Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2434 2435 [2436] 2437 2438 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120195 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36525 on: August 13, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

I just found out how important traffic zones are. I set up ONE and it caused a 50% FPS increase. It'll probably increase more when I finish the moat

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36526 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:20 pm »

I just found out how important traffic zones are. I set up ONE and it caused a 50% FPS increase. It'll probably increase more when I finish the moat

Maybe I should do that more often now...
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36527 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »

Got a 3rd siege, still the same few goblins that already came then ran away the 2 first time, wow they're really stupid.
This time i decided to open fully my fort entrance and not put any marksdwarves above, behind the fortifications and wait for the battle to take place inside my walls so at least the goblins wouldn't have time to run away like the 2 first times and we would have finally a real battle (even if the numbers were highly on my side) to make a modicum of challenge.

My melee squad rushed when the 1st goblin moved through my gate, supported by the marksdwarves squad.

In the melee and rain of bolts, all the goblins were annihilated, 7 or 8 goblin corpses (wow what an army it was)
Unfortunately 4 of the melee squads dwarves were dead.

Well, not too bad as i have still plenty of replacement.
But it wasn't counting with the dwarves now coming out of the underground fortress to pick up all the loot left behind.
The view of all the corpse was enough to send all those "happy" dwarves into a tantrum spiral.
In the middle of clothings flying all other the surface of my fort, several dwarves fell dead, probably from the many fist fight i was seeing in the reports.

After a while they calmed down, but now instead of 4 dwarves to bury, that's 7 (i had to put down 1 of them that went berzerk too).

At least i'm happy this happened on the surface, not inside my underground, there was a lot they could have destroyed in there.
On the surface they still managed to destroy the trade depot.

the post battle/tantrum place, with blood all over it :

edit : damn, the calmed down dwarves are going again at throwing tantrum, they already destroyed 2 of my workshops underground :/
well, i guess the exposed dead dwarves while i complete the batch of coffin does not help making them sane.

edit 2 : 3 more dwarves to bury, going berserk and getting killed by berserk.
At that pace i'm getting more dwarves corpses than i can manufacture coffins with the slow stone worker (that is the only one with better skill than dabbling in it)

edit 3 : at least 10 more dwarves dead, several by dehydratation (they seem to have been tantruming non stop even forgetting to drink) and several berserk i had to put down.
I'm really getting difficulty to produce enough coffin fast, the corpse stockpile is getting filled faster than my stone guy can work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:46:23 pm by Robsoie »

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36528 on: August 13, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

Maybe I should do that more often now...

Well, they were trying to decide "do I swim through the moat or cross the bridge or go around where the moat hasn't been dug yet" and it was really slowing stuff down

TurkishCapybara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36529 on: August 13, 2014, 07:29:33 pm »

My fort of Deepwork is being attacked by a philosophical giant:

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36530 on: August 13, 2014, 07:52:39 pm »

for the 40.08 release, I decided to embark on an aquifer for the first time ever. I've read up on the double slit method but still don't fully understand it.

This post is actually my second time attempting to crack the aquifer. the first time I tried to cave in through it but I stupidly dug out the tiles above the aquifer so when it caved in it didn't destroy it. to add insult to injury, all of my miner drowned during the chaos.

hopefully this time will be different.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36531 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »

While stationing my militia to dispose of a corpse, I notice a moody crafty dwarf run by.
Cool ! They've lived long enough to bring out their creativity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And wouldn't you know it. The zombie baby is the last to ghoul to cristen my stockpile !!
Let's see what I can spot ... about a dozen zombie dwarves, a zombie dwarf were-elk, the related zombie were-elf,
four zombie cavys, the zombie baby, a zombie alpaca (dropped onto one of the zombie cavys), a non-animating web-blob,
a complete zombie set of Toad Head and UpperTorso and LowerTorso, and an zombie albatross head.

I'm so proud of the dwarves. The only way I can think to thank them is by building more mist generators and bedrooms.
So I start some controlled flooding of the generator room in hopes of growing more fungus.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36532 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:16 pm »

While I personally LOVE your setup for containing zombies, i.e. individual cells holding them all in...

Don't you think you are just BEGGING for fun?  One slip up, one tiny little mistake, and you put a building destroyer corpse in there.  It resurrects, smashes its own door, smashes every other door in there, and then the zombie apocalypse begins.

Tell me you've got some sort of plan for a containment breach, Red Queen of Resident Evil-style.  I hear magma actually kills zombies now, that's an idea.

"Quick Urist, pull the lever!  The baby has escaped and he's crawling this way with death on his wee mind!"
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36533 on: August 13, 2014, 10:18:29 pm »

Building destroyers can't break things they're adjacent to. That's why the Toad Thorax Zombie and the Albatross Head Zombie and the One Tusked Troll Head Zombie haven't escaped yet. So ironically, the zombie stockpile is one of the safer places in the fort, because there are no uncontained threats (unlike the sheep and llama pastures...)

"Quick Urist, pull the lever!  The baby has escaped and he's crawling this way with death on his wee mind!"

This is acceptable as long as the baby has been decontaminated.
And I'm not worried about zombie babies so much as the 3 Dwarf Elite Wrestler evil dust husks on the surface ...

Trying to think of some screenshot or image to visualize those guys, but I'm drawing a blank :(

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36534 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:21 pm »

I set up the double slit according to the wiki, but I couldn't build walls due to dangerous terrain. It keeps getting suspended every time I try to build there.

I've also tried the cave-in method, which worked to an extent. but when I channeled the aquifer tile it filled with water again.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36535 on: August 13, 2014, 10:52:15 pm »

You have to keep pumping and keep un-cancelling. It will go Construction Started then Partially Constructed then Construction Nearly Complete ...
Frustrating, yes. That's why some people don't like it. But if you build a meeting hall next to the dig site and budget an hour of your time to the game, you can get through it :)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36536 on: August 14, 2014, 12:00:02 am »

Just started a new fort in a forest, first fort in the new version... didn't know there were multi tile trees... after fumbling around, I noticed one of my horses got stuck in a tree somehow

The best explanation I've come up with is that it was standing on the sapling when it became a large tree, and got lifted into the branches...

Currently trying to figure out the new vegetables... also I may have accidentally drowned my first trader trying to fill my cistern, but I'm currently in the process of taming the river, so it should work out fine

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36537 on: August 14, 2014, 12:32:13 am »

So hey, invasions were fixed.

Autumn of third year. Just got my first Caravan, because I'm been under a Goblin siege during every previous opportunity for one. Currently have 11 Dwarves, because migrant waves have also been blocked.

What does the liaison have to say to me? An entire page of various elements of my civ being conquered by Goblins. Apparently my people are under attack on all fronts.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36538 on: August 14, 2014, 01:41:06 am »

What am I doing? Nuthin', just workin' the 'sploits.

Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36539 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:51 am »

What am I doing? Nuthin', just workin' the 'sploits.

Hey, what's the technique to split the stacks that you use?  I've never found a good method.
Pages: 1 ... 2434 2435 [2436] 2437 2438 ... 3842