Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2447 2448 [2449] 2450 2451 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965766 times)

Sylterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36720 on: August 23, 2014, 12:58:27 pm »

A kobold ambusher (alone and a wrestler) snuck into my fort, from an unsecured entrance. The kobold promptly ran from everything, causing tons of cancellation spam until my military finally managed to corner and kill the kobold.

Also, my fort is apparently a day care as 45% of dwarves are children/babies. :(

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36721 on: August 23, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »

Got a problem where wood is still being used for workshops, but my dwarves refuse to stockpile it.  Its all currently littered about the topside.  Why, and how to fix?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36722 on: August 23, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »

Fought our first dragon, and elevated the steel spear that killed it to artifact status.
Watched dragon flame breath consume an entire forest.
Found out that if a dwarf is hit by fire breath he might explode, injuring other dwarves with his boiling blood.
Hoping to catch goblins to toss into my vampire death arena, with the ultimate goal of making a vampire blood well to convert the entire fortress.
An engraver just made a masterpiece of Gerthu Axehoves the Invisible Beast Minotaur.  You have to be pretty amazing to carve an image of an invisible monster...

So much fun stuff going on :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:24:28 pm by Jigowah »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36723 on: August 23, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »

Got a problem where wood is still being used for workshops, but my dwarves refuse to stockpile it.  Its all currently littered about the topside.  Why, and how to fix?
Did you check the (o)rders screen and make sure it is set to Gather Wood ?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36724 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »

Just lost a fortress to the first siege because I hadn't prepared my military enough (read: at all). Reclaimed it and apparently the goblins decided to take all the items and scatter them around the map, then freed and left behind the dwarf who went berserk while in jail. Killed the berserk dwarf and currently trying to get industry moving again, this time I'll have a militia ready by the next siege.

I wonder if the goblins actually want anything or if they just take joy in killing and destruction... you know, like dwarves do...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36725 on: August 23, 2014, 05:00:23 pm »

Did you check the (o)rders screen and make sure it is set to Gather Wood ?
Fair enough.  My orders were all kinds of wonky.  Had my dwarves throwing out horns and auto-looming too.
--- --- ---

So he dead attacked, and for reasons I still have a door as my main barrier.  A kobold with the mischievous tag (not that I ever saw him) opened said door. I suicided a new military recruit to reclose it, and the power of waterfalls made it okay.  I ask myself, now though, was it worth it?  Or would gathering my still relatively strong military to fight off the conga line have been better?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36726 on: August 23, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »

Had a werelizard attack, where it spawned right next to my fresh migrant wave. After 10 severed body parts and 6 injured dwarves it finally collapsed and died. After quarantining said dwarves I found out 2 were actually infected while the rest were innocent, unfortunately I found this out during the full moon. Out of the 4 innocents, 2 survived. At least now I have a surefire limb replacement hospital!

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36727 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »

Just started a fort with 40.09, after having been away from the game long enough to have missed when we got the new update this summer.

The fort is in its first year, just setting up really. In fact when the dwarf caravan came I was so not ready for it. Managed to scrape together enough wood craft stuff to get one barrel of beer in trade. That's all. After that I hit paydirt when my miners' probe shaft ran into kaolinite. Next year we'll be able to splurge a little! Also, coal, though with all the wood I've got the coal is much less necessary than it used to be.

I'm on a heavily forested biome, mostly plums and apple trees. I've had to do some logging just to get enough space to begin to fortify where I'm dug in. And I'll have to do quite a bit more, and perhaps pave a road because the caravan couldn't even get their wagons to the depot, thanks to the many trees.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36728 on: August 23, 2014, 09:30:35 pm »

I've started so many new forts recently. I barely get past the first year and another update is published.

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36729 on: August 23, 2014, 09:59:57 pm »

I think I just caused every nethercap in and around my fort to spontaneously combust.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:01:44 pm by InsaneRationalist »
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36730 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »

Started a "fort"; what it really is meant to be is an early dwarf encampent, as I'm doing a cavedwarf/whathaveyou challenge; no picks, no mining. In short, Elfdwarves. Only much, much less respect for nature. Embarked in a Sinister biome; for some reason, my bulls have all gone opposed to life, and I have no clue why. The only possible explanation is that it's the dwarf blood that's snowing, but I thought only clouds could turn things into zombies/whathaveyou. Oh well. No matter, as long as the livestock fights among themselves they can do whatever they bloody want.

Wait, nevermind. They just gored my dwarves to death. Well, note to self: Evil biome = not a good place at all for doing a challenge like this. At least, not at my skill level.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36731 on: August 23, 2014, 11:32:39 pm »

Started a "fort"; what it really is meant to be is an early dwarf encampent, as I'm doing a cavedwarf/whathaveyou challenge; no picks, no mining. In short, Elfdwarves. Only much, much less respect for nature. Embarked in a Sinister biome; for some reason, my bulls have all gone opposed to life, and I have no clue why. The only possible explanation is that it's the dwarf blood that's snowing, but I thought only clouds could turn things into zombies/whathaveyou. Oh well. No matter, as long as the livestock fights among themselves they can do whatever they bloody want.

Wait, nevermind. They just gored my dwarves to death. Well, note to self: Evil biome = not a good place at all for doing a challenge like this. At least, not at my skill level.

If you're playing Masterwork DF, they have plants in evil biomes that cause that tag to be added to any grazers who eat the evil plants after only a couple months.

If you aren't playing MDF, then it was probably a cloud or dust or rain or whatever.  A rain that causes Opposed to Life is new to me but I suppose it's possible.  Is it temporary, as in the [CRAZED] tag, or permanent?
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36732 on: August 23, 2014, 11:46:48 pm »

If you're playing Masterwork DF, they have plants in evil biomes that cause that tag to be added to any grazers who eat the evil plants after only a couple months.

If you aren't playing MDF, then it was probably a cloud or dust or rain or whatever.  A rain that causes Opposed to Life is new to me but I suppose it's possible.  Is it temporary, as in the [CRAZED] tag, or permanent?

Oh, the first one must be it. Strange thing is, it happened almost 5 days after I arrived. Anyways, thanks for helping with that, was stuck pondering what happened.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36733 on: August 24, 2014, 08:29:40 am »

It works! Soune Nifeximage is the first to test my experiments, and has successfully created:

http://imgur.com/Bu6ZMtN

(Link because the img tags aren't working...?)

Despite how useless it is, I'm very pleased. I'm just waiting to see if he'll make one out of rotting flesh. There is literally nothing stopping him.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:33:11 am by WordsandChaos »

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36734 on: August 24, 2014, 10:05:21 am »

A goblin killed my marksdwarf Ghandi.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Weird thing is, he was fighting a forgotten beast, not a goblin.
But it gets weirder, the goblin in question had been dead for a good 8 years  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What? I dont even.... ???
Pages: 1 ... 2447 2448 [2449] 2450 2451 ... 3838