Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2352 2353 [2354] 2355 2356 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123925 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35295 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »

Hammerflickered managed to wall in the breach before the demons reached the inhabited levels. The only casualties of the swarm was a stupid swordsdwarf who ran down there to "pickup equipment" despite the fact he should've been assigned steel armor rather than the bronze armor he was wearing and running down to retrieve. Why he decided to get the armor just now, when he had months to do so before hand, and now when he was literally removed from the squad and all items in the third caverns was forbidden, is a reason unknown. Probably because he's an idiot.

The rush of demons was slowed due to a couple doors I had placed in the caverns as well as a group of plump helmet men standing near the spire when the demons came up. A bunch of demons are now fighting the plump helmet men, who seem to take no damage from anything the demons throw at them. Everything glances away. Additionally, the FB spike trap has caught the attention of the demons. Many of them are just standing on top of one another staring at the artifact cabinet bait. They're out of range of the spikes, but at least they're distracted.

Probably gonna start a massive military enlisting to train and fight the demons back. It's ~100 demons made of inorganics like salt, ice, and steam, so they should be fairly brittle. I've got enough candy for hopefully armoring my 14 primary melee dwarves, and probably enough bronze for all the recruits.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35296 on: July 02, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »

Huh. It seems like rocks and things would be pretty effective. Have you tried catapults?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35297 on: July 02, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »

Hmm. Can you shut off the magma flow? Because what you could do is pit in a kitten in the floodable zone, wait for the zombies to swarm it, then incinerate whoever took the bait. Shut off the magma or pond in some water to make a new platform for kittenbait, repeat.

The magma flow does have two off switches. One controls a bridge to stop the outflow. Another de-links the pump stack from the water reactor used to power it. It's currently off, but the entire basin I showed in my first post regarding magma flooding is now at 7/7. It would be the logical place to pit bait, but now that it's full, I'd have to empty it before enacting the plan you've suggested.

The second problem is that I don't have any domestic animals at all. My only potential bait animal is a cave crocodile I captured and tamed.

Did I mention this fort started off as a single-pick challenge fort? ...in a resurrecting biome with husking clouds? I'm actually relatively surprised I've gotten this far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:20:18 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35298 on: July 02, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »

Cave spider scored two bites on a forgotten beast before webbing it on a cage trap. Awesomesauce. Took care of some fortress related stuff and then examined it.

"Beware it's deadly blood."

There's a pool of the stuff separating the fort from the caverns and I can't tell who stepped in it.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35299 on: July 02, 2014, 10:10:07 pm »

Started a "single pick" embark on a glacier.  Wasn't sure that my dorfs were going to make it.  FINALLY got things settled a bit and my hunter went out into a snowstorm alone.  Came back carrying some dead thing, couldn't tell what it was.  When I looked at the butcher shop to see what it was... it was a POLAR BEAR.  He killed it all by himself.

I've never been so proud  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35300 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:19 pm »

There once was a dwarf named Lolor, who came to the fortress in its second year, a few months after her parents arrived. For a further 30 years she lived an unremarkable life as an agricultural dwarf, until an accident lost to the mists of time claimed the function of her right leg. The assorted doctors of the fortress looked at the limp, unresponsive limb and shook their heads, and prescribed a crutch to act as a replacement. She was brought to bed on 24 Galena 125, and remained there until 5 Timber 133 due to an inexplicable lack of available crutches.

On that day, the fortress of Rushedcloistered was rushed to a tiny area comprising the food and drink stockpiles. I'd been remodelling the FB catcher to have everything come into my nice shiny field of tempting copper doors and 10x masterwork steel spikes, but with the last FB to escape a second path had been opened. This path wound around the level of the third cavern from west to east, up to the first cavern, and down through the old access stairway in the western corner back into the third cavern. From there it opened out onto the less-old storage areas and workshops, close to the hospital but far away from the tiny burrow where everyone else and the crossbow squad were.

Lolor didn't last long, but neither did the FB in the end. I watched as the first marksdwarf arrived at the scene and the first bolt was loosed into the darkness of the level below, and the kill order rescinded. Wait, what? Yup, boom. Headshot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35301 on: July 02, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »

Trying to figure out a way to deal with the two very confused trolls that got cornered in an apartment block during the last siege, now that my already-paltry militia's been annihilated. Suggestions welcome.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35302 on: July 03, 2014, 12:11:41 am »

Trying to figure out a way to deal with the two very confused trolls that got cornered in an apartment block during the last siege, now that my already-paltry militia's been annihilated. Suggestions welcome.

Wall off the apartment block, building a temporary shelter for your civ in the meantime.

Set up an insanely complicated magma-minecart delivery system to the roof of the apartment block.

Remove one single roof tile.  Have minecarts dump magma through the hole.  SLOWLY.  Let the dimwitted trolls realize their doom but be unable to do anything about it.  Let them pound on the constructed walls with all their might as the puddles of magma pour in slowly, drop by drop, tile by tile.

