Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2449 2450 [2451] 2452 2453 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969367 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36750 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:23 pm »

So I'm still a new player to this.  I've never gotten very far before restarting fortresses as I learn new things.  I'm about a week back playing after a long layoff and I've had a few good starts.  Still, I restarted a fortress yesterday to get into the minecarts and see how they work. 

So today I'm about 10 hours into my game and I'm attacked by goblins.  I've had two elf caravans, one dwarf and one human.  However, not a single migrant.  So my initial seven dwarfs are plodding along with no military strength.  I've got bridges out which I've figured out (wait for it....).  I pull my levers, the mechanisms do their job...and the freaking bridge flips sideways....leaving my entry wide open.  My poor dwarfs didn't stand a chance and were wiped out in minutes.  So sad.

Well, back to the NEXT fortress.

It's possible that your dinit.txt file in the new version doesn't have the [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP] tag in it, in which case it defaults as zero and you will never get any migrants, ever, because your starting seven dwarves will already outnumber the maximum population you are allowed to have (0).

Same thing happened to me when I copied over my Phoebus tileset from v.34.11 onto a fresh copy of v.40.08. I didn't have any migrants arrive at my new volcano fortress for over two years until I figured out that I needed to add in that tag. Then I started getting more dwarves.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36751 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »

A goblin killed my marksdwarf Ghandi.
Weird thing is, he was fighting a forgotten beast, not a goblin.
But it gets weirder, the goblin in question had been dead for a good 8 years  :o

What? I dont even.... ???

Did the forgotten beast have a fire-breathing attack? There's a bug where dwarves that died due to fire will instead list the last thing that attacked them instead.
It had poisonous vapours that caused anyone caught in it to start rotting away. Sounds like that bug must apply to this as well.
Glad I'm not dealing with an invisible ghost or anything :)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36752 on: August 24, 2014, 11:25:04 pm »

Glad I'm not dealing with an invisible ghost or anything :)

Well I've always wondered how the dwarfs see ghosts.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36753 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:03 am »

I finally managed to get my trained-on-keas marksdwarf to fire on the giant toad I put in the MURDAH PEN, and he emptied 30 bolts into it in one second. This gatlingdwarf bug is wonderful, but also insane.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36754 on: August 25, 2014, 02:54:45 am »

All of my dwarfs were turned into undead husks by a cloud, except for one miner. He's still pretty cheery though, and safely dug into a mountain with a supply of booze and food. I guess I've got a hermit fort now, whether I want one or not.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36755 on: August 25, 2014, 02:55:55 am »

The stockpile is finished. It doesn't even fit onscreen normally but it is GLORIOUS.

in completely unrelated news its winter and i have no industry to speak of
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36756 on: August 25, 2014, 05:48:05 am »

My airlock corridor seems jinxed somehow. It's never ready (having a raising drawbridge, connected to an appropriate lever, in both ends) when invaders come.

Fortunately, my axe squad's leader is some kind of überdorf berserker who took an arrow in the knee and still lopped the heads off of a dozen trolls and a few human and goblin bowmen. Meanwhile, some poor saps tried in vain to chop through the trolls' {(large goat leather cloak)}s with a copper battleaxe, but to no avail. Copper axes are utterly useless in combat as far as I've seen.

Marksdorfs are still at a loss with the esoteric concept of "bolts"; even their leader insists on bashing in skulls with his artifact lead crossbow. Fortunately, due to its density, lead makes for a very good bludgeon.
Instead, a random hunter actually shot a retreating troll in the head and slowed it down enough for a hammerdorf to crush its skull.

Also, goblin bowmen shoot at keas, as it turns out. One of the thieving parrots lost a leg and a wing to some {(silver arrow)}s, and the heroic bowgoblin experienced a morale boost.

Another problem with invaders is their corpses filling up the corpse/refuse stockpile...
(Can you get the dorfs to bury the dead enemies somehow?)
Oh well, once my shaft from surface to the magma sea is ready, garbage disposal should get a lot easier.

The caverns contain at least two Forgotten Beasts, the new arrival being a poisonous giant python. There's apparently also bugbat pups that grow up to bugbats, something the game feels obliged to inform me about for whatever reason. I haven't found where they are though; the only bugbat I've seen is the dead one beheaded by one of the Beasts. Fortunately, they haven't found my well that opens up to a lake in the caverns.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36757 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:37 am »

Fortunately, my axe squad's leader is some kind of überdorf berserker who took an arrow in the knee and still lopped the...

...some kind of überdorf berserker who took an arrow in the knee and ...

