Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2491 2492 [2493] 2494 2495 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972533 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37380 on: October 04, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »

Apparently digging into a cavern makes cave floors grow plump helmets and sweet pods. Interesting.

All the subterranean crops are gatherable from the caverns (provided you have caverns under your embark that have them populated).  And by extension any soil/muddy squares in your fort after you breach them. 

That little factoid is a huge part of survival in a minimalist or single-pick embark.  It's also a way to prune out some of the starting seeds that you may not actually need if you're going to go cavern hunting early on.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37381 on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:21 pm »

HELL YES

ERIBARAN SURVIVED THE 77 GOBBO ARMY

WE HAVE COMMISSIONED TWO PLATINUM STATUES TO MARK THE OCCASION

WE WILL REEDUCATE THE CAVE DRAGONS AND PIT THEM AGAINST THEIR GOBLIN MASTERS IN THE LIGHTNINGCUBE

ALL IS WELL
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37382 on: October 04, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »

Apparently digging into a cavern makes cave floors grow plump helmets and sweet pods. Interesting.

All the subterranean crops are gatherable from the caverns (provided you have caverns under your embark that have them populated).  And by extension any soil/muddy squares in your fort after you breach them. 

That little factoid is a huge part of survival in a minimalist or single-pick embark.  It's also a way to prune out some of the starting seeds that you may not actually need if you're going to go cavern hunting early on.

Just noticed. As long as I don't run into my first Forgotten Beast while exploring the first cavern, this can be useful. (Then again, that's probably a more fun way to lose a fortress other than making everyone dehydrate to death.)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37383 on: October 04, 2014, 01:37:35 pm »

HELL YES

WE WILL REEDUCATE THE CAVE DRAGONS AND PIT THEM AGAINST THEIR GOBLIN MASTERS IN THE LIGHTNINGCUBE

ALL IS WELL

not to rain on your parade there, but cave dragons captured from sieges can't be tamed without a loyalty cascade.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37384 on: October 04, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »

Well, my current fort's running quite well. I'm just a bit low on booze since the beginning (20 - 150) but never none. Just killed a really small elven caravan to see if my squad is capable of killing enemies. I'm hoping for some goblins to kill soon-

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37385 on: October 04, 2014, 03:01:55 pm »

Turns out my best carpenter got a strange mood and made an artifact bucket before suddenly dying with his corpse being "mangled." If this was from wounds after an earlier goblin siege, he's been using the last of his mangled body for the past few days to make buckets for the wounded and beds for the hospital. I'll put a tomb inside his home and use the house as a memorial for the best dwarf in Tomesdays.
Turns out his dream if I recall correctly was to make a masterwork. So I guess this means after being wounded, with his body mangled and in his dying breaths, he made a masterwork bucket and fulfilled his dream before dying.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:08:43 pm by Walrusking »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37386 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »

Wow, I had a goblin seige. I hadn't seen the goblins for three years, and then they came and destroyed me.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37387 on: October 04, 2014, 04:41:04 pm »

HELL YES

ALL IS WELL

not to rain on your parade there, but cave dragons captured from sieges can't be tamed without a loyalty cascade.
Yeah, I noticed.

No matter! The giant olm seems to be open to new ideas.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37388 on: October 04, 2014, 05:38:40 pm »

Daggertrusts is doing well.  I have established a thriving city between the second and third caverns, deep in the glacier-chilled mountains of the south.  The Goblins do not seem to be aware of my presence, although the dwarves and humans find me easily.  Curious.

The only ores present are magnetite and tetra.  I have a full steel-clad army... totally of no use against the giant fire-breathing flatworm that just crawled out of the third cavern.  Smells like FUN.

My courtyard is awash in vomit after everyone got used to living below.  Oops.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Futhington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37389 on: October 04, 2014, 05:42:11 pm »

Fellseals has just had a particularly interesting artifact produced. A glass "scepter" named "The Most Blazes".

Basically my dwarves just made the world's gnarliest bong.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37390 on: October 05, 2014, 06:38:13 am »

My first pair of completely tame Unicorns produced completely tame offspring. That project is now complete ((now for dingoes and giant cave swallows~))

My magmatic pump stack is complete, but I'm holding off on activation until I fix a small error in planning. Then we'll see what happens :D

EDIT: Magma is now flowing into the chamber at the bottom of the stack. A wild, caged Blind Cave Ogre gave birth to a girl.

EDIT 2:
Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:35:29 am by Lolfail0009 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37391 on: October 05, 2014, 08:43:36 am »

Oh gods, I didn't expect "fucknuggets" of all things... I'm gonna cough up a lung.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37392 on: October 05, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »

Right. That's it. This in-cave mushroom craziness is going too far. Building floords on soil because mushrooms have been blowing open people's homes and tombs.

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37393 on: October 05, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »

Just had a migrant show up and I feel awfully sorry for him as he is married to "Sazir Sackattack". He shall now be known as Urist McTender.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37394 on: October 05, 2014, 08:53:42 pm »

Was about to open the gobbo's cage while he was in a closed room, and it took the floodgate too long to close. Luckily, the military took care of him before he could make it to the dangerously close mayor.
Pages: 1 ... 2491 2492 [2493] 2494 2495 ... 3839