Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2348 2349 [2350] 2351 2352 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102210 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35235 on: June 29, 2014, 08:31:15 pm »

Zonshoveth is prospering.  I started DF a month ago and this is definitely my best fort yet, after dying horribly a few dozen times.  Just found copper, have a small 4 man squad, but all with legendary +5 skills and maxxed stats, about a hundred cage trap entrance tunnel and since I refused to trade until I had a descent squad, there are pages and pages of dead caravan items on the surface that im carting into the fort now.  I found it hilarious that they kept sending one caravan after another even though every single one got ambushed and slaughtered.

Just waiting for the first FB to show up so I can put my fort to the test, or at least a descent siege. 

EDIT: also, a hauler just gave birth deep in the mine, while hauling ore....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:51:42 pm by Gnomeknows »
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35236 on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »

Got the forgotten beast silk farm finished, and harvesting silk. Sure it isn't exactly valuable, but you sure can't beat taking advantage of a monstrous, terrifying beast for some nice silk clothes.
Z-0
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the repeater for the drawbridge a level lower, every 100 steps or so the bridge retracts and dumps the silk down a level for safe collection. The hole behind the wall goes down to where the bait is dumped, had a problem with dwarves running by the hole getting spooked so I went up a level and put in another hole directly above, preventing the silly buggers from being scared of the caged beasty.
Z -1
Here you see the collection bridge that retracts, the trap for the beast consisting of two raising bridges (the beast stands on one, it moved as the lever was pulled) and the door meant to keep him busy while the lever was pulled. The bait is a poult, dumped there from above.
Z -2
This level catches the silk after being dumped once, and every so often the lever on z-0 is pulled to drop it one level further. This step is needed to prevent "Urist McWeaver is struck in the head by the falling Forgotten Beast Silk, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!" messages. The side room collects any extra silk that happens to fall in the holes that prevent the bait from moving around too much.
Z -3
This is the final collection / harvesting area. The door is locked when the lever is pulled, keeping everyone safe from the deadly falling silk. Weavers then are allowed in to pick up the silk and turn them into threads, while master weavers produce fine masterwork cloth from the raw thread.

Currently have about 40 forgotten beast silk cloth and around 1500 uncollected webs/threads sitting around, after maybe a half season of collection.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #35237 on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »

Here in Troatknife we dont have iron, copper or coal, only galena and trees, so i made two marksdorfs squads and managed to fight back a lasrge siege with help of the human caravan who died quickly fought bravely for us, we will never forget them, most likely because we left their corpses to rot there and we see them everyday.

After the siege was broken a few elk birds went running around and my marks dorfs, who had already run out of bolts, had to chase them for a long while (helped by a bunch of war dogs).

When the last elk bird was dead one of the dorfs threw a tantrum and kicked the bird like 20 tiles, quite badass I must admit.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35238 on: June 30, 2014, 12:34:06 am »

Still in the process of giving all my dwarves 25-tile rooms. Many more to go. Also building a massive, spacious shopping district, space for 16 shops.<P>Just finished a large-ass "chasm" shaft that goes through the middle of my fort and out through the top of the mountain. Lets light in, and lets melancholy dwarves have a place to fall... which they have several times. Finished the main road area at the entrance of my fort. Large golden section, lined with a 1-tile wide border of aluminum. Very valuable, able to attract the king as soon as I offer the caravan a whole lot of goods.<P>Still have many large projects I can think of to do.

if i understand that correctly shouldent you be worried about the meloncholy dwarfs landing on your dwarfs when they jump down or did i misunderstand
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35239 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:05 am »

Still in the process of giving all my dwarves 25-tile rooms. Many more to go. Also building a massive, spacious shopping district, space for 16 shops.<P>Just finished a large-ass "chasm" shaft that goes through the middle of my fort and out through the top of the mountain. Lets light in, and lets melancholy dwarves have a place to fall... which they have several times. Finished the main road area at the entrance of my fort. Large golden section, lined with a 1-tile wide border of aluminum. Very valuable, able to attract the king as soon as I offer the caravan a whole lot of goods.<P>Still have many large projects I can think of to do.

if i understand that correctly shouldent you be worried about the meloncholy dwarfs landing on your dwarfs when they jump down or did i misunderstand

although considering the age of the post i quoted the auther himself probably dosent even remember

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35240 on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:27 am »

well the settlers of dolushnish after setting up there kitchens still masons and carpentry workshops to there horror discovered that the area seems to be completely inaccessible to trade wagons and are about to start searching for the problem and a dwarfy solution and they better do it fast the place is far to cold to be able to sustain itself

surely its a bad omen that a place that has a name which translates to borntrades isent able to trade
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:41:25 am by tuypo1 »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35241 on: June 30, 2014, 03:59:27 am »

well the settlers of dolushnish after setting up there kitchens still masons and carpentry workshops to there horror discovered that the area seems to be completely inaccessible to trade wagons and are about to start searching for the problem and a dwarfy solution and they better do it fast the place is far to cold to be able to sustain itself

surely its a bad omen that a place that has a name which translates to borntrades isent able to trade

oh wait i dident realise that it would say everywhere was inacessable untill the depot was built its all good

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35242 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:08 am »

Protip: Don't designate aaallllll the wood on your map for cutting, and create huge wood stockpiles in your fort.
Two years after embark, and it's still going.
I can never have enough wood. Almost all the time when starting out my fort there's always dwarves complaining about not having wood to build things, so when my fortress reach a certain size I have dedicated woodcutters and wood haulers (more than one in case they decided to go on a break) and cut every trees so that I don't have to care about cutting trees. It is only a problem when I forget about them during a siege and my woodcutters end up getting killed.

