Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2395 2396 [2397] 2398 2399 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097384 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35940 on: July 20, 2014, 12:10:23 am »

The PetCavyDrop is ready. It is made of a lever linked to a hatch and a spear trap. When pulled, it opens the hatch and retracts the spikes, so the cavy falls 8 levels into the dining room floor. If it survives, we pull the lever again. All the ecstatic dwarves (and nearby militia) will be waiting to see the results.

We have 3x the amount of KiloDwarves needed to power our current machinery. However, we lack wood to make tons of screw pumps. I only need to mine-out one single tile to flood BaitHall #3 with water to decontaminate the resident Dwarf Evil Ash Husk. Now I just need to finalize the militia, then it will be 14 dabbling axedwarves vs. 1 decontaminated dwarf husk.

I have enough charcoal to MeltPants enough to make the 10 additional steel battle axes for Sqaud #2. Then I will be rationing the wood and the charcoal for a while. I cleared out some more of the soil layer to encourage fungus to grow there, because I need more wood for all the waterwheels and mist generators that are planned :)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35941 on: July 20, 2014, 12:17:37 am »

the steel equipment factory stopped due to lack of resources, will have to wait until the smelters finish the production...meanwhile the bedrooms are being decored with cabinets for extra happiness, the squad is training and i hope all of them have at least the swords.

EDIT: just needed to build two extra smelters, i'll let the production chain run until i run out of wood, its not like i really need it but i dont really know how much charcoal i have produced. just will wait until the resources dwindle, this doesnt affects the overal survival of the fortress.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:42:38 am by xaritscin »

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35942 on: July 20, 2014, 04:11:50 am »

Rovod goes for the critical hit on the undead atop a volcano

Goblin head falling ! Like the fuck I never gave about
Amost who failed the climb check into lava, look there it goes!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:14:25 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35943 on: July 20, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

the ride never ends, a goblin siege has started, some dwarves were left outside due to their own stupidity, at least no soldier was outside, the bunker has been secured and the rest is doing its stuff, i hope not to suffer a tantrum spiral after this, but i cannot let my swordwarves go and get killed there, this is a large scale attack.

population was around 90, FPS around 30, im trying to breach the first cavern layer, the jungle hasnt recovered from the regional chopping and i have ran out of wood.

EDIT: opened the doors to see if my steel equipped militia could do something, most of them were left in the hospital or are dead, and there's still goblins to kill, this fortress sucked bad. time to find another
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:14:31 am by xaritscin »

Krewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35944 on: July 20, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »

EDIT: opened the doors to see if my steel equipped militia could do something, most of them were left in the hospital or are dead, and there's still goblins to kill, this fortress sucked bad. time to find another
I think thats having several squads with 2-4 members will mean that your troops will train their skills faster, having 10 man squads is really bad for training.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35945 on: July 20, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »

that or i should have trained for marksdwarves first, oh well, time to start anew.

this time is in a tropical savanna, trees have been chopped and grass has been gathered, and have overground farms, housing is done quickly and have space for up to 60 dorfs for now, current population is 18, and the flux lvls are mostly dedicated to industry, with several specified stockpiles and a space for workshops. magnetite is plentifull so i think im gonna start with iron, if i can get some fuel first. wood is too important right now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35946 on: July 20, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »

I think thats having several squads with 2-4 members will mean that your troops will train their skills faster, having 10 man squads is really bad for training.

I find 3-5 works best for an early militia with at least leather or bone armor to keep them from hurting eachother with throws.

That or I should have trained for marksdwarves first; oh well, time to start anew.

Actually you'd be better off starting off with  melee dorfs unless you're starting in an evil biome with reanimations, unless you feel like wasting bed, bin, and barrel materials on wooden bolts after your 'hunters' run out of ammo.

There never seems to be enough beds, barrels, or bins no matter how much wood to make them you have...

