Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2451 2452 [2453] 2454 2455 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972450 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36780 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:12 am »

My first 40.10 fort had a siege right after the first year. 2 goblins and 8 elves. We're at war with the gobos, and they seem to have subdued a good deal of elven folk.
With only 23 Dwarves and no military training or equipment set up at all, i had little choice. I called everybody inside and locked the doors.

That's what i tried, at least. Then it came to my attention that Urist McDerp had dropped a single Prickle Berry Seed on one of my doors, forcing it open.

Dumping did not happen in time, and my cage traps only caught 6 of the invaders. I drafted 20 dwarves, and bloody slaughter ensued. With barely anybody armed, the invaders were nonetheless wrestled to the ground and killed.
However, the fort has sustained critical losses: 10 dwarves dead in the fight, another 8 injured and resting in beds. I have no skilled doctor and neither thread, nor cloth or soap.
With a pond in front of the fort, a couple buckets and a freshly drafted dabbling voodoo doctor, we shall see where this goes. To my amazement, we do NOT have tantrums happening just now.

Shortly after, the elven caravan arrived. To my dismay, recent versions seem to have changed their trade goods. They did not bring a single thread or cloth unit.

Unfortunate timing, really. I had just completed an order for large trap equipment - spiked balls, large serrated disks and axe blades were ready for deployment.
At least my legenday mechanic survived, and 1 of each important job (farmer, miner, mason, woodworker, smith) so i've got that going for me.

Lesson learned for this fort: next immigration wave will be put on military training immediatly. Hopefully i get an experienced fighter with them, to teach the weaklings.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:22:50 am by Lord Snow »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36781 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:59 am »

Maybe Toady caught on to us using elven caravans as free bags of loot for cloth and thread.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36782 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:52 am »

And blade weed seeds. Now where am I going to get the plants to make my ☼emerald sheep wool cloaks☼ if my embark site doesn't have them?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36783 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:44 am »

Finally started a .40 fortress that I think I'll keep, since the FPS seems good. The first part of the year was uneventful, but I got a surprise when the caravan came; apparently, a large amount of the dwarven nobility is either human or greenskin. My civ is also apparently constantly getting cities taken by Gobbos, which makes sense considering the number of pits on the map..... I get the feeling my fort will become one of those "last bastion of dwarfgob civilization" type places in the coming years...

Edit: Oh, necromancers. Apparently I settled next to a tower. Fun!
....And apparently my queen is a goblin drunk.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:29:21 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36784 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »

Finally started a .40 fortress that I think I'll keep, since the FPS seems good. The first part of the year was uneventful, but I got a surprise when the caravan came; apparently, a large amount of the dwarven nobility is either human or greenskin. My civ is also apparently constantly getting cities taken by Gobbos, which makes sense considering the number of pits on the map..... I get the feeling my fort will become one of those "last bastion of dwarfgob civilization" type places in the coming years...

The caravan just arrived for my newest .40.10 fort as well, and nearly all of my civilization noble positions are held by Goblins. 12/17 positions are filled by goblins, but at least the general is a respectable dwarf. However, the Queen Consort is a Goblin! I need to go into Legends mode later and figure out just what the heck happened!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36785 on: August 26, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »

The caravan just arrived for my newest .40.10 fort as well, and nearly all of my civilization noble positions are held by Goblins. 12/17 positions are filled by goblins, but at least the general is a respectable dwarf. However, the Queen Consort is a Goblin! I need to go into Legends mode later and figure out just what the heck happened!
Goblins live forever.  As they get assimilated into your society, they have an eternity to gain skills and acquire positions of power.  And they are actually fairly energetic and ambitious, if I am not mistaken.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36786 on: August 26, 2014, 01:42:18 pm »

Built small steel factory 4 wood furnaces and 6 smelters non stop running at magma layer. Takes about 30 dwarfs worker drones run it and feed stockpiles with booze coolant fluid, masterful roasts bio-mass, stone, ore and wood.

I think it would be easier to grind gauntlets and melt them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:46:01 pm by Dzedajus »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36787 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:29 pm »

When I put magma forges way down at the bottom, I find it helpful to put enough bedrooms for the metalworkers and furnace operators and a few dedicated haulers, plus a dining room and food/booze stockpiles, so those folk don't have to keep making the long climb up and down. Use a burrow to make sure they stay down there.

Drop shafts to take the food, booze, charcoal and ore down would probably be a good idea too. Although I haven't made a good way to avoid having stuff land on the heads of the haulers at the bottom of the shaft. A hatch in the shaft closed by a pressure plate leading to the bottom ought to work, except that pressure plates open hatches instead of closing them, so a NOT gate would be needed as well.

