Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2430 2431 [2432] 2433 2434 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120747 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36465 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:41 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Followed shortly by.

So and so the Werepanda has arrived! (I was not really paying attendtion).

Shortly after that.

Siege lifted!

While I was busy making sure everyone was safe and sound one of the siege members turns out to be a WarePanda and kills the rest of the besieging party, then dies from the injuries. Easiest siege ever.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36466 on: August 10, 2014, 10:05:21 pm »

I wish there was a "stay the fuck out of the caverns and away from the GCS and blind cave ogres" order that didn't require a huge burrow over the whole surface and the other mining area.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36467 on: August 10, 2014, 10:54:45 pm »

@ Murdoc:  It's called "Don't breech the caverns".  If you don't want dwarves in them, don't give them access.

For me:

The elf liaison is grumbling at me, insulting my height and warning me that axes are best if neither made from nor used on trees     :)

//Torrenal

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36468 on: August 10, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Followed shortly by.

So and so the Werepanda has arrived! (I was not really paying attendtion).

Shortly after that.

Siege lifted!

While I was busy making sure everyone was safe and sound one of the siege members turns out to be a WerePanda and kills the rest of the besieging party, then dies from the injuries. Easiest siege ever.

They never saw it coming. Also I don't see pandas as that much of a threat other than if you angered a large group of them. 
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36469 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59:54 pm »

Urist McOnlymason cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Webbed.

Urist McVeryhelpful cancels Recover Wounded: Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider.
Urist McPotashmaker cancels Give Water: Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider.
repeat ad nauseam

THe mason became a legendary fighter and wrestler before death, tho.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36470 on: August 11, 2014, 12:06:40 am »

With the migration from 40.06 to 40.07, Shotfists got another bandit siege. This time it was 8 elves and two goblins. Still woefully underprepared and underequipped, the 3 miners of the miner militia and 3 unskilled recruits armed with goblinite assembled to at least try and scare off the bandits.

The fight went ok for a bit, then Zefon the bravehearted savior of Shotfists got stabbed in the foot by a goblin and was quickly slain. Everyone got terrified and curled up in balls. Couple more dwarves got injured, but thankfully the bandits decided to bugger off then. Now there's just several dwarves injured with no way to treat them, and lots of dwarves are unhappy.

I'm bummed that Zefon died. Rest in peace you majestic miner badass you. ;^;7
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36471 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:45 am »

Murdoc, I have one question. Did the GCS die? That is all.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36472 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:13 am »

Murdoc, I have one question. Did the GCS die? That is all.

Nope. He managed to bust open a few body parts but in my experience a GCS does not care about what would be a lethal wound irl. I'm planning on baiting the bugger into my fort using a wooden door and capturing him.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36473 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:29 am »

Excavation of megafortress mark 2 is proceeding nicely, the main chamber's top level is completely done, and is being smoothed before I dig down. In the process though, I noticed an odd bug. It seems that tiles under trees that should be marked as underground are called light, aboveground and outside. Of course I intend to exploit this to the best of my ability, but has anyone else seen this happen before?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36474 on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:52 am »

I am disappointed that I can't grow watermelons in my desert fort. The UI helpfully indicates that strawberries would be more suitable.

The map has a few scattered alluvial clusters of native gold in the sandstone just under the surface. Test excavation suggests plenty of galena and tetrahedrite, with some sphalerite and native silver much deeper. Also lots of "You have struck microcline!".

Operation: Burn ALL the trees! (into charcoal) shall commence. I might replace a few with brass/green glass "tree" mockeries.

Not sure if I want to build like steampunk-brass, art deco brass, or green glass emerald city.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #36475 on: August 11, 2014, 02:56:47 am »

While waiting for 0.40.07 and its impressive new burrow & job features, I was building out the tombs in anticipation of future invasions. I exhumed my dead from their temporary graves and moved them into masterwork coffins in the first wing of the new facility. Poor Solon Agathel the warrior-king got moved twice, but he's finally in the tomb he deserves.

Spoiler: Mortuary complex (click to show/hide)

Under normal conditions the complex will be empty as -- well -- a tomb, but it's set up to handle mass casualties, civil unrest and limited necromancy. As it stands, I can move a permanent, burrowed undertaker crew in on short notice, and I've built up supplies so that they can concentrate on getting dead dwarves buried or slabbed. Dwarves from outside just need to bring their dead to the transfer area.

Although it's entirely possible I'll never get around to it, I'm planning to construct a minecart transfer + wash system that will let me isolate the mortuary complex from the outside and prevent its staff from being sickened by syndromes.

