Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2355 2356 [2357] 2358 2359 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972472 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35340 on: July 05, 2014, 11:45:25 pm »

A goblin siege was broken by 120 of the fiercest ironclad dwarves the Windy Planet has to offer and the 26 year reign of an Elf goblin Law-Giver was ended with a silver war hammer. Their weapons rarely made it past the legendary dwarven craftsmanship of Boatsordered armor but the rutherers and jabberers were another story. We're spiraling into anarchy so I've conscripted every dwarf as an engraver and sent them to work in the mines or engrave slabs. One day savages will come to loot our ancient necropolis and they will read in awe the tales we now carve into the very earth.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35341 on: July 05, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

52 beards are now attacking the elves, who were kind enough to bring me a grizzly bear. Thanks guys!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35342 on: July 06, 2014, 12:36:23 am »

I decided that if my fortress is going to crumble it's going to be apocalyptic. I created a well of unlife, banned the booze, and conscripted every adult dwarf. 120 fully armed vampires are flipping the fuck out and it's amazing.

A fully armored vampire with a broken neck is rolling around the ground biting ankles and daring his squad mates to come come get some. They can't hurt him with melee weapons because of his armor and toughness and he's apparently built up an immunity to being perforated by crossbow bolts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35343 on: July 06, 2014, 12:42:31 am »

I decided that if my fortress is going to crumble it's going to be apocalyptic. I created a well of unlife, banned the booze, and conscripted every adult dwarf. 120 fully armed vampires are flipping the fuck out and it's amazing.

A fully armored vampire with a broken neck is rolling around the ground biting ankles and daring his squad mates to come come get some. They can't hurt him with melee weapons because of his armor and toughness and he's apparently built up an immunity to being perforated by crossbow bolts.

I've always wondered what might happen if you make a billion vampires and then abandon the fort. What is the overall impact on world events? With so many immortal night creatures, what massive cultural shifts might occur?

Next update we'll get to explore that a little better by continuing on a different fort after retiring (or abandoning) one that had a well of unlife with vamps.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35344 on: July 06, 2014, 12:48:37 am »

I've always wondered what might happen if you make a billion vampires and then abandon the fort. What is the overall impact on world events? With so many immortal night creatures, what massive cultural shifts might occur?

Next update we'll get to explore that a little better by continuing on a different fort after retiring (or abandoning) one that had a well of unlife with vamps.

Does anything interesting happen in the simulated years that pass when you embark/abandon repeatedly? I would love to do that about twenty times then go on into legends to look at the ramifications of unleashing a vampire army.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35345 on: July 06, 2014, 01:21:56 am »

Forgotten Beast (snail with gray hair and wings) came out of the caverns and attacked my fort. Got a fey mood going on, screaming for cut gems while one of my last 33 beards is cutting a green tourmaline. So far, she's got logs, rock blocks, cut gems, ore, and ewe bones in there...

Miasmas are taking over, two guys are laying in my hospital waiting for attention, hooray! Losing is FUN! Oh, and DF hasn't even realized that most of the dwarves are dead yet...they're all missing. DT is the only way I know how many I have for sure...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35346 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:02 am »

Does anything interesting happen in the simulated years that pass when you embark/abandon repeatedly? I would love to do that about twenty times then go on into legends to look at the ramifications of unleashing a vampire army.

Unless the well of unlife stays between reclaims, you'd have to find a new vampire for each fort. But given the number of vampires you'd be unleashing, that might be easy to do.

I have no idea if - currently - anything happens during those years. Next release we'll have better options, anyway.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35347 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

52 beards are now attacking the elves, who were kind enough to bring me a grizzly bear. Thanks guys!

About how many times do you have to clobber elven caravans before they send armies after you? (Ditto for humans?)
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35348 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:35 am »

If you want them to send armies you need to sell them wooden items multiple times.
They dont care about their own kind getting murdered. But if a tree gets looked at funny they freak out.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35349 on: July 06, 2014, 11:05:31 am »

I've had humans siege me after a part of one of their caravans got accidentally atomsmashed so...

Not much.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35350 on: July 06, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

Temptedtrades became the mountainhome, and started mining candy.  Dwarves were happy... too happy.  A FB appeared and killed, in one rampage, the five most popular, well-connected, well-liked dwarves in the entire fortress.

The whole population went completely mental.  Full-on tantrum spiral ensued... and more FBs came pouring out of the woodwork.  Another one appeared, this one with dust, and killed off three more popular dwarves.

I don't see this ending well at all. 
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35351 on: July 06, 2014, 12:03:55 pm »

If you want them to send armies you need to sell them wooden items multiple times.
They dont care about their own kind getting murdered. But if a tree gets looked at funny they freak out.

Noted!

I've had humans siege me after a part of one of their caravans got accidentally atomsmashed so...

Not much.

Well see, I've taken out two or three human caravans in a row by now via military, and they just keep coming peacefully to the slaughterhouse!
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35352 on: July 06, 2014, 12:35:23 pm »

Not much.

Well see, I've taken out two or three human caravans in a row by now via military, and they just keep coming peacefully to the slaughterhouse!

Have you been killing off the entire caravan? Could be that since no one survives the encounter to report it to their civ, that it goes unnoticed.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35353 on: July 06, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »

I think the tantrum spiral is over. The number of casualties is probably ca 100 dwarves. There were also a few vampire related murders but I've yet to identify the culprit.

In other news, a necropolis is being built. Again. Next time I'll focus on security and low fraternization.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35354 on: July 06, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »

I think the tantrum spiral is over. The number of casualties is probably ca 100 dwarves. There were also a few vampire related murders but I've yet to identify the culprit.

In other news, a necropolis is being built. Again. Next time I'll focus on security and low fraternization.

I recommend taking goblin prisoners and dropping them 15 levels into the dining hall for desensitization.
Pages: 1 ... 2355 2356 [2357] 2358 2359 ... 3839