Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094519 times)

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36285 on: August 01, 2014, 02:29:14 pm »

As for sleepwalking, I had half my fortress run to their beds asleep half an hour ago. No idea why.
In more recent news, I just discovered a ghost literally chasing a llama into death by exhaustion. Well not really death, I assume when it falls unconscious it stops running away, though who knows with the sleepwalking thing. I have no idea why he is sticking around that llama.
He was from one of the dwarven raiding parties I have been getting and I can't engrave him a slab. I suppose it's fortunate he chose a llama to chase and not anybody useful.
I hope it stays that way.
left eye

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36286 on: August 01, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »

Cöskeskal Oupost. Last standing dwarf: Zuntîr Lorbamgeshud. Born on 3rd Hematite of 501. Now, it is Opal of 555.
Zuntîr has been the sole survivor for at least 1 year now. He spent most of that time engraving the walls and floors of the old living quarters. Some engravings depict the first fall of the fort, before he arrived. Answering to no one, he took the royal bedroom to himself. After having his last two friends dying, he needed it.
Last season, a caravan arrived. No outpost liaison. Traded one exceptional steel spiked ball for more booze, buckets, splints, crutches, cheese and plump helmets. Shortly after the caravan left, a siege with 10 goblins and 1 undead human arrived. Not that it matters. Zuntîr has a whole fortress for himself now, with plenty of food and booze. Right now, he plots. He is training his skills as a weaponsmith and armorsmith. He knows what he must do. He is the last survivor of The Oracular Pillar and The Oracular Hatchet, with Cackeshot being the last walls of his graced civilization. He can now rest easy every night, for he knows his true destiny.

Update 1: A new year came. Granite 556, the siege has been lifted. The goblins went home. The undead are still hanging around.
Update 2: To my greatest joy, a wave of migrants arrived! 20 new dwarves, 15th Slate 556! To my dismay, four already died to one of the leftover zombies. Luckily, it finally stepped into one of my cage traps.
Update 3: 28th Slate. A presser, Vucar Feblogem is throwing a tantrum. He already killed 6 f*cking dwarves. My expedition leader is hiding atop a tree. Down to 10 dwarves. I'll probably atom smash this guy.
Update 4: Another "siege", a dwarf necromancer and his human zombie. The necromancer quickly stepped into one of my cage traps. The zombie somehow managed to kill one of my woodcutters, atop a tree. After running around, it stepped into another trap. Down to 9 dwarves, I've decided to chop down every tree in the map.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:54:50 pm by Bonesinger »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36287 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

45.05 Titan testing has resulted in...

This is a stack of 202 marsh titan meat roast.  The ingredients are minced prepared marsh titan heart, minced prepared marsh titan brain, minced prepared marsh titan intestines and minced marsh titan meat.

Booyah!  8)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36288 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »

Aaaand... the flying dust-worm wiped my fort.  It was listed as "Missing/Deceased"... but as soon as I opened the second cavern it found itself again, with disastrous results.  It apparently had insta-kill dust, so there just wasn't much to be done.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36289 on: August 01, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

The thriving young town of Lockwind is cursed, or at least its woodcutters are. Not five days into the embark, the carpenter and lumberjack was viciously attacked by an exploding tree ("Something has collapsed on the surface!"), and was left crippled--both arms broken in multiple places.
Yeah, I discovered early on in my fort not to designate trees for chopping anywhere but at the base of the tree; if you try to designate the tree at Z+1, the dwarf climbs the tree, and the tree explodes. So when mass designating, be careful around slopes so that you don't make that mistake.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36290 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:50 pm »

My, uh, my Expedition Leader just fell asleep outside. Only, he owns a bed, so he started moving towards it, into the fortress. Sleepwalking, I guess. Upon reaching the fortress entrance, he encounters the cage traps; as he's unconscious, he gets stuck in them. So now I have a caged dwarf. Uh...

Is sleepwalking supposed to happen?

I've seen this happen before, and I presume it's a bug. It couldn't hurt to check Mantis though!  :P
Good thing you didn't have a weapon trap first or your would have some nice chunky dwarf salsa...

