Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2498 2499 [2500] 2501 2502 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100132 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37485 on: October 11, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

The third goblin siege I had brought 3 squads of goblins, and a squad of trolls and their general.

And I thought that was the worst of it.

The fourth brought about 30 dwarven casualties as opposed to the 3rd siege's 7.

I fear that I may be facing a tantrum spiral soon, unless these stupid moody dwarves make something that ISN'T a craft...
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37486 on: October 11, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »

I'm hoping that the random miniature loyalty cascades doesn't kill my military.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37487 on: October 12, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »

I have started a brand new fortress.

Its current layout sacrifices all defense in the name of fps, and sacrifices a fair amount of workflow efficiency in the pursuit of the same.

Wish me luck. or fun.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37488 on: October 12, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »

My fort will not use any native weapons. Lashers, bowdwarves, long swords, pikes, halberds, I've gotten a bunch from the human caravan. Sadly, great axes and halberds are unusable by dwarves, so my wagon provided three training axes for wood cutting.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37489 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:20 am »

Its current layout sacrifices all defense in the name of fps, and sacrifices a fair amount of workflow efficiency in the pursuit of the same.

Wish me luck. or fun.
What did you do, carve out a cube of up/down stairs?

I still wanna build one some time on the surface.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37490 on: October 13, 2014, 01:00:54 am »

A cube of up/down stairs would be hell for FPS, because you've now multiplied the number of paths by another coordinate.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37491 on: October 13, 2014, 01:12:18 am »

Starting up a fortress after not playing for almost a year.  Found an interesting map with world-tile sized spires of rock surrounded by flat foresty looking areas.  This is going to take a bit to get used to.  I mean loading screens with progress bars?  What heresy is this?

Year one is over and I have seen a handful of kobolds.  No screaming goblin hordes, no necromancer dance parties, heck even the kea have stayed clear of the fort.  Has the enemy AI wised up and tried to actively avoid player forts/madness pits? 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37492 on: October 13, 2014, 02:20:31 am »

Humans suck at being enemies.  >:(
This time they came in force, archers, spearmen, lashers and all, led by a Lady Consort. They milled about for a bit and then killed a hunting dog in an unfinished watchtower.
Their fearless leader stormed the entrance and... became terrified of a Stray  Cat, ♀ (Tame)?  ???
One of the recruits made it far enough to take a plunge from the entrance trapdoor, his head splitting like a melon. The rest of the humans decided this counted as a resounding defeat and ran away, Monty Python and the Holy Grail -style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk
Because my lever-pullers where somewhat tardy in resetting the entrance, my troops didn't even get to give chase before all of the cowardly stickmen had fled.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:22:37 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37493 on: October 13, 2014, 05:40:13 am »

This is a masterfully crafted horn made from horn horn.  The is encrusted with horn horn, and bears an image of a horn in horn horn.  There is a horn and a horn engraved in horn horn.  The horn is striking down the horn.

Sigged.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37494 on: October 13, 2014, 05:42:51 am »

So I had to give up on the 9 FPS Little Fort of Horrors.

The new fort name the RNG gave me is, I sh*t you not, ESTEEMBOATS.  There's just so many... I can't even.

First event, less than a month in, my sole mason gets eaten by a voracious cave crawler as he frantically tries to wall off the cavern.  Off to a rollicking good start there boys.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37495 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:46 am »

What's going on in my fort? Why, I'm abandoning it, that's what!

My dwarves discovered [REDACTED] and thoughts of [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] danced through their heads as they merrily [REDACTED] all of it. The resulting [REDACTED] literally redacted my fortress in a matter of  hours. My dwarves sought to flood their fortress in an act of desperation, but the [REDACTED] standing in the torrential flow of water was unphased--it evaporated every drop that passed by its [REDACTED].

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37496 on: October 13, 2014, 11:34:21 am »

I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37497 on: October 13, 2014, 12:19:51 pm »

Wish me luck. or fun.
What did you do, carve out a cube of up/down stairs?

I still wanna build one some time on the surface.

A roughly 25x70 rectangle for the top floor, with workshops on the north and east edges, stockpiles in the middle, farms in the middle, depot access and food processing on the west wall, dining in the middle, and massive overlapping bedrooms in the south portion.   

In theory, at least, dwarves will do their workshop-job pathing in a straight line going no more than 20 tiles, and break-task (drinking, sleeping, eating) pathing over an average of 40; with minimal obstacles, they shouldn't need to consider more than 60/120 tiles per task, which beats out the 200 to 2000 tiles that were being considered per route in my more space-efficient forts.

Originally, I planned to have a basement for magma smelting (complete with dedicated beds and tables for the smiths/smelters) accessed by a stair-shaped access route (save-scumming out the wazoo to avoid the caverns and their fps killing "fun"), but the amount of wood I get from chopping the new, multi-tile trees has me questioning the necessity of using magma for anything short of infinite melt exploits.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37498 on: October 13, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »

I was doing a little test for my FABULOUS mod that I'm making, when fall came instead of an outpost liaison, the king consort came! I was a bit confused until the trade agreement stuff popped up, then I was even more confused.

I'll blame the Walruite
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37499 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »

I was doing a little test for my FABULOUS mod that I'm making, when fall came instead of an outpost liaison, the king consort came! I was a bit confused until the trade agreement stuff popped up, then I was even more confused.

Just means the King's wife happens to be Outpost Liaison. I once had a nonplayer baron show up every year as mine.
Pages: 1 ... 2498 2499 [2500] 2501 2502 ... 3842