Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103931 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3750 on: June 19, 2010, 03:18:46 am »

Well. Everyone is hunting for vermin. Cept the migrants. They are going for the mountain goats.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: June 19, 2010, 04:55:50 am »

Early plump helmet farming is critical, as is having at least a couple of farmer/brewer/cooks, I feel. Also, try for as even a gender distribution as possible. You need at least two couples to form for the no migrant fort to work in the long term.

Lightlances just celebrated our second marriage, so at least now an expanding population is possible, in theory. Now I just need to wait 15-20 years for the kids to grow up.

-Ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: June 19, 2010, 04:58:09 am »

Farming is critical?

Wow, seven years into my fort and still no farms. Massive stockpiles of food and booze. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: June 19, 2010, 05:29:12 am »

wohoo! So I finally got a workaround for the training, opening up a thread for this asap  :D

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: June 19, 2010, 05:46:31 am »

Farming is critical?

Wow, seven years into my fort and still no farms. Massive stockpiles of food and booze. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

What do you do for your food? I've always used farming as a primary food source, sometimes with hunting/fishing on the side. Am I missing something huge? plant gathering? Food importing?

Anyways, I just think farming is critical for a seven-dwarf fort where you can rarely spare much labor for anything else.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:59 am »

opsneakie, while you can sometimes make it on hunting or fishing, however unreliable, butchery has become a tremendous source of food in this version. Bring along three female horses and one male, and lock them up, butchering a few foals every now and then. Or camels. Or anything that breeds like rabbits but has a lot of meat, really.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: June 19, 2010, 11:56:14 am »

I've been challenging myself lately and trying a fort in a glacier biome.  I dug down to the caverns and using underground water for tree farms.  So far everything is going ok, just slow getting my military equipped.

My first forgotten beast showed up.  He is a towering humanoid made of fire with wings and fidgets and squirms.  He has dangerous dust.

Now that's a fort ending beasty, but i am well sealed in.  The weird thing is since he showed up, the water in my underground caverns has been disappearing.  maybe he is turning it all to steam?  There is definitely a huge steam cloud following him around.  My FPS is dropping rapidly heh.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

BrutalNoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: June 19, 2010, 11:57:56 am »

A giantess was my first real threat since embarking 3 years ago. The first creatures to be obliterated were my war dogs tied in front of the entrance. They were struck so hard that they were ripped from their chains flung into my stairwell, and exploded into gore on my miners.

At this point I initiated the magma trap that dumps into my entrance, but the giantess was standing on the bridge and it would not raise to lock her away and the magma had not filled the entire chamber yet. I sent in 6 dwarves with no armor but quality battle axes and one dwarf with a legendary steel spear to keep her from entering the corridor that led to my main stairway.

I thought that they were going to be slaughtered, but someone actually severed the torso of the giantess in one blow. Turns out it was the legendary weapon wielding dwarf. How he managed to sever an entire giant torso with a spear I will never know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now i have half a giant in my entrance that is smoldering and my speardwarf is covered in giant blood.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:00 pm »

Just got my military up and running, and some jerk went berserk because I didn't have enough shells for his clothesmaking brainstorm.  I sent 12 novice axedwarfs to kill him, and they caught up to him right in the middle of my kitchen/brewerie/food storage wing.  A savage beating ensued, but to my dismay, their training axes (haven't gotten metal up and running yet) cannot do more than yellow wounds to the guy.  They've been pounding on him for two seasons now, the kitchen's too scary for anyone to go in, and after all these months, everyone's starving, everyone's terrified, my fort layout is such that I can't get past the guy to build or do anything, so his horribly bruised, unconscious body laying on the floor is going to bring about my fort's ruin.  Graaaagh!

I can't even collapse the ceiling on him, since he's right under my butcher's shop, and no butcher will walk by him to deconstruct it in order for my miner's to channel.

Seems to be that everything, not just zombies, should have some kind of HP, so this sort of thing won't happen.  Three seasons have passed now, and the guy's been under constant assault by between six and twelve dwarves.  He's actually healing now, a dog bit him and gave him a brown throat wound, and it's better.  At least reduce the terror effect from unconscious enemies, so my guys could get a drink...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:35:26 pm by HatfieldCW »
I brake for stumble bumblings

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: June 19, 2010, 12:11:46 pm »

As i watch this FB walk around he is instantly vaporizing the water in the caverns, surely enough its all going, and massive amounts of tower caps etc, are being uncovered.    Here is a screenshot.  You can see the newly uncovered plants and the steam he is generating.

This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: June 19, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »

Another dwarf is bestowing names upon his weapon every five seconds. Though the statistics that now show up on this weapon are quite nice to see :) :-/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:26:53 pm by grufti »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:44 pm »

I was getting really bored with my fort. I wanted to do a basic megaproject, but everything was just going so slowly. My dwarves were disorganized, the fortress was a mess, and everything just felt cluttered and sluggish. Had I done some things right from the beginning, I doubt I would have gotten this feeling. At least not until a few more years. Plus, there were a lot of creatures I wanted to try modding in and that would require a new world gen.

So I decided to collapse it into the ocean.

Now I need to decide where I want my new fort. I could just build over the ocean again, but I'm tempted to try something in the caverns.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3762 on: June 19, 2010, 01:08:11 pm »

Made tons more progress with New Wavehandle. It's very operational for what it's worth.

Despite realizing that my modified boiler design may not work as well as I thought, I can still modify it enough to still make it work. But it would require a windmill.  :-\ Nonetheless, it's main purpose is to serve as a repeater anyway. So I guess it doesn't necessarily need to be a boiler. As long as the hatch does what I think it would, it should be of great assistance.

Speaking of which, my security building is finished, and I have also established a perimeter before my first ambush. Unfortunately, my wrestlers were still rather under-experienced, and I lost a guy, and broke another rather badly (hoping they wake up soon); and in other news, I lost my first fisherdwarf/dissector to Carpe Diem, but as long as the numbers remain low. Nonetheless, the main security features are getting worked on, I have some goblinite I expect to smelt soon enough so I can craft me some spikes, and am also making tons of mechanisms to make use of them all.

Once all that is settled, I might construct a mini-arena where necessary so I can further train my military and make room for the cages. I'll still need to harvest more goblinite if I want to make further/better use of it all. Thanks to claiming a perimeter early as well, fuel should hopefully not be a problem anytime soon (unless I get a massive amount of migrants).

All things considering, I'm on the start of Year 3, and made a surprising amount of progress compared to Old Wavehandle. Sure, I still lack the key features of the sewers and dining room; but at least I now have a proper graveyard area planned/set, as well as fewer lives lost, and a far better security system than I expected to form.

EDIT:
Uploaded
Link

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:47 pm »

Another dwarf is bestowing names upon his weapon every five seconds. Though the statistics that now show up on this weapon are quite nice to see :) :-/

30.07 is out, with a fix for that bug.  Time to upgrade!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:47 pm »

Same here Upgrading!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 3842