Katarumi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35947 on: July 20, 2014, 02:59:44 pm »

Three undead ogres broke in and murdered 10 dwarves, which then resurrected and started murdering everyone. I finally got all the dead bodies pitted, but tantrum spiral was in full swing. It finally stopped after 47 casualties (38 dwarves remaining). Couple waves of migrants come in. I check all my migrants by hand and assign them using Dwarf therapist. Alam Somethingsomethingsomething...wait, no dwarf by that name in DT? Wat

U -> Alam McSomething -> V -> like fifteen lines of "Former member of X". Not suspicious at all. Check dieties; "Limul cursed Zon Stakethundered..." Check DT - Zon Stakethundered. Welp

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35948 on: July 20, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »

Thanks to .04 dropping, I decided to abandon my projects (again, and no big loss either way) and update, so new fortress time! Burngears, established apparently in an endless snowfield.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For this one, we'll definitely be digging straight down and establishing a little fort aboveground with a courtyard for refuse and whatnot. My usual designs tend to be pretty utilitarian, so I'm thinking of ways to make the fort design more cool without becoming inpractical, given what I need to have happen and the fact that I'm rather average at the game.

Most of my forts have been pretty vertical just for convenience sake; if it's a choice between building out into a sprawl or a bunch of levels with their own purpose, obviously the latter is more efficient, at least until dwarves get winded from long stair climbs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:03:48 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35949 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:35 pm »

Thanks to .04 dropping, I decided to abandon my projects (again, and no big loss either way) and update, so new fortress time! Burngears, established apparently in an endless snowfield.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For this one, we'll definitely be digging straight down and establishing a little fort aboveground with a courtyard for refuse and whatnot. My usual designs tend to be pretty utilitarian, so I'm thinking of ways to make the fort design more cool without becoming practical, given what I need to have happen and the fact that I'm rather average at the game.

Most of my forts have been pretty vertical just for convenience sake; if it's a choice between building out into a sprawl or a bunch of levels with their own purpose, obviously the latter is more efficient, at least until dwarves get winded from long stair climbs.

one tip, use the soil layers for housing, agriculture and other social aspects(barracks, underground farms, dinning hall, ETC), so they're easier and quicker to carve, the stone layers use them for storage and workshops.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35950 on: July 20, 2014, 05:57:36 pm »

Started a mod to play as goblins. Less focus on feeding, more focus on defence. Fells good to not have to embark on aquifer without constantly checking the stills.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35951 on: July 20, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »

-snip-

one tip, use the soil layers for housing, agriculture and other social aspects(barracks, underground farms, dinning hall, ETC), so they're easier and quicker to carve, the stone layers use them for storage and workshops.

I've always done the opposite, have housing, barracks, and dining hall in the stone so that they can be smoothed and engraved, while the farms, workshops, and storage in soil so they can be easily expanded without needing to be resmoothed/reengraved.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35952 on: July 20, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »

Trees in .04 now drop branches that penetrate 3 z levels into the earth, killing random dwarves and stunning others from the "dust cloud o' doom".

Thinking new forts should be established in the rock layers to avoid... unpleasantness.

Also, trees grow stupid fast, and overpopulate their biomes.  EVERY area quickly becomes "Thick"-ly forested, regardless of what biome it starts as.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35953 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:42 pm »

Trees in .04 now drop branches that penetrate 3 z levels into the earth, killing random dwarves and stunning others from the "dust cloud o' doom".

Sounds like fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

AdjustingPriorities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35954 on: July 20, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »

I set up my fort for the worst, getting a working steel industry set before I had farms. Installed the orcs mod and was paranoid about being attached. Anyway, So I send my first squad of hammer, axe, and a sword dorfs to kill a GCS that was slowly lurking to my main stairway. I have a stockpile of steel armor to wear, and they're kitted out without too much encumberance. I find out the hard way something was amiss with my commander. Urist McForgetshishat is immediately set upon and used as a chew toy, While the rest of the squad just watches. Eventually they get the spider, but not before my commander has a healthy does of Fun mixed in with his brain.  :-\
Balance a badly calibrated scale with uneven, unmarked weights until the wires holding up the pans catch on fire.

Due to a modding error, I once got sieged by an army of toads lead by a pyromancer. Not toadmen, not giant toads, but toads. The kind cats murder.
Pages: 1 ... 2395 2396 [2397] 2398 2399 ... 3842