Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2478 2479 [2480] 2481 2482 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972611 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37185 on: September 18, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

Currently worldgenning several (~20 so far) worlds to compare for the one I like.  Geography!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37186 on: September 19, 2014, 03:58:12 am »

(The werehyena already had murdered poor Dodók's mom before starting to torture her. The few bolts a heroic marksdwarf put in the vile creature before that were a cold comfort, because it regenerated all wounds upon turning back into a female human and making its escape.
P.S. A note for ‼Science‼: Intelligent creatures with grasping appendages may pull out any bolts stuck in them. (This would be a very bad idea IRL, since the bolt would most likely plug the bleeding from your new surplus orifice.)

Things have been relatively quiet after that last werebeast incursion, so I've mostly focused on getting the backlog of unburied dorfs into coffins and setting up living quarters.
Just for practice, I set my militia upon a hapless pangolin that wandered nearby. After uselessly pounding the creature with his artifact dwarf bone war hammer(!), my guard captain bit the poor creature to death. (Shaking the critter around by the upper body opened a major artery, causing it to bleed out.)
Another note for ‼Science‼: Dwarf bone is a poor material for blunt weapons. Roughly 90% of hits with that artifact hammer cause nothing but slight bruising. (Which of course is a Good Thing™ when the baroness orders your legendary armorer to be hammered for failing to produce enough scepters.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37187 on: September 19, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »

Checking legends after backing up my save, I discovered the reason why Manordashed has been abandoned for 240 years: the fort began at the dawn of time and existed for 10 years until a forgotten beast, a giant one-eyed crocodile, attacked and devoured every single resident. The beast is still in the area, though the dwarves have yet to see it...

Fortunately, I am training a steel-equipped military, so the beast should not be too dangerous unless it has a particularly nasty syndrome.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37188 on: September 19, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

My only armorer, was almost able to produce good iron short swords, went insane and, a few moments later, became struck by melancholy.
This because his son was outside when the goblin siege arrived, and I sealed the entrance leaving a few child, the fishermen and the animals to suffer death by boredom (the goblin just killed the fisherdorf when he decided to take a break and to go drinking to the river).

As soon as I'll provide my militia a decent iron armour, I'll go killing the 5 goblins that are sieging me. It should be enough to kill them with swords, as they don't seem to use archery (they beated the children to death).

Thank Armok, while digging to the cavern in order to keep my forges fueled by underground chopping, I discovered a pool of magma. Now I should have enough fuel to make a new iron anvil, and then my magma forges will be better that Peter Jackson's Erebor's ones (seriously, how come that they had so huge furnaces still able to work after 250 years and no new charcoal?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:23:48 pm by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37189 on: September 19, 2014, 09:34:39 pm »

Booted up The Cheerful Land of Ghouls again. After clearing off the dust, I find my current goals:
(1) Finish second trap hall / archer hall in the cavern. The walls are done (even walls build above the bridges), but dwarves refuse to link the bridge to a lever. I guess he's trying to stand-on-top-of a square to link the bridge, but that square is currently "open space" (because the bridge ain't done yet) so the dwarf just froze in place. I was able to deconstruct the bridges and begin flooring the "open space", but now the parrot is flying dangerously close again
(2) Mechanical Power to the magma forge area. In progress, I'm stacking gears into the garbage chute, and about a third of the way from magma level to current power supply level.
(3) Figure out what to do with the magma forge area. Right now I have a big empty chamber, and some other plans too. I'm thinking about doing a 'separate fort' down there, connected to the main via minecart only (When a dwarf "kick-off" the minecart, it gets 2 squares of immunity to fly over gaps and through fortifications right?)

And I just got a new mayor, who mandated gauntlets. I think this is a good mayor.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #37190 on: September 20, 2014, 03:23:32 am »

My fort has descended into a murderous Wallace and Gromit film, thanks to a Wererabbit plague. Yes. Sodding Wererabbits. It's difficult to keep the population above the 20. I have built a room to store my werebeasts in, but I need a floodgate and a lever to trap them.
Preparing a small tunnel to the outside world, that I will use to release the werebeast into the wild incase of ambushes, invasions, etc. Requires more levers and more floodgates if I can even get the sodding project finished.

Some idiot broke the bridge over the river that divides the fortress in half and half a year later it has only just been rebuilt.

The diplomat got beaten to a pulp by the trader, but survived. He was crossing the bridge, looking for someone to talk to, when he caught sight of a giant sponge in the distance. He became enraged and made a spectacular 4z level dive, off the bridge, to go and pummel a giant red sponge at the bottom of a river.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:47:29 am by WordsandChaos »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37191 on: September 20, 2014, 06:27:35 am »

(When a dwarf "kick-off" the minecart, it gets 2 squares of immunity to fly over gaps and through fortifications right?)

No, that's the other way 'round - a dwarven push is enough to let a cart fly over a gap, but _not_ when the gap's immediately behind the location where the cart was pushed. The gap must be a hole without ramps, a ramp will "capture" and pull down every cart that moves under derail speed.
And a cart that's flying (e.g. after jumping over a gap) will pass through fortifications unhindered. A dwarf can even ride it through the fortification. The fortification must be adjacent or at least very close to the gap, because the "air time" a cart gets through jumping is very limited (with a push, you can only get the cart through a fortification immediately adjacent to the gap).

