Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120053 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37410 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:30 am »

First fort since 40.xx came out, let's see what actually changed, the change log never tells the whole story
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37411 on: October 07, 2014, 02:47:05 am »

Cave crocodile hatchlings have hatched! :D

How long did that take? I couldn't find a RAW parameter...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37412 on: October 07, 2014, 03:24:59 am »

unless it has changed, 3 months or so
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37413 on: October 07, 2014, 04:06:12 am »

Three months, yes (I think, it's been awhile since I last played this fort). I also have now troglodytes breeding in my cages. Spores at work, I assume.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:09:08 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37414 on: October 07, 2014, 04:10:53 am »

It seems as though one of my Giant Cave Swallows produced infertile eggs, then >:|

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37415 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:31 am »

Kadol Kezatathel, Miner cancels Drink: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast.
The Forgotten Beast grabs The Miner by the first toe, right foot with its left wing!
The Miner kicks The Forgotten Beast in the right wing with her right foot, but the attack glances away!
The Forgotten Beast releases the grip of The Forgotten Beast's left wing on The Miner's first toe, right foot.
The Forgotten Beast attacks The Miner but She rolls away!
The Miner stands up.
The Forgotten Beast attacks The Miner but She jumps away!
The Miner punches The Forgotten Beast in the right wing with her left hand, but the attack glances away!
The Forgotten Beast misses The Miner!
The Miner strikes The Forgotten Beast in the body with her (copper pick), tearing the muscle and bruising the heart!
The Forgotten Beast falls over.
The Miner strikes The Forgotten Beast in the body with her (copper pick), tearing the muscle!
The Miner strikes The Forgotten Beast in the right wing with her (copper pick), tearing it!
The (copper pick) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Forgotten Beast grabs The Miner by the turkey leather vest with its left wing!
The Forgotten Beast takes The Miner down by the turkey leather vest with The Forgotten Beast's left wing!
The Miner stands up.
The Forgotten Beast releases the grip of The Forgotten Beast's left wing on The Miner's turkey leather vest.
The Miner pulls on the embedded (copper pick).
The Forgotten Beast grabs The Miner by the first toe, left foot with its left wing!
The Miner strikes The Forgotten Beast in the body with her (copper pick), tearing the muscle and tearing the brain!
-------------------------
Edit*

The FB's corpse had been missing until I checked the kitchen and found over 200 FB meat, 30 brain and 80 intestines...

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:13:22 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37416 on: October 07, 2014, 08:51:31 am »

About time someone showed up. I was hoping for a dragon, though.  :-\
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37417 on: October 07, 2014, 03:07:33 pm »

I think about building tower of Babel of a sort. Tall complex with outside walks and ladders.

I can't quite decide how eager I am to have goblins nearby. I want to fight on narrow bridges, but I fear I won't be able to manage both tower and defense.

I guess I will treat this a suicide mission by waves and waves of insane fantatics climbing to heaven to punch some god in the face and demand new, improved beards.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37418 on: October 07, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

1st migrant wave - 2
2nd migrant wave - 6
3rd migrant wave - 31, 1/4th of them children

Really DF? 31?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37419 on: October 07, 2014, 04:31:54 pm »

1st migrant wave - 2
2nd migrant wave - 6
3rd migrant wave - 31, 1/4th of them children

Really DF? 31?
You got off light.  Migrant waves have exceeded 100 (my personal best is 96) and if you have the specs enabled you can get over 30 rats running around.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37420 on: October 07, 2014, 07:52:51 pm »

I embarked unknowing on a zombie hydra's lair. Fun ensued.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37421 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:43 pm »

Cuddlehorrors is turning into the most interesting fort I've done yet.

Embarked on a metal/flux rich 2x2 spot with sand and soil, a stream, too many damn trees, tried to use the "highlight a biome during embark to land there" method to give myself a bit of breathing room.

[--------------][--------------]
[-- Serene--][- Serene---]
[-----------W][--------------]
[- Terrifying ][- Serene---]
[--------------][--------------]

Well ok then. Just gotta make sure the military doesn't have too much fun in that corner of the map, set up some walls to funnel stuff around to the front of the fort (I like to build my first walls around the wagon and then build up/down/around it) and started working.

Two or three squares down I discover that there is an aquifer RIGHT NEXT to the spot where I want to sink my central staircase... and it ends after four or five levels, amazing.

Naturally once I embark with a bunch of petrified wood blocks for the first wall/preparation for pump making to use for my Dorfwash and if necessary to punch an aquifer, I find that I can avoid having to punch it entirely and just use it for something I wanted to try.

Dug out a big oval-ish chamber under it on either side of the staircase, put a floodgate at the pinch point with an upstair at the far end, have another half oval the same size/shape which is cut off by fortifications I built with one suspended and ready to finish. Link up the gates to my first masterwork mechanism lever in the large room one z below the cistern level, made sure everything was smoothed and stones cleared, got two fast miners to run in and dig a downstair into the bottom of the aquifer after I channeled a pressure building tunnel above the cistern level, it starts to fill as they run out, get the gates shut, finish the fortifications and seal up the last two bits of wall surrounding the channel I dug out so I can pull the lever and get a solid sheet waterfall dropping through the happyroom into drainage that has been flooding the first cavern because screw those damn crundle jerks!