Once I can spare some dwarves, I'll probably assign a permanent undertaker, but at the moment I don't have enough. I've only got 72, including eight children, 25 full-time soldiers and 2 draft-deferred dwarves. Send more fisherdwarves! I will mold them into heartless killers and/or masons.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36476 on: August 11, 2014, 03:30:15 am »

Struck rock crystal and an aquifer. The damned thing covers nearly the entire map except for a gap to the west of the volcano. Luckily, it's below a layer of stone containing plenty of limonite. Traded with the hippies for some sun berries. I've got pretty much everything that isn't rope reeds or worthless dye, so no unhappy thoughts from booze or food. A volcano with sand is the shit. Infinite green glass. I can save my relatively scarce iron (which will be steel eventually) for armor and weapons and shred gobbos with all sorts of lovely glass traps.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36477 on: August 11, 2014, 05:16:39 am »

Struck rock crystal and an aquifer. The damned thing covers nearly the entire map except for a gap to the west of the volcano. Luckily, it's below a layer of stone containing plenty of limonite. Traded with the hippies for some sun berries. I've got pretty much everything that isn't rope reeds or worthless dye, so no unhappy thoughts from booze or food. A volcano with sand is the shit. Infinite green glass. I can save my relatively scarce iron (which will be steel eventually) for armor and weapons and shred gobbos with all sorts of lovely glass traps.

Got some bad news for ya Murdoc, Toady One made traps a bit weaker than they used to be.  Particularly glass traps.

You're gonna need a LOOOOTTT if you want to do any damage at all...

For my own fortress: I just managed to dig a straight exploration shaft all the way to SMR without hitting a single cavern, or the magma sea.  That's 190 z-levels on my embark.  In some ways I guess that's a good thing but holy crap, I should go play the lottery, the odds of the single tile I chose going all the way is just.... yikes.

Also, "You've discovered garnierite!" x105,093,201.  No crap, I get it, I have roughly ten billion tiles of nickel ore, do you really think I care?

P.S. Dwarven climbing still freaks me out.  Just looking across your fortress and you notice a woodcutter hanging on a ledge.  Not for dear life, mind you, but presumably just because it's fun.  Mr. Urist, if you slip and fall, there will be no rescue sir.  There are faster and more efficient means of suicide in this fortress if you so desire.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:30:36 am by Solon64 »
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36478 on: August 11, 2014, 08:11:36 am »

I've found my vampire... time to seal him in a room.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36479 on: August 11, 2014, 10:54:25 am »

Welp, I was AFK for a while there. Now that the new update is out and about, I have a tale to share...

Ingtakkebul Sastres Aroth is a burgeoning metropolis established in the early spring of 125 by the Magic of Friends of the Avalanche of Spikes.
For some unfathomable reason, the intrepid pioneers decided that the side of an active volcano, with an aquifer layer thrown in for some additional *fun* and ☼games☼, was the ideal place to start their new grand fortress.

This decision, together with an initial bout of mismanagement (Hey, it's been a while since I last played, and little details like farm plots are so very easy to overlook! Besides, managing labors without Dwarf Therapist is a pain.), wereskink raids, and the occasional giant or minotaur poking around, has led to the hottest production items in the metropolis of Twilightsparkle the Princess of Magic being coffins, caskets, and memorial slabs. The default mood for the inhabitants of the venerable deathtrap is perpetually traumatized. But hey, at least the ghost population is on the decrease! The first five or so years consisted of little but dwarves covering in horror and doing nothing, when not going berserk and beating each other to bloody pulp or flinging somebody's favorite cat into the crater in a tantrum. (Fortunately, the giant didn't enjoy the fields strewn with corpses any more than my dorfs, who proceeded to use the panicking monster as a punching bag / archery target.)

For whatever reason, migrants still kept coming, (Imagine how horrible the other forts must be for people to actually want to migrate here!) and eventually, the mood stabilized enough for things to actually start getting done. A timely cargo of food from the Mountainhomes kept enough workers alive and sane to start cleaning up the mess.
Although the refuse stockpile still isn't a sight for the faint of heart, what with the dozens of dwarven skeletons mangled to various degrees, we have now undertaken the task of excavating a grand feast hall to properly celebrate the magic of friendship!

P.S. Allowing somebody to adopt that tame hamster you pitted into the volcano? Bad idea. Vermin are immune to lava, dorfs are not...
Urist McPetOwner cancels Recover Pet: Animal inaccessible. x 9001
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:07:17 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 2430 2431 [2432] 2433 2434 ... 3842