Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099255 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37635 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:04 pm »

Some Emus finally hatched so I now have a supply of tame emus and can begin selling/butchering the nontame ones... Also fixed my cistern, just got to fill it up properly...

The flipping Troglodytes keep filling all my cages, I can't send them into the trap field fast enough...

Also got a large rat... which doesn't pair with my giant rat at all, dammit...

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37636 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:37 pm »

I got my first migrant wave for my newest fort!

CAN YOU SEE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS DWARF?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:43:33 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37637 on: October 22, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

The iffy sense for music?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37638 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:41 pm »

He respects martial prowess but doesn't like fighting?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37639 on: October 22, 2014, 04:10:22 pm »

The iffy sense for music?

Pff, can't be that bad when he's clearly appreciating the work of Neil Young.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37640 on: October 22, 2014, 05:38:11 pm »

"His upper body is gone"
He's only half the dwarf he used to be

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37641 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:42 pm »

I'm glad that he NEVER feels lustful passions, but I can still imagine how awesome that would be.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37642 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »

"His upper body is gone"
He's only half the dwarf he used to be
Thats not a bug, but a feature.  You see, he appears to still have a head.  Isnt it obvious who he is?

---

In seriousness, Things that get buried dont have UBs.  So the migrant got buried in a catacomb?  Maybe raw/interaction fuckery?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:45:46 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37643 on: October 22, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »

I've embarked on a volcano, and while the magma is a boon to productively (especially since the embark has aluminium, gold, copper, and silver) but the only water available is 107 tiles down in the third cavern... So I have to make my pump stack over a hundred z-levels tall. This is probably my most finicky mega-project to date. (If it counts as a megaproject.)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37644 on: October 22, 2014, 08:26:42 pm »

No Shirt, No Shoes Rebellion. Some military dorfs became enraged by their lack of shoes/shirts so they went on a rampage. Note to self, don't select "replace clothing" again.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37645 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:34 pm »

The only reason they were mad is because you didn't give them boots or a chest piece. Always go replace clothing, unless you like even more naked dwarves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37646 on: October 22, 2014, 09:31:58 pm »

I've embarked on a volcano, and while the magma is a boon to productively (especially since the embark has aluminium, gold, copper, and silver) but the only water available is 107 tiles down in the third cavern... So I have to make my pump stack over a hundred z-levels tall. This is probably my most finicky mega-project to date. (If it counts as a megaproject.)
Wells can reach quite a distance, you don't have to build a huge pump stack... though you may want to keep in mind how long it will take to draw water if you make it drop 100 z levels...

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37647 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:53 am »

I went back to my 0.34.11 aboveground-challenge fort to resume work on the power-mining tower I'm building as part of what I intended to be a no-dig HFS breach. After building a 20+-story clay tower, finishing the scaffolding & safety platforms & installing prisoners on chains on a platform inside, I installed the last support. The sacrificial platform collapsed, pulling the mason in with it, but the actual ground did not move.

Using reveal to cheat showed that I'd happened to build my tower over a place in the first cavern where sky support wouldn't penetrate enough to cause a cave-in. Fortunately, I found I could reuse two walls & all the scaffolding of the existing power-mining tower for a smaller shaft that should work. By the time the pilot hole reaches the first cavern it'll be very narrow, but I should be able to get a crew in there to construct the walls I'll need to enlarge it and eventually drive the main shaft through. If I don't get bored and I don't make any more siting errors, I should be able to reach the magma sea, where the hard part begins.

Oh, and while I was working on that a huge goblin siege descended and were crushed without dwarven casualties. Some lashers pursued an elf merchant around the back side of the fortress. I thought they'd already killed him, so I initially had the #1 hammer & #1 lasher squads (who'd sallied out the north gate) hold at the northeast corner of the wall hoping to lure the goblins into crossbow range instead of pursuing them southeast behind the fortress. If I'd sent them in immediately, they'd have saved the elf, prevented me having to haul away lots of wooden trash & shortened the goblinite hauling distances.

I was rather proud of the tactics I pulled off at the front gate. I pulled everyone back into the entrance to protect them from goblin archers & let my crossbowdwarves on the battlements soften up the enemy. The squads who'd been guarding the gate engaged the enemy in the corridor while the most elite of my elite troops, the #1 war miners, stayed in reserve, out of sight of the battle. As my soldiers pursued the goblins around the corner and into sight of enemy archers, I had the war miners charge past them, out the gate and into the midst of the bowmen, whom they cut through like so much overburden. As the war miners proceeded west through the hostile archers, the other two squads came out and moved south to finish off the disorganized goblin rabble from the first wave. More goblin squads arrived from the west, one led by an elite bowman, so I sent the war miners to deal with them directly. The other two squads finished up and I moved them northwest, encircling the goblins. Caught between the pick & the stone, most goblins were killed and the survivors fled off-map with my forces in hot pursuit.