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37192 on: September 20, 2014, 10:53:01 am »

Fortress B has recovered from the brink of disaster, after a wood-gathering operation on the surface let a werebison inside. It butchered 9 of the 35 inhabitants before they beat it to death, and the riots afterward claimed the lives of another 6. The dead include almost every skilled artisan, the only doctor, and the 2 woodcutters, who were on the surface at the time. I've formed an impromptu militia there to keep order and prevent such a thing from happening again, but the reduction in manpower could seriously hurt Fortress D down by the magma sea, who are severely lacking in beds, as well as coke for steel making. Forts A and C are going along swimmingly. Fort C just finished a canal, so they can fish from the safety of the fortress. Fort A just had a clothier finish a strange mood.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37193 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »

A siege just arrived. The previous one still hasn't completely left the map.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37194 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »

I fought my first ever GCS. For some reason I could never find them in any of the caverns on any of my other worlds. I was digging into the cavern in a nice, defended entrance after previously breached and patched elsewhere, and I had a bad feeling. I dig one tile to open up the cavern with my military in wait. And lo and behold, the moment I open it up, GIANT CAVE SPIDER! My militia goes running after it, Marksdwarves trailing behind. A Swordsdwarf was the first to reach it, cuaght in its spawn webs and paralyzed by its venom. Then, our captain shows up and with her swords begins to chop off leg after leg, the spider finishing off her comrade. Another Swordsdwarf shows up and stabs it in the head. The captain stabbed it in the heart and the beast killed over and died. Over all, not bad. 1 dead Dorf, 1 dead GCS.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37195 on: September 20, 2014, 01:38:57 pm »

Accidentally opened the circus but thanks to advanced worldgen parameters there was only one clown type which wasn't very strong only one out of 10 legendary fighter died (got charged stunned and his hand and head kicked into gore). Decided to build a stair to the manege to pave the sand, thought i'd take a shortcut by mining stairs at one point accidentaly mined into magma, and i decided it wasn't worth trying to plug the leak with 20ish fps so i retired.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37196 on: September 20, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »

"Welcome to Searingmines, Mr and Mrs Minotaur. I hope you find your cages comfortable."

This world seems to have a lot of minotaurs; so far four of them have visited Searingmines and I managed to catch the last two of them, a male and a female.

This raises new possibilities. Do minotaurs breed?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37197 on: September 20, 2014, 03:09:19 pm »

"Welcome to Searingmines, Mr and Mrs Minotaur. I hope you find your cages comfortable."

This world seems to have a lot of minotaurs; so far four of them have visited Searingmines and I managed to catch the last two of them, a male and a female.

This raises new possibilities. Do minotaurs breed?
I once had a world dubbed "The Cyclopean Universes" Ironically, I never met a Cyclops.

EDIT, we'll more of an addition to avoid double post: Apperently, my settlement was just defaced by "The Impertinent Nation" I think humans just declared war on me...

EDIT 2: Oh, I read that wrong. It meant a good engraving was grown over by vegetation in the mud left over by near-flood.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:50:45 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37198 on: September 20, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »

Marblehalls just had its biggest goblinpurge ever, with over 400 caged goblins poured right into the waiting arms of my entire militia. The only warrior dwarf not taking part in the grand carnage was my duke, who felt a little sad to be left out of such good fun--but cheer up, duke, because during the massacre, a stray Mason got possessed and produced the fort's first artifact in years: A dolomite throne named "Championreward the Honor of Glades." It bears an image of the duke standing triumphant over a goblin he's just mortally wounded--in fact, with over 500 notable kills to his name, the duke is in fact Marblehalls's champion, and the city is actually the only clearing of any size in a large forest. Duke, you deserve a reward. Your dining room's about to get an upgrade.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37199 on: September 20, 2014, 11:51:01 pm »

Sounds like you created your own "Day of the Dead", when all the goblins pass on to the next life . Wish there was a way to mark festivals on a fortress calendar.

(When a dwarf "kick-off" the minecart, it gets 2 squares of immunity to fly over gaps and through fortifications right?)
No, that's the other way 'round - a dwarven push is enough to let a cart fly over a gap, but _not_ when the gap's immediately behind the location where the cart was pushed. The gap must be a hole without ramps, a ramp will "capture" and pull down every cart that moves under derail speed.
And a cart that's flying (e.g. after jumping over a gap) will pass through fortifications unhindered. A dwarf can even ride it through the fortification. The fortification must be adjacent or at least very close to the gap, because the "air time" a cart gets through jumping is very limited (with a push, you can only get the cart through a fortification immediately adjacent to the gap).

I heard about the 1-tile-grace-period requirement, but I didn't know about removing the ramps. I guess the flying cart is converted into the projectile code (per one of the release notes), and projectiles can go through fortifications. Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 2478 2479 [2480] 2481 2482 ... 3839