... took an arrow in the knee  ...
Oh you.

Goldthrone is likely to fall soon, my entire fort is succumbing to werehedgehog infection. I wouldn't mind so much if I had an easy way to control them and see who was infected but hey that's the FUN :D   If it falls I shall reclaim for the glory of Godom Axesweat, Queen of the Mountain homes.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36758 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:21 am »

so,my fort was under siege by drows.and there was this drow:an elite crossbowman shooting bloodsteel bolts through my fortifications,and killing two marksdwarves and a civilian.he was the sole reason the siege went on for long,because i could not pick them off for fear of losing half my squad,and i could not approach them,because enemy crossbows...so eventually i manage to get close with a unit of steel clad war miners.one curb stomp afterwards,i remember the marksman,and i search for him.i find him trying to flee,ready to cross a bridge with a canyon underneath.a bridge i had connected to a lever with a dwarf nearby...so i pull the lever,expecting the drow to fall to his doom and die like a disney villain.but i had made the bridge raisable rather than retractable,so the drow instead falls back,leaving behind his hand,his foot,his crossbow,and one big bloody mess.the cherry to the top of his bloody,painful cake of humiliation was that soon afterwards he stumbled to a cage trap.so now i'm torn between introducing him to my war jaguars or chaining him up and turning him into an interactive exhibit to my dining hall.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36759 on: August 25, 2014, 07:24:03 am »

Just finished genning a new region for the latest release.

I've given goblins and elves a max ages, and genned to a point were the goblins are on their 2-3rd gen while the elves 1st gen is beginning to die of old age. let's see how they cope with mortality.

Going through legends before i actually start a fort. Communist Necromancer? Communist Necromancer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:39:17 am by Lord Snow »

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36760 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:35 am »

I've given goblins and elves a max ages, and genned to a point were the goblins are on their 2-3rd gen while the elves 1st gen is beginning to die of old age. let's see how they cope with mortality.

Going through legends before i actually start a fort. Communist Necromancer? Communist Necromancer.
explain this to me more, why did you give them a max age? and how do i do that?

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36761 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:54 am »

The fort continues to work eerily well. The craftsdwarves have pumped out an artifact adamantite short sword and an artifact plum-wood crossbow. The trap fields are in place and have stopped two massive undead sieges without casualty. The endless vaults of stored caged undead have been replaced by a minimum-wage lever-pulling dorf and a DAS. The melee squad is adamantite- and steel-clad to a man.

Cherry on top? Elf-slaughter incoming. The elves just sent an ambassador to whine about the trees we've been battling back from the ramparts of the aboveground fortifications. Or maybe they don't like my pavements up there.

I respected their wishes by clearcutting a firing lane for the archer towers.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36762 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:05 am »

explain this to me more, why did you give them a max age? and how do i do that?

Might want to check the creature tags wiki page to make sure I don't get this wrong, but you add it by putting the [MAXAGE:minage:maxage] into their creature RAWs.

Minage being the age at which the creature starts having a chance to die of old age each season, maxage being as old as they can get.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36763 on: August 25, 2014, 12:12:58 pm »

I designated 15 trees to be cut for a massive bed production order to give everydwarf their own rooms, to improve happiness. One of the woodcutter had a log fall into his arm, and his arm broke. I didn't have a hospital set up yet, so he was dragged into the dorms. He needed immediate sutures at least to prevent the infection that later happened, but no, after weeks the doctors were still partying. Apparently, docters won't do anything without a centralized hospital. He got infected, and because it was winter and all water was frozen, he finally died of dehydration, although he was also dying of pain, hunger(to a lesser extent), and infection. And you know what the most fun thing was? He was married, had 8 children, and I-dont-know-how-much friends he had, like 1/4th of the whole fortress. The rest was either "Friendly terms" or the miners who were constantly on duty, unable to make friends.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36764 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:34 pm »

Less than a year into my fortress, my strength is broken. I had just got a bunch of stuff in place, everything seemed to be going well, and I'd finally managed to get the mechanisms together to link to my bridge and give me a bit of safety.

A vile force of darkness arrives. 11 of them. Might as well have been the one Maceman. All 17 of my citizens hastily scrambled. This guy is not bothered, just tears right through them. Smashes the legs and then shatters the skull. There wasn't even any of the usual back and forth and dancing around - they didn't have a chance. He killed twelve of them before collapsing from exhaustion in the hall next to the corpse pile and having his skull ripped open by a farmer.

The farmer died seconds later when a pike went through his face. 
Pages: 1 ... 2449 2450 [2451] 2452 2453 ... 3839