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36291 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

A giant twitching humanoid composed of fire. Sebeca DespairFragments the Prowler of Pits. It lumbered up the obsidian downward cavern and burned down the upper caverns. Workers scrambled away as the Distant Dies prepared themselves.
http://imgur.com/a/naqas

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36292 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:41 pm »

I have a perpetually burning three year old dwarf who got set on fire when a warlock spy revealed themselves in the dining room.
Oh, and that happened. Death toll: 1 plump helmet man, 2 cannon fodder recruits, and a cat. The warlock burned themselves to death with their own flame spells. Good going, dumbass.

Edit: Oh gods. I have so many mussel shells. HUNDREDS OF THEM. MUST.
MAKE.
CHEAP.
CRAFTS!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:24:03 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36293 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »

trying to get some marks dwarfs started, i have always hated the military, can't figure out how to get them to train right.  got invaded and had two.... make that three people die on me, one fell in the river. also saw an elephant and a goblin do battle for ten minutes, the marks goblin became a hammer goblin after awhile, i got to collect his weapon. turns out enemies can scale walls, as can elephants, fixing that problem now. also i got an migration wave of 28 and am now trying to keep the dwarfs from starving.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36294 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:22 pm »

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

senilking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36295 on: August 01, 2014, 10:39:19 pm »

Zombies showed up way too early, right after the first migrant wave of 3 dwarfs, and are hanging around deterring any more migrants. Also have an aquifer, and I've lost two picks with miners so far. Basically watching my population drop slowly while I try to make the best of it, but I am quantum creating steel, so at some point I will charge with steel clad dwarves. Oh, and I somehow ended up with 4 pieces of stone. Two for slabs for miners than froze to death, one for a mechanism for a well, and the final stone is probably the most precious thing in the fortress. It could be anything I could end up needing, but it's the last.

Fun way to start an attempt at not using traps or doors/bridges to protect the fortress. I kind of feel like the Roanoke Island colony, and I didn't really have to try and make it like that, it just happened. I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has. This would be a fun fortress to have the mod where I could make robots to do my work for me. The dwarves would eventually die out and it would be all machines.

I'm trying not to think really hard how to fix my situation, it's kind of fun just hanging on with 8 7 dwarves working and zombies on the border. The first real goblin attach will be the end of it though. Might just build a wall at the entrance and go deep, or at least z-2 to the aquifer, lol. It doesn't take much room to entertain 7 dwarves.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36296 on: August 01, 2014, 11:38:22 pm »

I just had (not kidding) 8 dwarves give birth in the space of 3 in game days, bumping the count of children up to 40/92 total dwarves
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36297 on: August 02, 2014, 08:09:27 am »

24th Slate, 251, Mid Spring

The winter had been harsh.

We'd arrived with little but the clothes on our backs, but we'd struck the earth and carved a meager home for ourselves. The woods had provided abundant fuel for the forges, and our first caravan in late autumn gave us enough metal to start working the smelters. In our eagerness to begin, we'd neglected the food stores, trading away our small supplies of provisions in our haste to secure a supply of steel, and only in late winter did we realize our drink had run out and we'd no crops planted.

Bravely did we endure, though thirst became our constant companion. Fully half our score of dwarves became mortally dehydrated ere the first crops of spring sprouted. Frantically we harvested, sending the first fruits to the brewers with all speed. Our fortress was saved with mere days left to spare before our parched and desiccated bodies began to fall. Yet not without price did the folly of our actions come. Two of our wives produced stillborn miscarriages, the cost of a season without wine or ale.

And then, as if the very gods seemed determined to spit on the glimmer of hope we'd grasped, an alarm went up. A great werebeast approached!

---

Asob Abelotung was the last person you'd expect to lead an outpost of dwarves. His worship of Edim, the deity or rainbows, light and day, put him at odds with many of his fellows, who frowned on such ideas as revering the cursed sunlight. Yet steadfastly he set out from the persecution of his homeland with six other adventurous souls, determined to found a new life for himself where his beliefs could be respected.

When he heard the cry of alarm from the wood haulers he took a moment to utter a short prayer to Edim. A creature of the night, mortal enemy of his god, had seen fit to invade his fortress!

There were no trained warriors among his small band. The few immigrants he'd attracted had all been farmers and craftsdwarves before seeking their fortunes in the frontier. Even if there were, the fortress had little with which to equip them. They'd barely survived their first winter without starving, and now this!