I wish there was a way to make woodcutters equip battleaxes all the time.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35243 on: June 30, 2014, 04:41:55 am »

I just had a horrible, horrible case of synchronicity. Very early in a fort (first autumn) a clothier went moody. Using dfhack by a process of elimination I figured out he needed wool. No sheeps, alpacas or anything for wool. So he had to just sweat it out until the caravan came. He made it, and I scanned the available wool for expensive pieces, and got some nice dimpled-dyed alpaca wool cloth. He grabbed two pieces and immediately went to work.

I finished trading and stuff then kind of started talking to the screen, saying something like "Lets hope this idiot makes something useful, but of course he's going to make an alpaca wool loincloth", and right as I said that, the screen popped up "Urist has made an alpaca wool loincloth!". I face-palmed.

On the bright side my Axelord the Militia Commander, has a nice new *sigh* alpaca wool loincloth. It had damn well better deflect a critical attack! On a less bright side for the brave fighting beards, In honour of this mighty artifact (and to ally my militia commanders considerable embarrassment) I've made loincloths standard issue for my military. The other's will just have to salvage troll fur loincloths from the gobbos.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:59:46 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35244 on: June 30, 2014, 04:43:11 am »

I just had a horrible, horrible case of synchronicity. Very early in a fort (first autumn) a clothier went moody. Using dfhack by a process of elimination I figured out he needed wool. No sheeps, alpacas or anything for wool. So he had to just sweat it out until the caravan came. He made it, and I scanned the available wool for expensive pieces, and got some nice dimpled-dyed alpaca wool cloth. He grabbed two pieces and immediately went to work.

I finished trading and stuff then kind of started talking to the screen, saying something like "Lets hope this idiot makes something useful, but of course he's going to make an alpaca wool loincloth", and right as I said that, the screen popped up "Urist has made an alpaca wool loincloth!". I face-palmed.

On the bright side my Axelord the Militia Commander, has a nice new *sigh* alpaca wool loincloth. It had damn well better deflect a critical attack! On a less bright side for the brave fighting beards, In honour of this mighty artifact (and to ally my militia commanders considerable embarrassment) I've made loincloths standard issue for my military. The other's will just have to salvage troll fur loincloths from the gobbos.
ftfy
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35245 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:58 am »

Well, my SOAPMAKER just finished a very long struggle in his obsession to create the world's finest turban.  ::)

Tithlethrumad, *Rumoreddull*, a giant kakapo leather turban
This is a giant kakapo leather turban. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
It is encrusted with round brilliant cut indigo tourmalines and decorated with giant kakapo leather. This object menaces with spikes of sheep leather and indigo tourmaline.
On the item is an image of windows in chert. (windows is my fort's "symbol", it turns out)
On the item is an image of Carminenoose the Pregnant Steel the chert armor stand in clear zircon. (a previous wooden-chert armor stand artifact)
On the item is an image of Quico Tempestclapped the elf and Uslot Ivoryglows the Jewel of Gold the dragon in rope reed fiber. Uslot Ivoryglows the Jewel of Gold is striking down Quico Tempestclapped. The artwork relates to the killing of the elf Quico Tempestclapped by the dragon Uslot Ivoryglows the Jewel of Gold in The Tin Murk in 93. (i already have a platinum statue of the same event lol)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35246 on: June 30, 2014, 06:04:20 am »

mafol fathdokolst, my legendary macedwarf just dropped dead in front of my booze station.

I don't know how that happened. He couldn't have died of thirst because the barracks directly below a stockpile of food and drink. He's certainly not old, at least less than 120. If an invasion or ambush happened, the game would have paused to let me see it and he could have handled it easily. I missed his death announcement so I don't know how he died.

My only guess would be from an infection he got 10 years ago on his right foot that never healed properly.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35247 on: June 30, 2014, 08:20:17 am »

I have a tantrum spiral going on, important tip DO NOT place your hospital in the main path to get around in your fortress, every berserker paths right through the hospital. On the bright side I apparently do not need more than 4 beds in my hospital.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35248 on: June 30, 2014, 08:35:11 am »

mafol fathdokolst, my legendary macedwarf just dropped dead in front of my booze station.

I don't know how that happened. He couldn't have died of thirst because the barracks directly below a stockpile of food and drink. He's certainly not old, at least less than 120. If an invasion or ambush happened, the game would have paused to let me see it and he could have handled it easily. I missed his death announcement so I don't know how he died.

My only guess would be from an infection he got 10 years ago on his right foot that never healed properly.

If it dropped out of the "a"nnouncement list before it timed out (normally takes a few months dwarftime), you could retrieve it from the gamelog.txt file in your main directory. If you don't clear them out regularly, those things have a nasty habit of getting slightly unwieldy, though; i've had it grow huge enough once that trying to open it crashed my text processor.

Of course, you could _also_ just engrave a slab in honour of the dwarf. This normally lists the cause of death.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35249 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46:56 am »

Somehow managed to flood half of my fort whilst digging a moat. I only lost eight guys though, so it's OK.

What isn't OK is having a guy die of dehydration. In the meeting area. Not less than 20 tiles from the alcohol stockpile.

My mason died on top of a barrel of alcohol... Major facepalm moment.

Farming still eludes me. I have 9 underground 3x3 farms, set to various plant that I have seeds for. Not sure if we're producing more resources than we're burning.

How many farmers do you have? You typically will want 1-3 farmers with high skill. Any low-leveled dwarf is actually counter-productive.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 2348 2349 [2350] 2351 2352 ... 3842