Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104100 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3720 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:20 am »

New fort (40d). I'm going to try and see if I can survive off of the Goblin Industry. My fort (nobles and all) will survive solely based on my martial skill in murdering Goblins and selling their trousers. And farming/brewing. There will be farmers/brewers. And Smiths. But it will survive CHIEFLY on murdering goblins and selling their trousers.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: June 18, 2010, 05:17:38 am »

just noticed one dwarf dodged into a single lake I didn't dig ramps for getting out and of course drowned in it. Another one was caught in a cage, I think he became unconscious right over the trap. So there were 6 wounded, and one dead in this last siege.

Digging ramps to all remaining lakes..

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: June 18, 2010, 06:11:25 am »

Phew. You know, for not actually digging anything, I sure have put a lot of work into this fort. Argh. But I ought to savour the headache0inducing designations while I can; the more work I do designating the longer it is before the goddamned digging starts up again.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: June 18, 2010, 10:34:41 am »

Phew. You know, for not actually digging anything, I sure have put a lot of work into this fort. Argh. But I ought to savour the headache0inducing designations while I can; the more work I do designating the longer it is before the goddamned digging starts up again.

So... you were frozen today? (Nostalgia Critic reference)
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: June 18, 2010, 10:38:13 am »

Hi!

The children seem to have a strong tendency to age a bit late.

However, the big news is that I really made the mistake decision to convert my fortress into a barony (of course, now I have a mandate for bat leather items; I concentrated on finding a dwarf not fond of any of the nasty metals, and neglected that aspect (T_T) ). Oh, well this will be arranged somehow.

But the worst part has come this summer:
A lizard devilish diplomat from Pesor Naspa has arrived.

Yep, the law-giver of my human friends is a demon thingie (^_^;;

Or to be precise:
Vilela Anayaone, law-giver
(Vilela the Dead Bones)

A towering lizard twisted into humanoid form with lidless eyes. It chants ceaselessly. Its green scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its fire!

He is average in size.

Remembering what people said about building-destroying diplomats, I am somewhat worried. However, right now, he has decided to jump into the brook and stay there. If only he remains there until early winter, at least that problem should be solved in due time :) :) :)

Too bad that the monstrous diplomats are bugged. I would have loved to make trade-agreements with him as he sounds like a fun guy.

Deathworks

EDIT: The last five minutes have been a bumpy ride of hope, despair and hope. With the advent of the human traders, the diplomat decided to start rampaging through my fortress. Of course, he smashed the trade depot and there was no kind of building destroyer trap there yet.

After destroying the furniture in my hospital, dining room and dormitory, he began messing around with my well's reservoir - And it was not long ere I saw the dreaded "flood gate destroyed".

Quickly, I cancelled all digging in the lower floor and stopped all workshops there as I feared that he had breached the flood gate leading to the brook - but instead, when my panic subsided, I noticed that he had just destroyed the flood gate for the emergency draining - so the water wasn't enough to flood the entire level.

But this still left it only a matter of time before he got the "right" flood gate, or so I thought and despaired.

The day was saved from an unexpected side, however. You see, when I create a well, I always surround the inside of the walls with floor grates, connecting the different levels with constructed stairs (only up and down stairs, never up/down stairs, so no two stair sets are at the same corner). And the diplomat started destroying those floor grates - often even destroying the floor grate he was standing on.

Even with some red wounds, he couldn't stop his favorite game, and after starting another decent, he finally lies dead at the bottom of my reservoir. I have saved the game as I have to think about all that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:01:17 am by Deathworks »

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3725 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

Such violence. I didn't know this could happen o_o

EDIT: I think this hammerdwarf may turn out to be some sort of a serial killer. I am disturbed.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:06:54 am by madk »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: June 18, 2010, 11:25:39 am »

a lot of dwarves take joy in slaughter. It's a good way of making sure they're not saddened too much if they get hurt.

I'm a bit sad. My almost legendary miner decided to ignore my stay inside order and walk into a dark elf ambush carrying crossbows. Now I've only got one miner, and he doubles up as my armourer and weaponsmith.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »

I just noticed something interesting. My two legendary miners apparently became lovers at some point. Which is sweet, but makes them one of the biggest potential dangers in my fortress. Since mining isn't the safest job, one of them is likely to end up getting hurt at some point. It doesn't help that one of them is a named dwarf that I have managed to kill in all of my games so far (usually he's the first one to die though. I think this is actually the longest he has lived). The death of either of them will surely cause the other to be upset, along with a number of their friends. This could lead to one of them entering dwarven rage and embedding their pick axe in someone's face, which would probably result in a tantrum spiral.

