Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2448 2449 [2450] 2451 2452 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965761 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36735 on: August 24, 2014, 11:34:21 am »

A goblin killed my marksdwarf Ghandi.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Weird thing is, he was fighting a forgotten beast, not a goblin.
But it gets weirder, the goblin in question had been dead for a good 8 years  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What? I dont even.... ???
The goblin must've fired a crossbow bolt into the ceiling, then it fell down 8 years later and killed Ghandi

My first siege just left after wandering around in the desert for three minutes... I guess the buzzards, ravens and scattered clothes in the middle of the desert made them so paranoid, that the horses I left in a field outside the fortress scared them all away before they even got close enough for my military to start shooting...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36736 on: August 24, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

But it gets weirder, the goblin in question had been dead for a good 8 years  :o

Did the forgotten beast have a fire-breathing attack? There's a bug where dwarves that died due to fire will instead list the last thing that attacked them instead.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36737 on: August 24, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

Quattuordecaplets have hatched.

In hindsight, letting crundles claim nest boxes might not have been such a good idea after all.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36738 on: August 24, 2014, 02:41:10 pm »

Did the forgotten beast have a fire-breathing attack? There's a bug where dwarves that died due to fire will instead list the last thing that attacked them instead.
If I remember rightly bleeding deaths are attributed to the last thing to attack them, and being on fire causes you to die by bleeding.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #36739 on: August 24, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #36740 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »

Huge migrant wave in the second year of my fort. (Not been playing DF enough recently. Dutrius cancels Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Younger Brother.)

I'm at 87 Dwarves. About 15 children. Two squads of marksdwarves (formerly engravers and peasants) for a military. A mayor gets elected.

So I dig out luxurious chambers for Urist McMayor, with the bedroom including the Legendary Tetrahedrite Coffer made as my second possession. Mayor promptly bans the export of certain goods.

At this point my export economy consists of mugs. Guess what Urist McMayor forbade?

That's right, Animal Traps! I did not even have any traps to export. Urist McMayor keeps mandating the production of spears. Every mandate is for three spears. Happily, McMayor is happy with wooden training spears. Good thing there are logs lying everywhere. I know what I'm giving to the next elven caravan...  8)

Got a fifth possession... What in the name of Armok keeps possessing my dwarves? It's an apricot wood splint! It's useless at the moment. It doesn't even have an interesting description. Three useless artefacts in a row!

EDIT:

So, the Giantess was attacking a Wild Boar with a caged drake? That's just plain cool.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:04:53 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36741 on: August 24, 2014, 05:05:12 pm »

I'm trying to envision this, but I can't make out how big the cage is supposed to be. Help anyone?

Quick update on The Joyful Land of Ghouls,
I was able to handle the noxious parrot. And by handle I mean wall off the farm before it arrived.
I don't know what the syndrome does yet, and I plan to turn my defunct silk farm into a forgotten beast shooting range.
Time to make crossbows !

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36742 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »

I'm trying to envision this, but I can't make out how big the cage is supposed to be. Help anyone?

Big enough to hold a duck.

I have been doing pretty much nothing but trying to level a single hill. But it's huge, and it seems that mass channel designations slow the game down. Or it may just be all the miners trying to pathfind around the map.

Edit: "The world has passed into the Age of Finmeadow"

Not quite sure who Finmeadow is, but I'm certain that I do not want to meet them. It was the age of the dragon and the titan before, and I know the dragon is dead, so the titan must have done something noteworthy. Or the world may have just been slow to update the age.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:45:57 pm by BlackFlyme »

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36743 on: August 24, 2014, 05:44:46 pm »

So I'm still a new player to this.  I've never gotten very far before restarting fortresses as I learn new things.  I'm about a week back playing after a long layoff and I've had a few good starts.  Still, I restarted a fortress yesterday to get into the minecarts and see how they work. 

So today I'm about 10 hours into my game and I'm attacked by goblins.  I've had two elf caravans, one dwarf and one human.  However, not a single migrant.  So my initial seven dwarfs are plodding along with no military strength.  I've got bridges out which I've figured out (wait for it....).  I pull my levers, the mechanisms do their job...and the freaking bridge flips sideways....leaving my entry wide open.  My poor dwarfs didn't stand a chance and were wiped out in minutes.  So sad.

Well, back to the NEXT fortress.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36744 on: August 24, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »

But then how can it get lodged firmly in a boar's chest?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36745 on: August 24, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »

Simple: the giantess struck the boar with one of the cage's corners. The chest caved in, and the now-exposed ribs got tangled with the cage. Similar thing when it hit the head, only with skull shards.  :P  To be more serious though, blunt attacks can occasionally get stuck in opponents, but not anywhere near as often as edged attacks.

No idea why the hand thinks it is still attached to the body though.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36746 on: August 24, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »

Just talked with the dwarven outpost liaison, apparently a human who grew up in goblin sunday school has been on a rampage through the land lately, driving hundreds from their homes and probably leaving a trail of corpses and wounded in his wake.

Cloth, splints, thread, crutches, and armor have jumped in value as well. I wonder if they're related.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36747 on: August 24, 2014, 06:52:40 pm »

No idea why the hand thinks it is still attached to the body though.
Hahah this game is great.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36748 on: August 24, 2014, 07:33:05 pm »

I have discovered three miners is not enough if you want to center a fort around the (nonquantum) stockpile to end all stockpiles.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36749 on: August 24, 2014, 08:07:54 pm »

Simple: the giantess struck the boar with one of the cage's corners. The chest caved in, and the now-exposed ribs got tangled with the cage. Similar thing when it hit the head, only with skull shards.
So it works like a duck powered katamari ball? Now it makes sense. Thanks for helping me visualize it  :)

Pages: 1 ... 2448 2449 [2450] 2451 2452 ... 3838