Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 [2460] 2461 2462 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972460 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36885 on: August 30, 2014, 07:28:55 pm »

I tried to reclaim one of the ruins left over by my civ (as opposed to one I made myself) and so much stuff was missing, I ended up wasting time and then a goblin siege appeared and I realized I hadn't even built a bowyers shop, so I ended up sending five unarmed dwarves against a single dwarf leading the goblins, and the gobbo-dwarf killed them all, almost effortlessly by the look of it...

whoops

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36886 on: August 30, 2014, 07:39:56 pm »

The only evidence I have is (1) this occurance and (2) after you kill a husk, the game will announce "Urist has been struck down". I can only surmise that husks are not actually undead, but still alive.
So I guess what happened is that the WereElk appeared, fought some ash covered zombies, got husked (alive), killed those zombies, transformed to a human (removed husk condition/interaction), then got beaten by some remaining zombies.

And that's the story of how the human and the goblin zombies all died together.

The syndrome probably wouldn't have been removed by a transformation. More likely it just got overwhelmed and probably pulped. With the new pulping mechanism husks aren't as bad as before, as you no longer need to bisect or decapitate them to kill them.

Actually, zombies may now be worse than husks, as zombies can survive being decapitated or bisected.

And husks are very much still alive, yes. At least, as much as a corrupted, mindless creature can still be alive.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36887 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »

Your logic is reasonable, but I'm still playing v34, so no pulping & magma just yet :) FWIW I actually bisected and decaptiated a beast earlier. For that case, it seemed to instantly transform from alive into zombie, but I'm guessing it was just random re-animation a couple frames after removing it's lower body. If I were in v40, that Toad Head would probably be pulped instead of just locked-up.

The only thing keeping me from v40 (besides time constraints) is a possible indestructible-zombie-hair zero-mass bug. I'm not sure if I will want to use NATURAL_DISCIPLINE or not, I'll have to see it in action first. And I think I'll remove most above ground trees to see if that helps framerate. Is LNP v40 linux-ready yet?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36888 on: August 30, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »

I do believe that it's Linux ready, and NATURAL_DISCIPLINE seems to help most of the time. Setting it at 1 or 2 seems to keep most civilian dwarves from freezing and being overcome by horror whenever they come across a corpse or waltz into your refuse stockpile to drop off a bunch of bones or other things. It's become my new thing to separate my refuse stockpiles so that bodies and body parts get shoved somewhere out of the way while bones, horns, skulls, wool, and such all get placed somewhere useful instead.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36889 on: August 30, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »

Lost my first DF2014 fort to a kobold thief. The thief obviously interpreted the caravan guards as a bigger threat than the fortress dwarves, and ran away from the guards, right into the thicket of fortress dwarves. Bloodshed ensued, followed by a tantrum spiral ((accelerated by a berserk miner))

cvaneseltine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36890 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:57 am »

"A vile force of darkness appears!"

Weirdly enough, this force of darkness was composed entirely of seven Elf Recruits. They were dressed in furs and leather, and they didn't appear to be armed at all.

So long, Ariel Oninopevo, Tira Olacethutha, Mawada Elearazi Otoganoa Niye, Lesana Kifinolepe, Aye Odapeve, Vadane Thithuimepe, and Salo Amelioda. Next time, bring unicorns! ...or toads, or whatever you ride when you've been assimilated by the goblins....

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36891 on: August 31, 2014, 06:56:12 am »

Trem Rimhaunted is the guardian of Bruteamused.

A successive plague of Werebears has left the fortress a charnel house of blood and death: a fitting shrine to Armok. She, with her axe, remains the lone survivor of the fortress, having killed the last Werebear of Bruteamused in the mid Spring of 255.

She may die of old age before the next group of migrants come. If she dies, there will be no one to protect the next inhabitants.

Something I have noticed: is five kills not enough to gain a title anymore? She's got her five, but no title.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:25:51 am by WordsandChaos »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36892 on: August 31, 2014, 09:40:00 am »

Any ideas?)

Your sure he wants skins, not something else? If you are playing with dfhack I believe showmood will tell you.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36893 on: August 31, 2014, 10:08:05 am »

Bloodmachine, Dwarf Fortress was wiped out of existence when a hapless miner accidentally dug into a candy cane and unleashed the ‼Fun Guys‼.
Five of the ‼Happy Fun Stuff‼ were killed by the heroic militia and a goblin invasion that happened to stroll in town towards the end of the event (and got utterly destroyed for its trouble), before the last Dwarven Child (Unconscious)(Starving)(Dehydrated)(Miserable) passed into the great unknown.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36894 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:10 pm »

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?
Yes, but is your butchering of the dogs and other animals done inside or outside? If it's done outside, then unless you have it set so that dwarves will gather refuse from outside they will never collect the skin and bones from the animals killed in your butcher's shop in order to tan the hides.

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?

I always park my tannery directly next to the butchery. I never have a stockpile for the skins, either. Also, everyone that farms, also tans. This means that tanning is always done nigh-instantly.

It's indoors, right next to my butcher's. It seemed to work once the skin got stockpiled, strangely enough, I guess the skin was marked for stockpiling and it couldn't be used until my one useful dwarf got around to it? I'm not entirely sure how that works, but either way, it's fine now. I doubt I can recover from this, but I shall try. Thanks much.

Yea, if you had a stockpile (I don't either) for raw hides, then there's no stockpile to issue a store item job for those raw hides, and the tannery will grab it directly from the butcher's shop. If you do have a stockpile for raw hides, I think it's pretty much guaranteed it needs to be stored first/the store item job gets issued/queued first, so there's no free raw hides to tan, so no tanning job gets issued/queued.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36895 on: August 31, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

Can Dwarves with strange moods create divine metal end-products? I just got a bulging steel breastplate, whatever that means and it just took regular steel. On a related note, I now have a legendary armor smith!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36896 on: August 31, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

Can Dwarves with strange moods create divine metal end-products? I just got a bulging steel breastplate, whatever that means and it just took regular steel. On a related note, I now have a legendary armor smith!

The breastplate itself is a bulging breastplate. There are randomly generated weapons and armours now, in addition to metals.

It's just regular steel. Though if you did have any divine metal bars, a mooding dwarf could use them.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36897 on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »

Nearly got one of my first seven killed channeling a stream, the miner got caught in the current and washed up on the other side...

I had to get one of my other dwarves to cut down a tree and build a platform across for him...

Now I just need to make sure I can get booze production ready before the winter freeze hits

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36898 on: August 31, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »

Nearly got one of my first seven killed channeling a stream, the miner got caught in the current and washed up on the other side...

I had to get one of my other dwarves to cut down a tree and build a platform across for him...

Now I just need to make sure I can get booze production ready before the winter freeze hits

Lost my only pick in the last embark by trying to channel out a brook.  Went so well right up until I went to collapse the last section.  Dwarf was standing in the wrong spot and somehow managed to get knocked into the water by some of the splash caused by collapse.  Poor dope.  We really missed that pick he was holding.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36899 on: August 31, 2014, 10:22:46 pm »

Since I retired the last one to FPS death, I've decided to go for a more... exciting embark. I've found a good spot on a terrifying savanna, next to the aptly named stream: Atehammers. May the undead of the region live up to the name for years to come!

I've also found that in the time since the foundation of the last fortress, every single mountain hall and hill site save the capital has fallen to the green menace. Their corpses will only add to the pile. The Free Brothers have arrived here at this place, Axeripper. Strike the Earth!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 [2460] 2461 2462 ... 3839