In an unrelated side note, does anyone know if its possible to acquire a whip in Fortress mode?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:31:46 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: June 18, 2010, 12:35:01 pm »

Hmm... I think I'll turn my underwater fortress into a succession game.

EDIT:
Or maybe DF will crash like it does every time I try to do something with it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:36:56 pm by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »

Hi!

The children seem to have a strong tendency to age a bit late.

However, the big news is that I really made the mistake decision to convert my fortress into a barony (of course, now I have a mandate for bat leather items; I concentrated on finding a dwarf not fond of any of the nasty metals, and neglected that aspect (T_T) ). Oh, well this will be arranged somehow.

But the worst part has come this summer:
A lizard devilish diplomat from Pesor Naspa has arrived.

Yep, the law-giver of my human friends is a demon thingie (^_^;;

Or to be precise:
Vilela Anayaone, law-giver
(Vilela the Dead Bones)

A towering lizard twisted into humanoid form with lidless eyes. It chants ceaselessly. Its green scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its fire!

He is average in size.

Remembering what people said about building-destroying diplomats, I am somewhat worried. However, right now, he has decided to jump into the brook and stay there. If only he remains there until early winter, at least that problem should be solved in due time :) :) :)

Too bad that the monstrous diplomats are bugged. I would have loved to make trade-agreements with him as he sounds like a fun guy.

Deathworks

EDIT: The last five minutes have been a bumpy ride of hope, despair and hope. With the advent of the human traders, the diplomat decided to start rampaging through my fortress. Of course, he smashed the trade depot and there was no kind of building destroyer trap there yet.

After destroying the furniture in my hospital, dining room and dormitory, he began messing around with my well's reservoir - And it was not long ere I saw the dreaded "flood gate destroyed".

Quickly, I cancelled all digging in the lower floor and stopped all workshops there as I feared that he had breached the flood gate leading to the brook - but instead, when my panic subsided, I noticed that he had just destroyed the flood gate for the emergency draining - so the water wasn't enough to flood the entire level.

But this still left it only a matter of time before he got the "right" flood gate, or so I thought and despaired.

The day was saved from an unexpected side, however. You see, when I create a well, I always surround the inside of the walls with floor grates, connecting the different levels with constructed stairs (only up and down stairs, never up/down stairs, so no two stair sets are at the same corner). And the diplomat started destroying those floor grates - often even destroying the floor grate he was standing on.

Even with some red wounds, he couldn't stop his favorite game, and after starting another decent, he finally lies dead at the bottom of my reservoir. I have saved the game as I have to think about all that.

Sounds like fun :)

As your fort seem to be a barony, could you share the import/export values? I'm testing on the criterias to get a baron.

And hey maybe you have saved a human civ from being suppressed by a deamon :)

I found out that injuries to the throat are really bad, also in df. One of my dwarves falls unconsious now, even though the throat injury has been treated.
And for the next fortress I will assign my doctors to a hospital burrow, as it seems that my patients get infections, because they are not cleaned and treated fast enaugh.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »

In an unrelated side note, does anyone know if its possible to acquire a whip in Fortress mode?

Yes - just wait for a goblin siege/ambush with a lasher.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: June 18, 2010, 01:22:32 pm »

Well this is odd. I was flooding my farm plots to replenish the mud, when a blue shark fell into one of them. Apparently it got caught behind the floodgates after wandering into my irrigation channel.

Can you butcher a dead fish?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: June 18, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »

Well this is odd. I was flooding my farm plots to replenish the mud, when a blue shark fell into one of them. Apparently it got caught behind the floodgates after wandering into my irrigation channel.

Can you butcher a dead fish?

You can process them in a fishery. I always disable fishing and fish cleaning on my dwarves. They can get all they need from the 20 billion Plump Helmets the two farm plots crank out...

There's another thing for the future, nutrition. Plump Helmets probably have a lot of vitamins, but it's probably a good idea to get some meat in there as well...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: June 18, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »

the fishery is for vermin fish. I think a shark does get butchered, since it's a large animal.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: June 18, 2010, 01:50:17 pm »

I give up my next fort due to a *wait for it* bug!

And to say more ARROWS SUCK!

scratching the left toe of one of my steelboxes aka militia with a bow = DEATH within seconds, chopping an arm off and what so ever with a sword = LIVE forever wah!  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 3842