Later, open the walls and doors and let the place empty out.  And fumigate, burnt/melted troll has got to smell HORRIBLE.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35303 on: July 03, 2014, 08:37:08 am »

There once was a dwarf named Lolor, who came to the fortress in its second year, a few months after her parents arrived. For a further 30 years she lived an unremarkable life as an agricultural dwarf, until an accident lost to the mists of time claimed the function of her right leg. The assorted doctors of the fortress looked at the limp, unresponsive limb and shook their heads, and prescribed a crutch to act as a replacement. She was brought to bed on 24 Galena 125, and remained there until 5 Timber 133 due to an inexplicable lack of available crutches.

On that day, the fortress of Rushedcloistered was rushed to a tiny area comprising the food and drink stockpiles. I'd been remodelling the FB catcher to have everything come into my nice shiny field of tempting copper doors and 10x masterwork steel spikes, but with the last FB to escape a second path had been opened. This path wound around the level of the third cavern from west to east, up to the first cavern, and down through the old access stairway in the western corner back into the third cavern. From there it opened out onto the less-old storage areas and workshops, close to the hospital but far away from the tiny burrow where everyone else and the crossbow squad were.

Lolor didn't last long, but neither did the FB in the end. I watched as the first marksdwarf arrived at the scene and the first bolt was loosed into the darkness of the level below, and the kill order rescinded. Wait, what? Yup, boom. Headshot.

The story of Lolor is here:
She arrived upon the second year
For three long decades
She was farming away
With nothing of note to fear.

But then from some fateful mistake
Her leg suffered a fearful break
The doctor's were confounded
And they soon surrounded
Her bed and "it's screwed," they spake.

She could have made do with a crutch
But alas, in the fortress no such
A device did rest
So Lolor was left
In her bed, really not doing much.

So it was, for long years eight
When Lolor finally met her fate
A most terrible beast
Emerged from the deeps
And from its set trap did escape

Rushedcloistered had burrowed salvation
Saved most of its own population
But Lolor was stuck
In hospital, and fuck
If that wasn't good as damnation.

Lolor was splattered in her cot
But a marksdwarf then snuck up and got
The end of the beastie
So for now, at least we
Can triumphantly cry, "HEADSHOT!"
How do I do it? Prune juice.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35304 on: July 03, 2014, 09:02:14 am »

Uhhm. I found a giant peach-faced lovebird corpse with a copper bolt on top of a tree. The game says it's in open space. Is that normal? First time I see something sitting on a tree. And it's not that I accidentally got a copy of df2014 somehow...
anyone?
Normal.  He died in the tree, and bolts get stuck in the trees, too.  More perplexing is the 'floating blood pools' that are left by flyers when struck.  Occasionally Ill build a tower somewhere and it will be pre splattered in blood because blood apparently comes out upon the creature getting hit.

---

Also complaining about the 'floating' piles of mud that will hang out for a few seasons, and then (seeming) randomly collapse and kill my dwarves.  Like all the children I force inside to get away from the gobos.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:06:03 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35305 on: July 03, 2014, 09:05:30 am »

that was the greatest limerick story I've heard yet.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35306 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:33 am »

;)
How do I do it? Prune juice.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #35307 on: July 03, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

Vampire Baroness in sealed-off room was given a pick and sent to build a city in the caverns. She found not one, not two, but THREE zombie dragons down there.

After managing to kill one & well on the way to finishing the second, the third found the sealed off room... which I'd accidentally channeled into while planning out some waterworks.

As if that wasn't enough, military was busy dealing with a goblin siege, which meant the dragon had the run of the fortress. Final message before this fortress fell?

'The dead walk. Hide while you still can!'

No kidding. I think I figured that out with the three zombie dragons!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35308 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17:45 pm »

First came the Founders who brought the Vision and dug out the mud and stone.
Then came the Bronze Caste to forge the copper and tin.
Next followed the Brute Slags who carry the weight of the fortress.
Finally arrive the hoards to suckle on the teet of our success.
They come from the Void and are tainted with sloth.
Beware the dwarves for they are not kin, but cowards.
Who have come to devour our meat, guzzle our beer, and take our beds.

I have to say I've made a fairly segregated fort based on when migrants arrived. Three different sections. All new migrants are Voided and must live in the old burrow. Some maybe devoided be granted permission to leave the old halls. Food is always scare in the old halls, many Voiders are hungry until the next crop of plump helmets. Trying to find a good balance between suffering and not dying.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35309 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »

At least five dwarves exposed to necrotic FB toxins. 3 are full body one got it on both hands and the other got it on the left foot. The first full body victim died during surgery and the other two are expected to follow. Handsy survived the removal and footsy should too.
Pages: 1 ... 2352 2353 [2354] 2355 2356 ... 3842