Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103903 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3765 on: June 19, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »

I'm waiting for Mayday to come out with his graphics pack since I'm not sure what files besides the init and the graphics I have to move over.

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »

I'm waiting for Mayday to come out with his graphics pack since I'm not sure what files besides the init and the graphics I have to move over.

I think data\art as well, and thats it. Just a guess, I dont work with maybe but this is so for ironhand

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:13 pm »

I recently managed to figure out the mechanics of pits and managed to put my two (modded) tame dragons and their chicks at the bottom. I learned from an earlier experience that the bottom of a pit is the safest place to put a dragon.

I also have a crapload of werewolves in my fort. Not the evil, dwarf munching kind mind you, but the nice-as-a-puppy-but-can-still-rip-your-face-off kind. I plan to use them as my army since they breed like rabbits (already 3-4 litters of pups). Also emergency food. Strange domesticated animals is fun!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: June 19, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

Just began the digging work for yet another stupid digging project. When it's all over (probably just short of a week from now) I'll have a giant hand-carved iceberg in a sea of glacial water with a set of massive greek arches, a medieval village, a number of towers including a wizard tower, a cathedral, a massive castle, and some other stuff... all carved out of cast ice. I can't wait.

Of course, in the meantime, my computer can do little else but run the digging processes, so yeah. I hate this part.

e- In case anyone wants to take a look. I'm hoping this will turn out well, but it's always hard to tell when everything's in the designation stage...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:03:06 pm by Retro »

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: June 19, 2010, 03:37:55 pm »

The caravan crossbowman finished off that endurance swimmer goblin pikeman for me, so my dwarves aren't terrified of the outdoors anymore.  I'm expanding the funnite mines (carefully...) and my mayor with a fetish for the same shiny blue stuff sadly triggered the full-room whirlpool spa without first obtaining the recommended scuba gear.  I suppose I'll have to use all of that for weapons and armor now, instead of statues and whatever the hell else he wanted. 

Speaking of, MOODING WEAPONSMITH AGAIN YAY

Please, not a mace.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: June 19, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

Multiple attempts at creating a submerged Fort have failed. I keep starting in a Cold zone, so I am racing to get underground and hatch the opening to my fort before the ice all melts and floods them.

My goal is to build it almost entirely out of glass.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:52:14 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: June 19, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

Surgery can't be done.
once lifted up, they stop resting.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: June 19, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

Multiple attempts at creating a submerged Fort have failed. I keep starting in a Cold zone, so I am racing to get underground and hatch the opening to my fort before the ice all melts and floods them.

My goal is to build it almost entirely out of glass.

If you're willing to give up on the glass bit, you can build a submarine fort with magma casting. It works quite well if you do the casting right, and will provide a submerged area for your dwarves. Plus it can be smoothed/engraved.

- Ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: June 19, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »

IT WASN'T A MACE.

Two mooding weaponsmiths ever at this fort, and they both give me adamantine battle axes.  HELLS YES.  I love this fort.  Now I just need to figure out who gets to swing this baby around.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: June 19, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »

Operation Frank Sinatra is goooo.

*Mayor facepalms*

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: June 19, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »

Does glass melt in magma? I think it would but just to be sure.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: June 19, 2010, 05:00:47 pm »

DF wiki says yes.

*Mayor facepalms*

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: June 19, 2010, 05:02:19 pm »

I suddenly came up with an entrance for my new fort, where the ramp down into the fortress proper would descent through a brook. The trade depot would then be 'inside' the brook, surrounded by water.

Just as I'd dug out the canals that would divert the water around the trade depot and built screw pumps in order to temporarily turn the brook into a dry dock for construction of the depot and entrance ramps, the brook proceeded to freeze over, meaning all the work had pretty much been unnecessary, and the actual entrance was also going to be considerably less impressive. :D
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3778 on: June 19, 2010, 05:42:13 pm »

I'm about out of booze and I've chopped all the trees, so I'm hoping my dwarves don't start raging before they get the barrels where I want them, and hoping that taking the food out of the barrels won't cause a miasma spread.

Oh, and I just noticed that one of my dwarves who was injured a while back in a stupid channelling cave-in incident who has been bed-ridden for more than a year now is almost ready to work again! Glee.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:46:42 pm by madk »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: June 19, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »

Strangely enough things have been pretty calm in my fortress.  It's been running about 4 years and all I've had were a few thiefy kobolds and some goblin kidnappers that didn't even make it past my traps.  I had a couple of accidents trying to toss the goblins into a pit and one of my dwarves mooded himself to death but other than that everything's been going smoothly. 

I got a small squad of axe dwarves all decked out in steel.  Normally I'd have them wearing bronze but I couldn't find any cassiterite.  They were getting bored waiting for a goblin attack so I sent them out into the desert to hack up a leopard.  It took one swing to finish it off but it took them a while to chase it down.

Right now I'm working on getting some adamantine strands made.  I managed to get a top layer of adamantine mined out without running into anything...bad.  To stay on the safe side I won't be mining down into it.  I'm also working on a system to make obsidian so that should be fun.  With everything pretty much situated it's time to start thinking on megaprojects.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 3842