Asob hefted his copper pick. He'd spent the winter carving living spaces into the rock with his close friend Datan. Their picks and the woodcutter's axes represented the total sum of the weaponry of the fortress.

Very well then, he thought. If my god wills it, who am I to argue? Pointing at Datan and the two woodcutters Ducim and Dastot, he ordered them to fall in line. They would give their lives in the defense of the fortress. The others looked warily at him but followed at a distance.

Reaching the surface, Asob took a brief second to bask in Edim's sunlight when a trumpeting roar broke his reverie. Charging with murder in it's eyes was a horrific fusion of man and beast, a human twisted into the form of a mammoth. Gleaming tusks dripping with spittle and fresh gore swung to target Asob, and in turn the dwarf moved as fast as his seventy-six years of age would let him. Behind him his erstwhile defenders broke ranks and fled.

The weremammoth charged and Asob jumped back. He swung his pick and ripped open the creature's leg. The monster fell to the ground with a bellow of pain, still swinging at Asob as the miner dodged every attack. Floating like a butterfly, he breezed between the blows. Stinging like a bee, he struck with his pick. The mammoth form in front of him became little more than a wall of meat, and Asob carved into his chest with blow after blow, digging deep into the creature to find the treasures buried within.

---

The fleeing militia eventually steeled themselves and returned to the scene of the fight, sure in their belief they would be finding naught but slaughter. They were right.

Surrounded by a river of blood, steaming with chunks of gore and entrails, the expedition leader Asob Abelotung stood in a shallow cave of meat that had once been the weremammoth's chest. Asob's eyes were closed in silent contemplation, face turned to the heavens in mute worship of the sunlight's blessed kiss.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36298 on: August 02, 2014, 08:20:26 am »

I was already surprised that that ghost of an invading dwarf was chasing a Llama to death.
But, you know, I was actually fine with it since it was happening at the edge of the map.
Then the Llama lead the ghost towards my entrance, where my militia was training.
As soon as they came into vision, my one marksdwarf started firing bolts at the two, the melle troops quickly following suit and swarming the ghost.
They are now engaged in an epic staredown, since they can't touch each other.

EDIT: He has now entered a martial trance! This is apparently a known bug.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:32:42 am by Nail »
left eye

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36299 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:21 am »

3rd year of this 40.05 fortress with its 90+ dwarves living it in.

My dwarves created lot of wealth, thanks to artifacts worth a lot.
But they never saw a single goblin, kobold or whatever, i guess is there

Then suddenly, my vigilant dwarves spotted the thing

Oh a titan, let's sound the alarm so silly civilians rush to burrow and let's put my 10 marksdwarves on the roof of my fort to shoot at the beast.

Unfortunately for one of my dwarves, the titan is moving really fast, and his web does not help the poor guys to escape.
Additionally, we have the fast confirmation that we're not facing a weak titan at all

Then he rush toward another dwarf that was too far from getting into the safety of the fort.

The beast then go into the river ? for some reason and does not move anymore.
As my marksdwarves are too far too shoot, i decide to order them to get out of the fortress and fill that beast with bolts.

A couple of bolts go into the river and hit the target, but the thing is though as it only bruise it, but that action seems to make him willing to move again and he charges right into the nearest soldier

Ouch, now that's much more dangerous than i thought, half my squad are coward that have actually fled in terror before the beast even moved out of the river, letting the few braver ones to be utterly annihilated.

But those coward didn't had it much easier, as they were trying to move to the rally point i set for them to help them get back inside the fort, the thing rushed again.
And as usual , the dwarves proves how horrible unworthy crappy parents they are by dragging kids on battlefield ...

And after a couple more killing, i have only 1 marksdwarf of the 10 i had still alive ... their commander !
Again dwarves proves that the most safe place in a battlefield is to be a commanding guy.
Looking for that commander location, i find him ... inside the fort ... next to the raised bridge, while all his guys are lying dead on the field

Looks like the titan can't climb, fortunately, or it would be a carnage, as some of my marksdwarves were actually quite good at their military skill, and seeing what the titan made of them, the civilians stand absolutely no chance.

I pity the poor caravan that will come here if the titan decide it's a good place to stay and wait.
Pages: 1 ... 2418 2419 [2420] 2421 2422 ... 3842