Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2516 2517 [2518] 2519 2520 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099407 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37755 on: November 01, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »

This is like a painfully slow tantrum spiral. Every once in a while, a miner will go nuts and put his pick in whoever happens to be nearby, and this scares the other miners, who inch closer to a tantrum every day because they miss their 30 cousins. Oh, and there's like three people in the hospital that aren't actually on beds and haven't been diagnosed.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37756 on: November 01, 2014, 06:13:49 pm »

Sure hoping these dolomite training spears I've made don't hurt anyone in the danger room. Made. 90 dolomite training spears with dfhack because I don't have any wood here and want a squad of super dwarves among all the normal ones.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37757 on: November 01, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »

Sure hoping these dolomite training spears I've made don't hurt anyone in the danger room. Made. 90 dolomite training spears with dfhack because I don't have any wood here and want a squad of super dwarves among all the normal ones.
[Bender]I'm 40% dolomite![/Bender]

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37758 on: November 01, 2014, 10:09:22 pm »

I started a fort in an evil biome. I set up a wood fort to keep the thrall-making clouds out, but I forgot a roof. Then one came straight for the fortress and thralled everyone but my miner. The thralls killed each other off until only an ox was left. It promptly killed my miner.

2 reclaim attempts later, the ox has another 14 kills to its name.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #37759 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:00 am »

I was just forced to retire Relicshoot. All the water in the map froze when winter came and I ran out of seeds and couldn't brew anything, so the fort was slowly dying of dehydration. I saved the last six (didn't manage to mark down who) and intend to either reclaim in in spring or find a warmer spot.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37760 on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:13 am »

This mayor is eighty-four years old, has had an infection for months, and has survived multiple trips to the hospital.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37761 on: November 02, 2014, 03:49:46 am »

Major restructuring at Glovedmobbed. We now have individual floors for the wood, stoneworking, clothing, and magma forge industries. The defense wall is still coming along slowly and we have started building an outer structure for pasturing our grazers. In addition we now have roads running to three edges of the map, because I always like making roads that the caravans don't use...

In other news we are now a duchy. We have 160ish dwarves. Our food and drink stockpiles are running great and clothing will be plentiful once I can get around to learning autolabor in DFhack.

On the combat side of things there have been a few events. We finally saw our first "siege" of goblins. There were about eight of them who were handily wiped out by our 5 man melee murder mob. A year or so later a squad of elves showed up. About ten of them. Wasn't sure if where they came from or if things have changed that much since .34, but they had metal armor and weapons and the message for the siege was the "vile force of darkness" one. I always thought elves sported wood (heh) and showed up with the "the enemy is here" message. Anyway, they somehow found all five of my scattered cage traps and the squad finished the rest of them no problem. They did waste my chief medical dwarf, though. Who was apparently doing vital research of the healthcare nature half the embark away from the safety of our walls.

Feeling confident and needing a quick source of silk for a mood, I opened up cavern layer one after two years or so of having it sealed due to a forgotten beast that systematically hunted down and killed all the cavern wildlife. I sent the squad after it and they met by the waters edge. Being a toad, this FB decided to hang out in the water a lot, spewing "deadly dust" that numbed everyone and turned their pancreases blue in the wounds menu. Not sure what that means, but they're still alive so hell with it. At some point one of my mace lords fell into the water. No problem, right? Just swim one tile over and climb up the ramp. Right? No, this idiot flailed around for like, two weeks before finally succumbing to the attacks and the water in his lungs. After a while the beast went to a different area of the map where I stationed the squad nearby and waited. Success. They eventually lured it out of the water with rude gestures and candy and beat the shit out of it until it died.

So now I've got this complicated plan to recover that dead military dwarf (or rather his armor) by cave-in sealing the spot he was in from the rest of the water and draining it. So far so good. Only had one dumbass dwarf get swept down into the lake by the absurd amount of dust kicked up by a cave-in and then, of course, refuse to path onto safe, dry land a tile away up a ramp and drown. God damn the pathing when in water kills me.

And in the latest attack, we had a weregiraffe. It was fast. We've got about four or five deaths outright and three more with a date with the drowning chamber due to bites. Sucks. Kinda wished the civilians would have gotten the hell out of the way and let the guys with armor and weapons handle it. There were just so many of them, and they just wanted to swarm that area at that exact moment. Didn't dwarves used to run away from danger? Now they don't seem to give a damn. I hate were-things. They're always a huge mess.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37762 on: November 02, 2014, 03:57:47 am »

Being a toad, this FB decided to hang out in the water a lot, spewing "deadly dust" that numbed everyone and turned their pancreases blue in the wounds menu. Not sure what that means, but they're still alive so hell with it.

Blue, or Cyan?

Cyan means function loss, but still structurally sound.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37763 on: November 02, 2014, 04:53:03 am »

Armok damn it, now the dwarven caravan burst into fire as well. I forgot to block the old exit tunnel properly and they decided to go through it, again glitching through the wall into magma channel. Cue burning Yak Bulls and everyone panicking.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37764 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:07 am »

A year or so later a squad of elves showed up. About ten of them. Wasn't sure if where they came from or if things have changed that much since .34, but they had metal armor and weapons and the message for the siege was the "vile force of darkness" one. I always thought elves sported wood (heh) and showed up with the "the enemy is here" message.
Might have been bandits instead of civ-siege? Did they have recruits or something like this with them? I think I have seen goblins and dwarves in such a group, so why not elves... about time they grow some backbone I think :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37765 on: November 02, 2014, 08:13:15 am »

Buuuugs. My dwarves have forgotten how to haul anything.

Time for a new fortress.
()==[:::::::::::::>

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37766 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:34 am »

A year or so later a squad of elves showed up. About ten of them. Wasn't sure if where they came from or if things have changed that much since .34, but they had metal armor and weapons and the message for the siege was the "vile force of darkness" one. I always thought elves sported wood (heh) and showed up with the "the enemy is here" message.
Might have been bandits instead of civ-siege? Did they have recruits or something like this with them? I think I have seen goblins and dwarves in such a group, so why not elves... about time they grow some backbone I think :P
Yeah, they could just be elves that were integrated into a goblin civ.

Makes you think whether the goblins are actually that evil, they seem to be pretty big on multiculturalism.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37767 on: November 02, 2014, 09:19:38 am »

Bad luck follows military command of my fortress. First one died of infection after a crundle cut his finger. Second rotted from skin to organs. Last one was in hospital for ages with complex fracture... Or I thoughts so. Poor bastard was knocked out on the cage and died there our of thirst half a year after the battle. Current one is happy... At least for the time being. He was the most useless dwarf in a fort, and he is honored to become the military commander of it.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37768 on: November 02, 2014, 09:25:52 am »

I'll make sure I save the game before torn down floors/walls.
Stupid accident caused a cave-in which actually made a hole on the ground below.
The funny part was, the two victims were both traders and their corpse fell right inside my atom smasher room.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37769 on: November 02, 2014, 02:08:25 pm »

A possessed armosmith, Dodók Gildtraded, made an artifact named... "Dodók Gildtraded." I didn't know that was possible.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2516 2517 [2518] 2519 2520 ... 3842