If you don't mind using the impulse ramp exploit, you can build a minecart helix to carry the products of your forges back up. Even without using impulse ramps and having dwarves guide the carts would be much more efficient than hand carrying everything up.

The main thing is to avoid dwarves having to keep making the long trips up and down more often than absolutely necessary.

Your wood furnaces can be up top or down at the bottom. It's just a question of whether you want to send logs or charcoal down. But if you put them up at the top, you don't have to carry food and booze for your wood burners.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36788 on: August 26, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

Goblins live forever.  As they get assimilated into your society, they have an eternity to gain skills and acquire positions of power.  And they are actually fairly energetic and ambitious, if I am not mistaken.

And thats why I mod them and elves to ensure they die off at some point. No more shall they take over dwarf civs through their immortality.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36789 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:41 pm »

Goldthrone is likely to fall soon, my entire fort is succumbing to werehedgehog infection. I wouldn't mind so much if I had an easy way to control them and see who was infected but hey that's the FUN :D   If it falls I shall reclaim for the glory of Godom Axesweat, Queen of the Mountain homes.

I may have a tip for that, as I just recovered from one werebeing infestation, by doing nothing. I just had my normal defence strategy in place: quality cage traps practically everywhere to catch rampaging dorfs and other beings. And, of course, good quality cage traps are such a pleasure to look at while you pass them by in high traffic areas. Still, it was a bit upsetting when suddenly my dorfs started getting caged and I didn't immediately catch the reason. Good thing though that I had just got them in place...

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36790 on: August 26, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

When I put magma forges way down at the bottom, I find it helpful to put enough bedrooms for the metalworkers and furnace operators and a few dedicated haulers, plus a dining room and food/booze stockpiles, so those folk don't have to keep making the long climb up and down. Use a burrow to make sure they stay down there.

Drop shafts to take the food, booze, charcoal and ore down would probably be a good idea too. Although I haven't made a good way to avoid having stuff land on the heads of the haulers at the bottom of the shaft. A hatch in the shaft closed by a pressure plate leading to the bottom ought to work, except that pressure plates open hatches instead of closing them, so a NOT gate would be needed as well.

If you don't mind using the impulse ramp exploit, you can build a minecart helix to carry the products of your forges back up. Even without using impulse ramps and having dwarves guide the carts would be much more efficient than hand carrying everything up.

The main thing is to avoid dwarves having to keep making the long trips up and down more often than absolutely necessary.

Your wood furnaces can be up top or down at the bottom. It's just a question of whether you want to send logs or charcoal down. But if you put them up at the top, you don't have to carry food and booze for your wood burners.

Keith

A good idea would be powering a return trip for those minecarts, so they run in a loop; they get pushed down, and worked right back up. If I remember right, speed tracks actually edit the speed of the cart, and don't speed it up so you can use one to slow it down at the end.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36791 on: August 26, 2014, 03:42:27 pm »

Atempt to reclaim Bruteamused. Got the bridge hooked up this time. Started in the late winter. Spring rolls in. Goblins attack.

We only just managed to pull the lever in time. The bridge raised as they were advancing, scattering them like small green pins, but one spearman got in nonetheless. A a dog attacked it, it smacked the poor thing in the mouth with the butt of it's spear. Teeth exploded out of it. The goblin killed two, and wounded one, before it was put down.

Nesat Abanye crafted these:

It seemed to be going ok, until summer when the remaining 5 turned on each other. They have taken to killing each other. Four remain. One is very badly injured and is bed ridden. They stalk each other in the halls.  There is plenty of food and drink. There may not be enough time to see the stores run dry. Not even a year has passed and the second attempt at creating an outpost seems doomed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36792 on: August 26, 2014, 03:47:54 pm »

Which mod is that?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36793 on: August 26, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »

Which mod is that?

Something I'm working on at the moment.
I'm specifically playing fort mode to see how that interaction works out because you can't just make corpse clubs in arena. 

Those clubs are going to be next to useless - but it's pretty cool to have the idea of these weapons made out of corpse parts.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36794 on: August 26, 2014, 05:15:34 pm »

Which mod is that?

Something I'm working on at the moment.
I'm specifically playing fort mode to see how that interaction works out because you can't just make corpse clubs in arena. 

Those clubs are going to be next to useless - but it's pretty cool to have the idea of these weapons made out of corpse parts.

I'm waiting for something to be killed with a cavy teeth club right now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2451 2452 [2453] 2454 2455 ... 3839