This all happened several days ago, so I don't remember if it was the same battle or an earlier skirmish when a marksdwarf (from #3 heavy archers, I think) dodged off the unfinished north gate battlements, landed uninjured in the midst of trolls, and shot them up, making things easy for the cleanup crew I sent out after him. I was very impressed, but I think it's time to install fortifications.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37648 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:44 am »

From Earthbust or Bust: a Short History of The Merchants of Peace, written by Urist McSchoolchild as a history assignment.

Quote from: the Almanac of The Merchants of Peace
Dwarves of The Competitive Boot, an expeditionary settlement led by Kadol Noiseless-Stake, left their home among The Merchants of Peace to found the hamlet of Earthbust on 15 Hematite, 1000.

The dwarves of Earthbust, keen to assist in the rebuilding of their fragmented civilisation, which apart from its tiny capital only commanded the baronies of Oilcoast and Roughsprays, arrived at the volcano they had chosen to settle and immediately set about constructing a bunker in which their huddled masses could take refuge.

Very soon, The Competitive Boot received news that one of their number, a Logem Coastal-Crypt by name, had been elevated to the monarchy. Mercifully, the king was relatively easy for the new settlers to work with: he continued in his professions of carpentry and smithing, and was by all accounts an humble man. A man of simple, and martial tastes, his only insistence was that the fortress produce and retain the use of crossbow bolts, a boon to the hunting trade and, in due course, the militia. All spoke highly of the king, glossing over rumours of the period as he was adjusting his new status, struggling to bear under the delays to the construction of quarters.

Engravings of the killing of Dodok Tin-Talon, cook and brewer, remain in the king's tomb and bedroom to this day. The loss of Tin-Talon, along with the excessive haste towards Dwarven magma-powered industry, resulted in food and drink shortages for a year and more. The lack of good hunting above-ground became all-too apparent as the fortress' hunters failed to bring in little more than the occasional Grey Parrot and Blue Peahen. Ospreys and Giant Ticks were seen, but never successfully shot. Eventually, the food shortage was ended by the arrival of stragglers from the disasters to befall The Merchants of Peace, bringing with them skills, knowledge, and edible livestock.

Eventually, the Quarters block was dug out, providing living and office space to Earthbust's burgeoning population. The Quarters, adopting a hatch-based multi-level plan, was a great success and was extended multiple times to accommodate the population arriving in all conditions.

The dwarves turned their sights once again to the question of the industries. The plentiful heat provided by the magma of the volcano turned out to be more than necessary, as no coal was ever discovered; a similar absence of flux stone was far more difficult to overcome. Work proceeded on the urgent task of bringing Earthbust to the status of a fully-fledged Dwarven manufactory, turning out the trade goods for which The Merchants of Peace had justifiably earnt their name, as the volcano was carefully tapped for its precious magma.

As industry developed, the magma kilns, making good use of plentiful clay and ever-renewing heat, turned out earthenware bricks for the constant construction of Earthbust. The magma glass furnace, idle most of the year as sand could not be found, sprang into life when The Merchants sent the annual caravan and sand could be traded.

Gold dug from the heart of the mountain provided the raw stock for the furniture necessary to equip the king's quarters. By early spring 1002, these were equipped, not quite sufficiently to reflect his majesty, yet enough for the circumstances. Iron was in abundance as well, and soon Merchants of Peace were manufacturing iron weapons and armour to fit out a militia that was yet to be recruited from the population of forty-seven adult dwarves and one infant.

It was indeed at this point that the question of military preparedness arose, since the miners had successfully breached a cavern wall, spying a troll before quickly walling up the entrance...
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37649 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:17 am »

The fortress was upgraded to a duchy the next year, rather annoying since the baron now a duke decided his living quarters wasn't fancy enough, I of course made to sure to give him everything he wanted, I like this duke all he ever wants is the production of ballista parts, nothing like that nasty mayor who wants low boots.

The population continues to grow by 2 per year, its a bit odd the baby making population consists of 2 families, one currently has 14 or 15 kids and the other has 12 or 13, its going to be a bit weird if the fortress eventually consists of only 2 families.

At some point I decided to make someone a champion and have him and some random useless civilian become the start of my military force, largely unnecessary due to how this world when the only actual threat is a marsh titan, but meh, they over the course of 2 to 3 years became legendary in there skill the first few children to become adults will of course be enlisted into the army, cause reasons.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this fortress when I grow bored of it, I mostly plan on just letting it run until It dies of a tantrum spiral or a FPS death. (not much in this modded world c:) I might build a megaproject or something like a pyramid for the eventual arrival of the king.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 ... 3842