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:23:46 pm by xaritscin »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #38131 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »

Forgotten beast broke my floodgate that dumped the cistern into the caverns, and then broke the one blocking the aquifer from the cistern. And that dropped FPS by 50. :(

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38132 on: November 22, 2014, 08:56:33 pm »

Just survived my first ever goblin siege!  Only 10 goblins, but I suckered them into my main hallway, where they fell prey to the cage and weapon traps.  8 dead, and 4 caged.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with the caged ones.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38133 on: November 22, 2014, 08:58:16 pm »

As I can't hurt this steel wolf forgotten beast without cave-ins, and I'm going this game without candy, I've worked up a system to allow me to simultaneously shut and open the fortress with levers. The main gate shuts, followed by a bridge going over the main hole, and one opening over a twisting and turning stairway of ramps for the wolf to travel up. Once a siege shows up, I'll station a dwarf on the surface, then have him retreat after releasing the wolf. Once that wolf meets the siege, they'll fight.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38134 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:20 pm »

A honey badger was enraged (by what? it just ran towards my fort from the map edge) and charged the caravan. For some reasn, the guards didn't kill it, and my squads just stood there and refused to attack. The caravan quickly packed their goods and ran away. The badger was finally killed by my dorfs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:27:03 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38135 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:48 pm »

started anew in a serene savannah, the only current challenge is no water source, except from some seasonal water holes

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38136 on: November 22, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »

I was building an artificial lake in a tropical woodland. I would close the 3 first immigrant waves into their own habitat inside the island and the rest of the immigrants would live in clay huts outside the island creating wealth for the islanders.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38137 on: November 22, 2014, 10:40:27 pm »

started anew in a serene savannah, the only current challenge is no water source, except from some seasonal water holes

You could dig an underground reservoir to collect rainwater and prevent it from evaporating.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38138 on: November 22, 2014, 10:55:34 pm »

...I'm on a joyous wild wasteland. Where the hell did this pair of cave dragons in the cavern come from? I'm not complaining, this is a wonderful opportunity. Just... They shouldn't be here.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38139 on: November 22, 2014, 10:56:55 pm »

...I'm on a joyous wild wasteland. Where the hell did this pair of cave dragons in the cavern come from? I'm not complaining, this is a wonderful opportunity. Just... They shouldn't be here.

Yes they should, they're cave dragons, meaning they'll show up in the caverns they're supposed to regardless of surface biome.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38140 on: November 22, 2014, 11:01:47 pm »

You could dig an underground reservoir to collect rainwater and prevent it from evaporating.

the last time i just kept them alive making beer nonstop with two stills, but this time i found the first cavern layer really early (a gold vein guided me) so im building a large hall for a watersource, the issue now is a troll that somehow got to the surface, all the fort is fighting him put is resilient.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38141 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:02 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC]
   [TRAINABLE]
   [EVIL]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]

Ahem. They should only be in evil biomes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38142 on: November 22, 2014, 11:11:05 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC]
   [TRAINABLE]
   [EVIL]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]

The caverns are a biome unto themselves, and far as I know that tag largely only affects what goblins can bring to the table for combat (anything with [EVIL] and [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], and possibly also either mount tag if I'm not mistaken.) The only effect on caverns regional biome seems to have is if it has  effects that affect the entire region in general, both above and below ground, while biome I'm fairly certain just denotes what you find on the surface and possible regional effects/weather.

After all, gorlaks are considered good and you can find them anywhere in the caverns too.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38143 on: November 22, 2014, 11:18:16 pm »

had to abandon and reclaim, the dorfs got stuck in a loop trying to kill the troll (no damage of any kind, not even the war dogs, they only bruised the troll's muscles)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38144 on: November 22, 2014, 11:35:18 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC]
   [TRAINABLE]
   [EVIL]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]

The caverns are a biome unto themselves, and far as I know that tag largely only affects what goblins can bring to the table for combat (anything with [EVIL] and [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], and possibly also either mount tag if I'm not mistaken.) The only effect on caverns regional biome seems to have is if it has  effects that affect the entire region in general, both above and below ground, while biome I'm fairly certain just denotes what you find on the surface and possible regional effects/weather.

After all, gorlaks are considered good and you can find them anywhere in the caverns too.
Yeah. [BIOME:] determines where the creature is spawned, which for cave creatures is SUBTERRANEAN and then denoted which cavern layer(s) with [SUBTERRANEAN_DEPTH:X:Y] where x is the minimum depth and y is the maximum depth. Unmodded vanilla cave dragons iirc have 3 or 3:3, which means they'll only spawn from the deepest cavern, the third cavern, regardless of what surface biome the caverns are located under.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2541 2542 [2543] 2544 2545 ... 3842