Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2399 2400 [2401] 2402 2403 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124028 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36000 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:14 am »

On my unit list dead/ missing screen, I find listing as missing one fire imp, a troglodyte and 2 slush ghosts. I have not breached any caverns yet (still paving soil levels). I wonder what lurks beneath  :o
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36001 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:51 am »

I neglected to check the cause of death of a worldgen reclaim fortress, and ran into something similar. Wall him in and forget about him, I guess. If he doesn't have a gas or spit attack, you can fortification some walls and make it into a shooting range.

"Lish Hatedfates the Nightma-" something

"An enormous feathered leech. It has wings and it is ravening. Its slate gray feathers are fluffed-out. Beware its poisonious bite!"

Yeah, its not really that frightening monster  :P If it is killed by military dwarves, can I still butcher its corpse for meat and parts?

]I'm picturing a dwarf opening the door while exploring a ruin, seeing a, shambling primeval horror from the deep, and just slowly closing the door while the creature stared at her with its equivalent of eyes, and nonchalantly telling everyone that the room is out of limits.

That is actually pretty much how the first encounter went. The forbidden beast didn't even move in the time it took for dwarf to enter the room and grab stockpile item.(I reclaimed this world gen fortress once already, but got killed by "vile force of darkness" elves since I hadn't prepared for early siege in first year)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36002 on: July 22, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

You can indeed butcher it for meat and parts! Remember to set o-r-o or whatever it is that tells dwarves to gather refuse. May +forgotten beast soap+ clean your wounds and +forgotten beast meat roasts[200]+ sate your hunger.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36003 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:22 pm »

The main PC suffered a fatal hardware error and died. The only other computer uses XP, which the latest version of the starter pact isn't compatible with, so I'm using a version of the original LNP that's from 2013.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36004 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

The main PC suffered a fatal hardware error and died. The only other computer uses XP, which the latest version of the starter pact isn't compatible with, so I'm using a version of the original LNP that's from 2013.

Feel your pain on that.  I just did a dual drive install and setup raid, and am installing from scratch on my PC.  My old drive started making... funny noises.  I just barely got ahead of it, I think.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36005 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:09 pm »

I started up a fort in a world full of goblins without dwarves and only 1 human (and some elves to)

after a year or so the elves came along to trade.
not much happened random dwarf became king and such.

but then a werebeast came!
and this wasn't just any werebeast this werebeast is the last human in existence. I didn't have much faith in my military might so I locked everyone inside the fortress hoping to keep everyone alive...it worked but I lost my rooster and all but one hen. :c
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36006 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »

Humans arrive to trade and all goes smoothly, more or less. The militia still trains, waiting for the day an enemy will come to test them besides that one group of bandits a year ago. They are impatient for slaughter, and news from home last year was that either the goblins or someone else was attacking the mountainhomes, agitating thier bloodlust even more.

One member of the militia, the currently only macedwarf Zon, is even alternating between fine and content due to a lack of things to kill (the damned ravens are stuck; bird AI really needs to be fixed,) and having to constantly talk to Iton Husbandpuncher's older child who keeps showing up between parties to pester the surface militia, and whom Zon has developed an intense hatred for. Yes, soldiers do socialize while training if dwarves hang out in thier barracks it seems.

Space for the captain of the guard has been partially made ready, a dormitory for the few children who lack rooms made, a hospital partially complete (it still needs several traction benches and a CMD who knows what the hell they're doing,) and several 'stolen' items I seized back are being encrusted with the plentiful schorl to make them valid to sell again without wasting a hauler's bin.

I have noted that the elves' civ is not highlighted in blue like the humans on the civ screen, leading me to believe I'm not on good terms with them, and my proximity to them may make for a nice battle if a war breaks out, and I'm going to make a point of knocking down one or two trees every time they visit.

Artifact-wise, I've been astoundingly lucky, with only one useless artifact, a mandrill bone amulet. 4/5 are actually useful!

Ogredem,  Swampeast, phyllite hatch cover
Mishos Ner, The Beach of Lakes, alder throne
Imgozlames Kosoth Togem, Sunderround The Palace of Verses, bone throne
Rakustlisid, Tombclash, basalt armor stand

On top of this, the mayoral favorit Olin Feedclasps has been been re-elected twice now and has been our mayor for 3 years straight. impressive really. All she mandates are chairs and forbidding thier export, making her highly popular with me as well as the dorfs.

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36007 on: July 22, 2014, 03:57:39 pm »

I'm doing a reclaim of a fortress that fell before a year passed. I had ten dwarves after the first migrant wave and immediately got sieged by nine goblins. The fortress fell quickly, as my mason/mechanic had gone on break and never finished the bridge that would seal my fortress from the inside out. At least before the last dwarf was slain the only child in the fortress killed one of the goblins in a berserk rage.

I sent another group out to reclaim the site, and slowly began working on correcting my mistakes. I now have a large front gate complex that will protect my dwarves from harm, am starting on my above-ground farm, have a hospital that can be carefully fed from a freshwater lake in the second of three caverns spanning 10 z-levels and things are looking up. My Expedition Leader has unfortunately formed grudges with three of my dwarves and after a year and a half of this reclaimed fortress has only attracted one meagre group of migrants. I eventually got ambushed by the leftovers of the goblins that destroyed the first fortress, but somehow they were spotted in a blacked out corner of the third caverns that I have sealed off so they aren't a threat anymore.

Interestingly I received word from the outpost liason that our Queen passed, and was succeeded by his son Cerol who became the new Queen... okay then, long live the Queen!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36008 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:44 pm »

things go well in the fort. the military strength is becoming stronger.

but then the goblin nation attacked!
8 goblins arrive to attack and I send out my militia captain alone. (for reasons) and he killed 6 of them before the other 2 ran off in terror. so yay my militia captain is a badass. :"D
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36009 on: July 22, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »

My outpost liason has arrived and is one of the baronessess' consort.

EDIT: He gave me news that months ago, an elven army called The Hot Flower has conquered several sites and that there new mayors being elected Armok knows where.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:19:19 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36010 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »

I think it's in 40.02, but I have a random something-or-other called a Cream Devil labeled as "Missing" on my new fort...
Anybody know what it is?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36011 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:20 pm »

I think it's in 40.02, but I have a random something-or-other called a Cream Devil labeled as "Missing" on my new fort...
Anybody know what it is?

Well someone ate a cake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And also, could someone get a bug report down (Pending an account for it right now) about hunters that kill an animal not reporting it as dead, my hunters have killed several animals and are not registering as dead but instead missing and are being taken to the butcher and are butchered.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:38:24 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36012 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:55 pm »

Stuff be here

Feel your pain on that.  I just did a dual drive install and setup raid, and am installing from scratch on my PC.  My old drive started making... funny noises.  I just barely got ahead of it, I think.
It just suddenly crashed. Also, it's actually my dad's gaming PC that me and my sisters share with him(one only plays browser based games, so the only me, my dad, and my other sister use it for that.

On topic, I genned a world, only to realize that I forgot to turn aquifers off. *facepalm*

EDIT: Kindle autocorrect changed "facepalm" into "dancehall" WTF, autocorrect?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:59:23 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36013 on: July 22, 2014, 07:04:29 pm »

My first migrant wave had a high master miner in it. Awesome.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36014 on: July 22, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »

after retiring the fortress to adventure to a nearby hamlet I unretired the fort and discovered the weirdness of unretiring. including that if a forgotten beast seems to teleport to the surface upon returning. O.o my milita captain quickly killed him.
Pages: 1 ... 2399 2400 [2401] 2402 2403 ... 3842