Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972732 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37395 on: October 05, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »

New fort. First caravan showed up. It's taking all my will not to kill the goblin outpost liaison.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37396 on: October 06, 2014, 05:25:43 am »

Reactivated the pump stack after letting the magma build up a bit at the bottom of it. People aren't bitching about the hard work now, which is good. Waited for half the stack to fill then opened one of two floodgates; the Magmatic Antechamber is full, and now I wait for the pump stack to completely refill before opening the main floodgate and filling the Magmatic Chamber. ((Also, I headcanon that the nickel portion of my pumps glows red/orange when that level of the stack is full. It looks pretty neat~))

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37397 on: October 06, 2014, 05:50:41 am »

As someone who has been an adventure mode purist for ages, I finally had FUN in fortress mode. So many were lizards. This is beautiful. My sole surviving militia commander deserves some sort of tomb.for killing so many.

I think I might have to play fort mode more often...
Everything's in the news today

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37398 on: October 06, 2014, 06:52:13 am »

Started a new embark that is shaping up into one of those cursed/funny forts that everyone dreads looks forward to...

Three months in, the first shaft is being sunk to find the caverns, and oh by the way, the Butcher is now the king.  Good luck with that.

Magma pool in the first cave!  Praise Armok! ... And the mason, believing the architect, opens a fortification directly into the magma.  He didn't make it, but I named my new forges after him.

First artifact is a gold ring worth 132500U.  I have 12 dwarves.  Cue goblin music.

The Forgotten Beast Somethingorother has come!  It has 4 names, so phear it!  It is made of crystal glass!  Fear its deadly dust!  It moves quickly!  It... it... it has trapped itself on a ledge with no access to the rest of the cavern, four z-levels above the magma pool.  My dwarves wave as they walk by, snickering.

The sounds of farming offend the cave crocodiles!  They leap to attack... the Olm Men Blowgunners and Spearmen who live in the cavern.  Now my farmers get the sound of a non-stop gladiator match on the other side of the wall.  Seriously, it's been going on for over a year.  Someone kill someone already.  I imagine Urist McGrandma banging on the wall with her broom, yelling to keep it down over there.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37399 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:54 am »

My magma semelters/kilns/glass furnaces/forges are blinking like Morse code as the Nethernickel Stack struggles to pump enough magma up to push the Magmatic Chamber into 4/7 totality.

A clear glass Forgotten Beast showed up, and my competent-level swordsdwarves took care of it no problem~

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37400 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:06 am »

After sixteen years Searingmines is finally getting some attention: the fort got sieged by a very underwhelming siege force of eight poorly equipped Goblins and Elves. Still, it was better than nothing, so I sent all eighty five currently training military academy graduates out to get some fresh air and a bit of real combat experience (for the fastest few, anyway).

The battle was predictably quick and messy, and most students were left out of the fun entirely. I'm only hoping that this siege was only the first of many to come. It's been too quiet lately.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37401 on: October 06, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »

Achievement unlocked!  "Everybody was kung fu fighting": First tantrum spiral.

This is my 12th fort, quite late to unlock this cheevo. Fort's not gone yet, but my 100 adult population was at 5-8(forget) miserables as I started lunch, 20min of play later and I'm at 34 miserables, with a lot more dwarf-on-dwarf killing.

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37402 on: October 06, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »

The expedition leader of my latest fort became a king before the first migrant waves. It was FUN!
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37403 on: October 06, 2014, 02:15:14 pm »

Have plenty of iron, coal, and marble. Armorsmith got a fey mood. The command squad already has a full load of exceptional/masterwork-quality steel mail shirts and breastplates, plus steel axes(meh quality) and fairly high quality wooden shields. It's only the Spring of the second year.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37404 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:13 pm »

The expedition leader of my latest fort became a king before the first migrant waves. It was FUN!

Yeah... kings get a little cranky when all their furniture is wooden and they are living in an unsmoothed hole hacked out of rock, even if they are the only one in the fort with furniture (or a bed).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37405 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:13 pm »

Finding out that a Forgotten Beast bloody rampage through my fort really is doing wonders for my FPS in spite of all the web-shooting.
Well, sure, I won't have any dwarf left alive in 5 minutes tops, but right now, the fluidity is amazing.

(I should probably be more alarmed about that. On the other hand... fort's a half-built dome of clear glass on top of a volcano. There are FB webbings every fucking where. It must be an amazing sight!)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

BirdBrainf4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37406 on: October 06, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »

Since I am still getting the swing of things...

I finally set up a decent initial fort.  My "small" thing I would like to post here is that I finally was able to trade for everything from an elven caravan.  Granted, that may not be much for the regular player, but for me, that is a good stepping stone.  Learned how to do plenty of other basic stuff as well, so pretty cool.  One mistake I did was make all of my animals available, so now every dwarf pretty much has a pet lol.  However, all part of the learning I suppose.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37407 on: October 07, 2014, 02:14:26 am »

Reaching VERRRY close to my pop cap of 200 ((currently at 154, expecting some big waves soon)) so I should probably start designating some bedrooms to be dug, maybe a dining room. I AM currently working on a hospital.

The Magmatic Chamber has reached 4/7 totality, and some squares are even 5/7. Might pump it up to 7/7 at some point.

Still waiting for my Giant Cave Swallow eggs to hatch ((they haven't been touched))

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37408 on: October 07, 2014, 02:22:59 am »

Although it's not happening right now, either forest fire or dragonfire created an interesting phenomenon in my now retired and deleted fort. Top soil lair is missing in many spots and act as a hole in the ground, but right below there's simply revealed soil, as if it was downward staircase.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37409 on: October 07, 2014, 02:33:10 am »

Cave crocodile hatchlings have hatched! :D
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 ... 3839