Set up more fortifications in the happy room, statues, engravings, plus masterwork coffins as I'm sure I'll end up having deaths before long. Got all of this done by the first migrant wave, managed to avoid having too much fun too early by making sure hunting wasn't taking out the normal wildlife too fast.

Did lose two woodcutters to peach faced lovebird corpses though, which has to be one of the most embarrassing ways to die ever.

No wait, having your overseer forget to make sure the refuse pile wasn't on a terrifying square and being strangled by yak hair might take the cake... least I got that taken care of, and by the time I got a visit from elves I already had the cage trap lined entrance paths walled off and was able to make use of forbidding and unforbidding the doors to get them to path onto terrifying squares and get slaughtered, waited for them to get back up and unforbid the doors to make them charge into the cages, then added a couple of "airlock" cages, one before you reach the door going in, and one about 4 squares away towards the exit so I can try to lure the next group of elves into range of the elf corpses before pulling the levers and letting them loose. :D

I've got goblins pretty close so I'm expecting fun from them sooner or later, and I had to set a war dog loose on a kobold thief really early on.

I'm not worried about the caverns yet, not until I get the accessible candy dug out and have my military geared up, because I discovered that caverns in a terrifying biome also reanimate... meaning I've got troll arms with titles, reacher heads rolling around chewing on crundles, and the corpse of an eyeless tarantula forgotten beast (which doesn't spit webs, T.T) roaming around making a mess of the place.

Ooh, there is a tower that I'm supposed to be in range of as well, fun fun fun!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:26:26 pm by Max™ »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37422 on: October 07, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »

Finally cracked it at the 5 FPS and enabled fastdwarf. Fastdwarf 2, because I'm not THAT cheap.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37423 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:09 am »

There's a low-grade tantrum spiral affecting about half the population of Whiskeranvils. The mayor and the duke had a running fistfight all across the fort, and the dowager queen & youngest princess have both been seen running around trying to start fights, despite having born the loss of their husband & father the late king without complaint. I had to replace the captain of the guard after she went melancholy, and the new guard has been studiously ignoring the convictions I've been handing down for disorderly conduct & vandalism.

Due to the mass military casualties & the expected losses from suicide, insanity & murder, we're currently in phase 1 mass-casualty operation: The contingent undertakers have mostly been burrowed in the mortuary complex, its housing facilities are on-line & we're burying dwarves in temporary graves in what's normally the pet cemetery. Expansion work is underway and sarcophagus quality requirements have been relaxed.

The some-time woodcutter w2 Ingiz Besmarlitast went berserk and started chasing Lolor Misoddom, one of my founders, around. Lolor tried to defend himself with a wooden -training axe-, but Ingiz hacked him to pieces with his -iron battle axe-. W8 Dakost Zanegreg, a megalomaniac whom I'd written off as garbage, was passing by. Despite being a civilian, she showed guts I didn't know she had and jumped on the berserker. She immediately got an axe lodged in her leg, but she bit, punched & kicked him. At one point, she even managed to kick him in the eye.

I suppose she was trying to distract Ingiz from Lolor. She wasn't quite fast to save him, and in the end she lost her head after her foot exploded into gore and she blacked out from the pain, but she kept Ingiz busy and kept him from finding any more victims before the war miners showed up to put him down & boast about it. Such valor will not be forgotten, and she'll be granted in death the fineries she desired in life.

... also, one of my marksdwarves is shooting a squadmate? W8 Tholtig Mamotastesh just crippled w11 Litast Domaskeskal. Someone else was interrupted by Litast, but I've checked everyone's entity membership and there's no loyalty cascade occurring. The victim is quite content & the apparent aggressor & bystander are both ecstatic, despite having lost friends to tragedy, so I can't see any of them throwing a tantrum, and none of them are in law enforcement, so it's not judicial punishment.

Addendum: W5 Zuglar Oltarlokum the thresher apparently decided that it's his job to murder Litast and is attacking her like an animal. Let's see if we get a loyalty cascade out of this.

Addendum: ... yep, that's what's happening. RCL Vucar Loramot the war miner's just going on a killing spree now. He did in Ingiz the berserker, and he just did in Tholtig & Zuglar. He's still a member of my civilization & group and isn't even feared as a killer by anyone, let alone being an enemy. He does seem to like bragging about his kills.

Oh, and he just murdered w9 erith Tosiden, another war miner. Since he just wandered into an area filled with soldiers, I think I've got a full-blown loyalty cascade on my hands.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:20:17 am by fourpotatoes »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37424 on: October 08, 2014, 01:27:58 am »

Finally decided what material the main part of my above-ground structure will be, and am now mass-producing electrum blocks. Because it's a cooler name than gold.
Pages: 1 ... 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 ... 3842