Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2452 2453 [2454] 2455 2456 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972387 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36795 on: August 26, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »

My dwarves have gotten a queen of their own now; strangely enough, she has a negative view of those who exercise power over others. Huh. Oh, and I think I might have started a war with the elves. Good thing, since there aren't any gobbos apparently.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36796 on: August 26, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »

Playing on Masterwork mod on a gnome fort, but I think what happened still deserves a place here:

I was just about to abandon the fort for FPS death, when a titan arrives. A stone quadruped with horns and "joyous movements", or something similar. He immediately rushes to my fort, goes through a passage in the walls I forgot to seal up, smashes my military in a couple of seconds and then proceeds to turn every person in my fort into a flying projectile, usually heading towards a wall or into the well. When the 184 people in the fort have been reduced to 24, the beast faces my war beasts, who manage to injure it; then, my only miner left lands a lucky hit to the head, finishing it off.
The fort is a total mess, only 3 of the people left are (almost) sane adults, and two of them go insane and depressed almost immediately, together with about half of the children. The one guy left does some work, until a couple of tantruming children give him just enough injuries to force him in bed.
Meanwhile, one of the unconcious citiziens does  the only thing possible at the moment... becomes mayor and claims the former mayor's room.
At this point, all the children are going insane one after another, fighting against each other or walking around aimlessly.

And then, a caravan arrives.
The diplomat proceeds to stand next to the mayor, which is passed out in his bed, with his head completely smashed.

So, now I have 7 children alive but totally depressed and on the edge of madness, 5 other children and 2 adults struck by melancholy, 2 dwarves in bed, without any possibility to recover, no food, no drinks, and a caravan waiting in the middle of the miasma, standing on top of dozens of body parts, waiting for the traders.
And, I almost forgot, the other guy in bed, who isn't unconcious, is throwing a tantrum. He can't walk, hit anything or move in any way...

So, this was fun. Off to the next fort, then!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:20:34 pm by 94dima94 »
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36797 on: August 26, 2014, 06:32:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1.  The skeletal goblin is choking out the child.  You might say he has a . . . death grip . . . on him?
2.  The rooster is hanging onto the child's head, flailing its neck back and forth like a robotic toy.
3.  Its a rotten rooster :)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36798 on: August 27, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

Finally got myself some weapons-grade metals on my fort so I just started telling my smithies to churn out the weapons and armour.

Then I see that for some reason this dwarf civilization has high boots as a foreign piece of gear. I guess low boots and greaves will have to do. Also discovered that I wasn't able to tell my squads that I wanted them in specifically red dyed wool cloaks, which was interesting but not the end of the world.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36799 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:30 am »

Handed Ineth McImmigrantNoSkillPeasant a chisel and told him to tap the volcano wall. He did so, then decided it would be prudent to look through the breach at the glowing happiness on the other side. He set his mouth, fingers and tongue on fire (was he trying to eat the magma?), then collapsed and was immolated by the molten goo.

Good knowing you, !!idiot!!

Welp, time to queue up a slab.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36800 on: August 27, 2014, 03:34:42 am »

There's quite a lot of fighting going on in the caverns, involving at least (a) crundle(s), a cave fish woman blowgunner, and a reacher, all trying to kill each other. The shrew-shaped FB is all too happy to do its part in the monster v. monster free-for-all.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36801 on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:20 am »

*brown recluse spider man silk sock*
There were a bunch of webs sitting around the moment we embarked.

The chief medical dwarf made an iron goblet and is now a legendary metalcrafter. Hm, fine, i guess? We're on an island with no trade apart from the dwarfs, who presumably caulk their wagons and float to get here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36802 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:40 am »

Well, I'm afraid that nothing super interesting has gone on...in any of my forts...I'm waiting for a dragon attack or something to happen. Maybe I need to export more gold?

Also, Urist McShire,
You'll have to designate each soldier to take a SPECIFIC item in order to get them to claim a red cloak.
Go to "Armor", I think, then select the option labeled something like "Use individual item", at the top of the list of possible armor categories.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36803 on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:30 am »

Also, Urist McShire,
You'll have to designate each soldier to take a SPECIFIC item in order to get them to claim a red cloak.
Go to "Armor", I think, then select the option labeled something like "Use individual item", at the top of the list of possible armor categories.

Really?  I remember in v.34.11 that I could just go to M for material and C for colour and specify that I wanted a squad to wear emerald sheep wool cloaks, for example, and they would. Having to assign individual cloaks to them just to ensure that they are wearing a specific colour cloak is a total pain.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36804 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »

The most useful migrant ever.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36805 on: August 27, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »

'Running around babbling' is code for insane?  Lunatic Kramer insane or jump in the lava insane?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36806 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:34 pm »

'Running around babbling' is code for insane?  Lunatic Kramer insane or jump in the lava insane?

One of the (mostly harmless) types of insanity, yes. Eventually she'll die of thirst.

This reminds me of the forgotten beasts in 34.11 (at least) that could arrive at your fort really wounded, and could be killed with a punch. Or if they were flesh and blood, they could die of bloodloss before they got more than a few steps. I wonder if those are still around...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36807 on: August 27, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »

One of the (mostly harmless) types of insanity, yes. Eventually she'll die of thirst.

This reminds me of the forgotten beasts in 34.11 (at least) that could arrive at your fort really wounded, and could be killed with a punch. Or if they were flesh and blood, they could die of bloodloss before they got more than a few steps. I wonder if those are still around...

Just want to be sure.  So thats listed as their current task now, ehh?
PKs DF Mod!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36808 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:09 pm »

Eagles have finally fucked off and left  Lakewatch after updating the save to 40.10. Also now have a three dwarf legendary crew of death: Sword, Axe, Mace. Two kids grew up and were immediately shunted off into the marksdwarf units while still doing thier jobs as fieldhands, two founders got hitched, and thanks to the monkey attacks I now have a legendary bone carver.

The dwarves are now starting to build the second level of the walls, predominantly out of wood with stone block flooring, hives have been installed, and all the refined metal in the place is in use as crafts or weaponry. And now a werehorse, the feared Hustra Womube has been sighted. Time to see if these dorfs have the skills to pay the bills and if my Swordmaster can avoid losing a second child (as she's still lugging a baby around who was born after poor little Olon was killed by the hated mandrill Taranbobrur.)

EDIT: Flawless victory! Swordmaster Mafol even managed to get the last kill in, and Lumberjack Litast managed to draw the beast into the waiting maw of death that is the militia. And the baby wasn't even mangled!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36809 on: August 27, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »

Finally got a volcano on a great map. I'm filling the magma reservoir on top of it, causing the surface of the magma in the volcano to make uneven waves. Magma forges and furnaces are temporarily unusable, as they constantly switch between on and off.
Then, a Weaponsmith gets a fey mood (after a streak of something like 10 possessions and mostly useless artifacts, too!).
My reactions in the span of literally 3 seconds:
*Urist McWeaponsmith interrupts work: fey mood!*
"Awww yeaaaaaah! You're the best, Urist."
*Urist McWeaponsmith claims a magma forge!*
"... huh.... uh-oh."
*Magma forge unpowered!*
*Urist McWeaponsmith goes berserk!*
"Oh well. I guess I didn't need that weapon that badly after all. He'd have made a gold sword or something equally useless anyway. Yep. That's what I'm going to repeat to myself so I don't cry. Yep. Yeaaaaah."
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 2452 2453 [2454] 2455 2456 ... 3839