Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099383 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37605 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:27 am »

So, I just learned something important!

10 adequately trained dwarves clad in masterwork bronze armor wielding masterwork obsidian swords is still no match for a giant flying turtle FB.

But hey, they did bruise the ever loving crap out of it before getting slaughtered.  So there's that.

Next I'm going to try masterwork bronze battleaxes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:34:11 am by Tacomagic »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37606 on: October 20, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

It's the shell's fault, I believe. Bronze weapons could've cut through it, but shell is tough.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37607 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:13 am »

It's the shell's fault, I believe. Bronze weapons could've cut through it, but shell is tough.

Most of it was scaly hide from the battle report. Just sat there for about 200 turns while the squad beat every part of its body (including the shell) into the bright yellow and red before it finally got fed up and started smushing them.  While obsidian works remarkably well against other denizens of the deep (such as cave trolls), it doesn't really get through that thick FB hide.

Luckily my more important squad is now appropriately armed.  I'm going to give them a crack at the FB next.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:39:39 am by Tacomagic »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37608 on: October 20, 2014, 12:38:37 am »

Odd... I had an obsidian short sword lop off a giant pythons' head, and the turtle should be just as hard to cut.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37609 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:09 am »

Odd... I had an obsidian short sword lop off a giant pythons' head, and the turtle should be just as hard to cut.

Yeah, I figured I'd lose one or two of them but still take out the FB.  Kinda didn't expect such a one-sided slaughter.  I'm rather underwhelmed with obsidian swords against anything of substance now.  Guess I'm offloading them to the next caravan.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37610 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:29 am »

I don't use them often. I normally bring along a bronze spear and short sword, which is quite useful in iron-less embarks where I have to dig around for metals.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37611 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:56 am »

Mulling over the effects i've seen of late, i've now come to the conclusion that rollers actually accelerate minecarts instead of setting speed. The best-fitting working model is that each turn on an active roller accelerates a cart 100.000 units in the roller's direction, with the effect stopping at the roller's set speed. I see no other way to make sense of rollers imparting speeds that are quite definitely not their set speeds (highest-speed roller, resultant speed ~20.000 on one cart, the standard 50.000 on all others). This also only happens to carts moving at derail-capable speeds, i.e. faster than the 50.000 a roller can drive them.

It probably works like this:
cart moves at, say, 80.000 speed, starts out at sub-coordinate 30.000 on the tile before a roller working in the opposite direction: its regular move puts it at sub-coordinate 10.000 on the roller. The roller accelerates it 100.000/step in the opposite direction, thus resulting in 20.000 speed in the roller's direction after one step. Since it's pretty much at the outer end of the roller, this velocity is enough to let it leave the tile on the very next turn, putting it out of the roller's reach. Result: low-speed, medium-speed, high-speed and highest-speed rollers all result in the exact same output speed. If the sub-coordinate after moving onto the roller was 50.000 or more (quite possible at 80.000 speed), the actual roller speeds would have asserted themselves, because the cart would have spent more than one step on the roller, receiving a second dose of acceleration which would have safely put it at the roller's cap.

In most cases, the actual _effect_ of rollers is better described as "setting" speed.
I added this bit of information to my minecart education thread.

In other news, i had a tunnel dug for my cavern buffaloes, they had seriously started wearing out the cavern vegetation they were feeding on. Now they have a large pristine area to stomp.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37612 on: October 20, 2014, 08:21:44 am »

Just found galena.... looks like I'm gonna be learning how to make a minecart trap/bowling alley. Because lead is heavy, y'see. Therefore, minecarts made from it should slam into goblins and turn them into gory chunks. Hopefully. It'll be Fun either way.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37613 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:56 am »

Just got an artifact ruby, Scarletcacti,
it is encrusted with oval cut blue jades and encircled with bands of square cut rubies and single cut blue jades.
total value of 100800.
So basically a ruby with more gems encrutsted into it...
The Void shall consume all

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37614 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:00 pm »

I've got so, so many Yaks.  And about 15 minutes ago I realized that all the shearing cancellations have been because Yaks don't give wool in DF.

Seriously, what is up with that?  We've only used domestic Yaks as wool producers for about 10,000 years.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:14:24 pm by Tacomagic »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37615 on: October 20, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »

There's an annoying Forgotten Beast in the lowest cavern layer that keeps turning Jabberers into ‼XxJabberer mutilated corpsexX‼s, caverns into ‼caverns‼ and my FPS into XXFPS mangled mutilated corpseXX. >:(

Operation: Seize the Surface, commence! We're walling off most of the map edges so the only way in is to go under one of the watchtowers, where Hunting Dogs are keeping guard through strategically placed floor grates. The smiths are churning out trap components as fast as dwarvenly possible, so that we can booby-trap the narrow passages as well. The only other routes in are the ones I intend the caravans to use. Those are furnished with fancy gold roads. (Show-off? Moi? Sir, I am wounded by your accusation!)

The merchants came and exchanged some steel and iron bars for our ridiculously expensive *barrel*s.

The Giant Sparrow hatched another batch of offspring.

Also, we're drowning in Ostriches! D:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:45:43 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37616 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

I genned a world based on a seed I kind of fell in love with.  In other realities (I vary the creature seed, which has notably more effect than prior versions):

-A dwarf civ would have died out.
-Humans would die out or hug the western coastline.  Elves would usurp humans as the provider of goods
-Merlocks would huggle the north and south.
-And goblins would die horrible as they were dismembered by their loosely allied merlocks (Evil is an oppurtunist, yea?)

In this particular version, one dwarf civ spawned on a mountain range they typically dont and are in an intense war where 35 of their sites have been taken by one elf civ.  All they hold left are mountain halls deep within the mountain range.  No hillocks, almost no mountain area; purely peaks.

I think Ill be playing this dying civ, when the time comes.

---
But, as a result of that dying civ not occupying one of the two major mountain ranges, the one who has no neighbor has become monstrous, 5th largest in the game.  Which is saying a lot since I build my worlds to actively cripple dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ive been relatively unable to identify why the merlocks do so well; Im sure it has to do with their leather industry (also their 200 year lifespan and 1:4 litters :P )
  They are completely reliant upon animals and meat industries.  They usually only wear leather armor and produce nothing but meat and animal man bits.  I expect that they are antagonistic, but lesso than the gobbos.  While the goblins get beat up upon by the elves (who I did make stronger) the merlocks multiply and become powers in their tundras.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:48:42 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37617 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »

The ceiling keeps falling on my dorfs.

Also, anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Windows 8 and check the in - game date?  I'm thinking of recording my fortress history in the hopes something interesting happens.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37618 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »

The ceiling keeps falling on my dorfs.

Also, anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Windows 8 and check the in - game date?  I'm thinking of recording my fortress history in the hopes something interesting happens.

In-game date is on the 'z' status screen (upper right corner).

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37619 on: October 20, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »

Finally dawned on my how to solve my overpopulation of garbage fish. I cheated. DFHack exterminated them and then autodumped them out of the water just in case that taints my well. Maybe now something other than wild boars will show up on my map. Hoping those hippos come back.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 ... 3842