Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2442 2443 [2444] 2445 2446 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962365 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36645 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »

Say, how do you focus that onto certain items? Whenever I've done it, it's been far too universal for any targeted use.

This game actually has some neat features for that: create a stockpile that accepts only the armor with a certain material, then g)ive to the jeweler shop.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36646 on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:54 am »

My second wave of migrants and I'm already in the third year, those necro sieges...
This poor lass has not had a good first day:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36647 on: August 20, 2014, 06:43:24 am »

Just sent my squad to kill more random animals, it's good for them to get some practical practice in - all that running and wrestling.

Anyway, my dwarves on the battlements, right? And he has to go north, from the north-east corner.

So he jumps over the battlements and I think, "Godammit, another bug." *prepares to build stairs to rescue him*.

Then he disappears. Cack. He must have fell and killed himself. Nope. He's clinging on a level down. And again, and again. Then he climbs out of the channel on the other side.

SINCE WHEN COULD PEOPLE CLIMB? MY DEFENCES ARE RUINED.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36648 on: August 20, 2014, 06:48:07 am »

Just sent my squad to kill more random animals, it's good for them to get some practical practice in - all that running and wrestling.

Anyway, my dwarves on the battlements, right? And he has to go north, from the north-east corner.

So he jumps over the battlements and I think, "Godammit, another bug." *prepares to build stairs to rescue him*.

Then he disappears. Cack. He must have fell and killed himself. Nope. He's clinging on a level down. And again, and again. Then he climbs out of the channel on the other side.

SINCE WHEN COULD PEOPLE CLIMB? MY DEFENCES ARE RUINED.
since the new update, it was one of the features added to the game. build your walls out of stone blocks and the creatures can't climb them as well.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36649 on: August 20, 2014, 07:17:38 am »

So, after I just had my most major export (For some reason, the last 3 years haven't had any exports... I guess the caravans never made it back to the mountainhome.) Export 8 --> 25k.

I just got a visit from an Ettin... I told the civ to get underground, my marksmen on the walls, somebody to pull the lever to close the gate.

Close the gate, guys.

Seriously, guys, close the gate.

GUYS.

As the Ettin rolled right into my courtyard, I had a forefinger-to-lips moment and watched in horror... As my marksmen came charging out of the entrance into the courtyard with their machine crossbows.

And after all that...

Edit;
Edit2;

So, is there anything I can actually do with the Ettin corpse?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:01:02 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36650 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:37 am »

New event: Declaring War on the Elves

An elven caravan just arrived... Time to get the men on the walls and lock the gate.

A pool of Dwarven Ale.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36651 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:05 am »

My moody dwarves seem to be hinting me to start a military. My last two artefacts were armor stands, and now I got this recursive weapon rack:
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36652 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:24 am »

Trained a bunch of boars. One of them reverted to wild state. Boar started a fight, got killed, dwarves got confused and started killing each other. Goodbye fort.
()==[:::::::::::::>

The Riddled Basement

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #36653 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:03 am »

Had a beautiful 8yr old fort on a volcano embark surrounded by goblin pits (yay!), complete with volcano bridges, dining room with windows to see the arena and all male dwarves in the millitary. However, after i breached C1 the framerate went from 40ish to <10. Fort is now unplayable, retired. Started a new fort, site has all kinds of awesome, under the aquifer, and nobody will try to dig out the oversized plug because two idiot miners drowned themselves unnecesary while channeling, retired.
Now I'm just gonna kill some elves in a region where im at war with em. YAY! :)

Also, first post on the forum :)
The riddled basement is the name of my civ in the abovementioned world, and the only settelments are mine, the civ died out in year 171 and it is now 614.
So,.... Hi fellow sociopaths :)
-- Make a dining room around the 25z pit floor and tada, easy tragedy training --

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36654 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:16 am »

Got a nice little fort up and running in 40.09. Finally had enough of a military to actually try and fight sieges, as opposed to slamming the gates and waiting for them to go away.

I must say, it certainly feels as if in this version, if the enemy siege can't path into the fort, they give up and go away fairly quickly, which is minimally disruptive to the fort.

I had a trap corridor with cage traps up, to winnow out incoming sieges until my 2 squads can snipe and hammer them at leisure. The next siege promptly arrives in winter....  gets bogged down in the trapped corridor... and turned into goblin paste by one of their own, who was apparently a weremonkey. Said weremonkey gobbo then walks into a cage trap. I'm so amused at this point, I turn the squads loose with mop up instructions, and have my haulers set up the were monkey/goblin cage in the main meeting area. I like to imagine the fort idlers and children gather to laugh, point, and poke, especially when the transformation occurs....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36655 on: August 20, 2014, 09:58:45 am »

Apparently Toady was there, heh. Or should I say HeH.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36656 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:41 am »

In a stunning political upset, a 12 year old has become mayor of my ocean fortress.   :D  Also, there may be a serial killer pushing dwarfs off the narrow railings above the ocean and somehow leaving blood everywhere.  Either that or my dwarves are too drunk and just falling off.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36657 on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:22 am »

The 61-zombie siege is over, with a few dozen caged and introduced to the Vaults of Moaning Dead and the rest scattered as a really, really ridiculous number of body-parts all over my weapon traps.

I love the smell of miasma in the morning. It smells like victory.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36658 on: August 20, 2014, 12:05:48 pm »

It's Autumn of the fourth year at "Skydoor", and the recent Goblin siege finally gave us a chance to test the dodge trap entrance the fort is named for. Apparently I over estimated the dodge ability of our enemy, as the high quality silver War Hammers used in the 8 traps were a little to effective. Of the Trolls that came into the fort only one actually went down the pit, and that was only because one of our crazy Axe Lords seemed to forget how deep it was and brought the Troll down with him. Surprisingly after a 23~ lvl fall onto a platinum bar floor they both survived, and the Fortress Guard had to finish the Troll.

Now the doctors are working on Ducim "Paperhail" Monomilun, with his broken upper spine and basically shattered right arm, the only serious injury our military has gotten and not even to an actual enemy.

The hospital hasn't been underused though. Somehow the three children of the fort are continuously throwing themselves to the floor or against a wall so hard that they break something. I wasn't expecting to deal with that until after the "Day Care" center was done.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36659 on: August 20, 2014, 12:35:07 pm »

Werellama attack one year in.
Killed off my fledgeling militia and a bunch of my farmers, and the vigilante hunters and war dogs only showed up after he turned back into a human. Though when that happened, there was a veritable hail of bolts and he became dead.

Time to build more coffins...

EDIT: Some really popular dwarves dead too. The militia commander who died had a good few friends (also was pretty good at fighting. Don't remember the exact level but managed to effortlessly parry a good few pages of attacks before a lucky punch slipped through), and now the corpses in the courtyard are causing some slow-down with traffic flow in and out of the fort.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:22:13 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2442 2443 [2444] 2445 2446 ... 3838