Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2440 2441 [2442] 2443 2444 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965880 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36615 on: August 18, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »

The first semi-megabeast arrived at my fort, a minotaur. I wasn't prepared for his arrival yet so I sealed everybody inside...and then watched as a Bushmaster killed it in eight pages of combat text.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36616 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

Bushmasters are venomous. Fatally so. Effects include extreme pain to the localized area, later full-body pain, unconsciousness, bleeding of the bitten bodypart, and complete paralysis. Which results in suffocation. Don't fuck with bushmasters.

[edit]

In my own fort news, this fortress doesn't appear to have any armor-grade metal resources. I might just have to deal with naked dorfs running around with wooden shields and silver warhammers. Which would be terrifying, but not especially effective.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:22:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36617 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »

Bushmasters are venomous. Fatally so. Effects include extreme pain to the localized area, later full-body pain, unconsciousness, bleeding of the bitten bodypart, and complete paralysis. Which results in suffocation. Weaponize bushmasters.

FTFY

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36618 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »

My entire fortress of 20 dwarves is trying to combat some undead yak hair and are unable to kill it, this could possibly destroy my fortress on a location i have spent a lot of time attempting to make a good start only to have something as stupid as an unkillable piece of hair ruin it. How can i kill it or what cheat can i use to destroy it. Surely a kick or punch would destroy the hair but this thing must be made of adamantine because every blow glances off. Some of my dwarves are already legendary fighters and dodgers just trying to fight it.
I had a similar problem with an undead water buffalo head hair, it was so small that crossbow bolts flew right through it and apparently wasn't substantial enough to be struck by melee. It just kept bashing itself against my dwarves' armor until it got stuck in a cage trap

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36619 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:17 am »

My planter gathering cavern plants had his eyes eaten out by a Hungry Head. Creepy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36620 on: August 19, 2014, 03:49:21 am »

Okay wow. That could not be a scarier image if the game tried.

I mean, the planter returns the favor by grabbing the head's own eye

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36621 on: August 19, 2014, 04:19:18 am »

No not its eye, its eye tooth.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36622 on: August 19, 2014, 09:15:58 am »

The fort is in lockdown. After an initial few 2-zombie scouting raids, the necromancer arrived with 61 zombies, all armed and armored. One of the marksdwarves immediately put a bolt through the necromancer's brainpan, but that leaves 61 shambling targets. The crew has shot hundreds of bolts, with the sum total effect of severing a single zombie toe and raising all their archery skills to expert. So now they're on break while I build a secondary 100-cage-trap zombie packaging facility.

More dead for the Vaults of Hazardous Materials Storage.

edit: Yes, discipline also increased markedly for the archers.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36623 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:37 am »

Getting more proficient with each fort, in incorporating magma and water plumbing into my design doctrines.
This map made me make a 40 z-level pumpstack :P
My levers are safely locked in behind a wall, only opened when I actually need to pull them. Nothing is more infuriating than having a tantruming dwarf destroy your crucial drainage or access levers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:41:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36624 on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:15 am »

The Forgotten Beast Cethothashufipú Rithesa Ayanu, a towering feathered shrew with two curving horns, is wreaking havoc in the caverns (fortunately sealed off from my fortress).  It already bashed in the head of Amug, a giant lobster that puffed poison gas. Cethothashufipú was infected with Acute Blistered Toes Syndrome in retaliation, but recovered soon enough. Just now, it tore a bugbat's head off.

Also, goblins and their human recruits are paying Bloodmachine another visit. Let's see if they try to attack in earnest this time; the previous invasion immediately fled, leaving only two very confused humans behind. [edit]Ah. This time, they also brought trolls.[/edi]

The fight started well enough, with my axdorf captain decapitating a bunch of trolls. Unfortunately, it turns out my defensive trap corridor was fatally flawed, e.g. the inner drawbridge was of the "retracts" type instead of "raises W". Hilarity Ensued™. Fortunately, most of the goblins were amateurs, the only one inflicting any significant damage being a bowman. They were quickly cut down or driven away. Now, my soldiers are having a boxing practice with an unconscious troll...

For some reason, my marksdwarves still aren't using any bolts.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:42:12 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36625 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

Don't you just love that feeling you get when you first test your new trap system and it works flawlessly?

So basically Windpassions has been getting regular goblin sieges for about three years now. The problem I've been having is the little bug where the leader of one of the squads would wander into my weapon trap array and then the rest would just stand around not sure what to do. Eventually I either have to find a way to coax them into the traps or wait for them to get bored and go home.

I actually found a way to use this to my advantage. Instead of coaxing them into my traps I put a line of vertical spikes before the weapon traps and linked them all to a lever. Now when the goblin leader gets killed I set the lever to pull on repeat and the other goblins get skewered. It's very satisfying to watch.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36626 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »

The latest fort I reclaimed from the worldgen is made of native platinum blocks... No wonder it failed, the expedition leader must have had some seriously warped priorities.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #36627 on: August 19, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »

One of the dwarves that migrated to my fort is "a former prisoner of the Feral Midnight." It was only upon reading that that I realized that this dwarf was one of the children rescued by my adventurer before he died and I started this fort. He even has my now-deceased adventurer and some of the other children I rescued in his relationship screen.

Also, interestingly enough, he dreams of ruling the world.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #36628 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

First year of a new fort, the outpost liaison shows up, and.. he's a goblin. He gives the latest news and.. it's literally a whole page of "site conquered by Goblin Group X" messages. It would appear the war is not going well.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36629 on: August 19, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »

1. I've just had my first bit of outside-of-fort gossip come through!

2. My defences are nearly ready...

3. My military training is going well.

4. My metalworks are starting to come along, too.

Any tips how to urge on an invasion/siege? My marksdwarves could do with the practice.

Edit;
What  tileset is that? D:
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 2440 2441 [2442] 2443 2444 ... 3838