Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2335 2336 [2337] 2338 2339 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101043 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35040 on: June 18, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »

I rarely hurt nonhostiles on purpose unless they're...

1. Elves
2. Annoying
3. Elves

Because screw elves.
"Annoying" usually means something like a caravan guard who killed random crap for no reason, in which case the military isn't readied, but instead lots and lots of magma and/or drawbridges and/or floors.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35041 on: June 18, 2014, 04:31:50 pm »

I suppose it's because I've never reached the point where an Elf will decide I've chopped too many trees and tell me not to chop any more, but I don't really HATE elves. I find them a convenient source for wood for charcoal (I'm sure they'd LOVE that idea) on maps with no coke-making materials.
But I do have plans to kill elves whenever necessary....Starting and ending with a wooden minecart on a wooden track, fill with logs, pointing at a long, narrow, wooden room. The rest involves !!physics!!, a minecart shotgun, and lots of logs in said minecart shotgun system. Oh, and some wooden bridges, I suppose.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35042 on: June 18, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »

Ah.  So recently I was complaining of not playing for a few weeks and forgetting my objectives.  An example is not digging a pressure breaker in my lower Public Statue Garden.

"Dwarven Child Catten McBlehlah organizes a party at the <<*Andesite Statue*>>."

Kewl, I will turn on my mist-fall, and prep a puppy.

"Dwarven 'Spiderbaits', loomworker, cancels attend party, drowning."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:50:01 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35043 on: June 18, 2014, 04:52:11 pm »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, spring has sprung and I've got 34 new dwarves! And only six of them are kids!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:59:58 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35044 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:06 pm »

"Dwarven Child Catten McBlehlah organizes a party at the <<*Andesite Statue*>>."

Kewl, I will turn on my mist-fall, and prep a puppy.

"Dwarven 'Spiderbaits', loomworker, cancels attend party, drowning."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see the mist fall is working well.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35045 on: June 18, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »

Nobody seems to be making clay bricks despite there being a few people with the labor the wiki says is required (furnace operator). Strangely, one of them decided to smelt ore into metal when I cancelled another operator's job.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35046 on: June 18, 2014, 06:39:21 pm »

I'm about 99.9% sure that clay bricks are made by potters.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35047 on: June 18, 2014, 06:41:41 pm »

I see the mist fall is working well.
Well I should hope so.  I checked all of the children's bios and they each had a happy thought for it. ;) And most of them managed to live.  The miner and loomworker, however . . .

So I got sieged, but the gobos and assorted mounts decided to hang out and play nintendo by the edge of the map instead of kill the caravan.  So I extended my burrow to the Outside Depot.  Instead of following the straight lines I drew they took their usual meandering paths.  So, I suppose I learned that so long as a path to their objective exists they will go, and wont necessarily follow their burrows strictly.  hmmm.

--
Yup, its definitely pottery.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35048 on: June 18, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

What do you do when a beekeeper shows up in your fort? Kill them, conscript them?

Me, I start making glass hives and mead production. Sure, its time consuming, pointless, and generally silly, but in year one there sure isn't much else to do with the poor beekeeper, who doesn't mind standing in a swarm getting stung constantly.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35049 on: June 18, 2014, 08:12:28 pm »

For me, it's just send them into an industry I'm using in whatever fortress I'm in.
I'm thinking of finding a beekeeper in my glacier fort.
Because DFWiki is WRONG, and a honeybee hive spawned on the freaking glacier. That, or in the taiga/tundra area.
Either way, I believe that the dwarfs are to fault. I think a migrating beekeeper REALLY wanted a beehive, and thus broke the game to have one.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35050 on: June 18, 2014, 09:39:44 pm »

EDIT: No, I will not deliberately kill by own dwarves, unless they're actively harming my fortress (in which case there will be a glorious proletariat uprising).

It won't actually harm the children, as long as you kill the goblins quick enough. The goblins take all the force of the fall, leaving the children with little to no injuries. Of course, if some goblins are still alive, I can not guarantee they will survive AFTER the fall....
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35051 on: June 18, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »

It was a grim day indeed for Copper Snarling. We lost our greatest champion, a candy clad Axe Lord that was legendary in just about every melee related combat skill. He died in the most dishonorably pathetic manner imaginable. Apparently he somehow got stuck in a cage trap while sparing and then not a single of the 70 useless idling dwarves in the dining  room bothered to bring him some water for weeks on end. Thus ended the life of one of our greatest legends. After countless blood thirsty goblins and trolls failed to even scratch this living God, he fell to the gross incompetence of the very people he had spent the last decade protecting. They couldn't even be bothered to bring him a bucket of water despite the fact that his cage had ended up mere footsteps away from the well.

I think it would be a fitting punishment to entomb the designated water boy next to the legend he killed by refusing to do his only assigned labor which is to care for prisoners. This way the treacherous water boy can slowly starve and die of thirst the same way the Great Axe Lord did.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35052 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:45 pm »

Got ambushed by elven bladedancers decked out in mithril arms and armor, my trained squad died super quick, so I recruited 40 unarmed unarmored orcs and somehow not a single one died swarming the elfs and tearing their heads off.  Seemed odd, or lucky, or both. 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35053 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:57 am »

I did nearly the same thing to a werewolf. Actual werewolf, and not a were-octopus or something weird. Showed up right on the map edge and broke a promising ranger's neck in one swing. Fought a dog for an hour while I drafted everyone available and bum rushed him rallied the troops valiantly.

That ended well/poorly. At least two people have gone nuts as a result, and two were killed in the attack. I need a full time militia.

update: Oh my word this is not going well. one kid got a fell mood and ate my best(only) mason and engraver. Then he himself got abducted. The pasture grass has run out, the military has a ridiculous turnover, a ghost ripped off a guy's arm, and there are these horrible tree centaur things that keep showing up.

The Mi-go showed up in force with their awful everything and tore off some limbs. Thank goodness the caravan arrived at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:14:44 am by Agent_Irons »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35054 on: June 19, 2014, 08:04:15 am »

Accident with the modifications to the drowning pit ended up with two miners and masons drowned.

Liasons keep saying how nice the place is...

Kobold bowmen scared off the caravan - sendon caravan in two arrivals to bugger off cos of invaders :(

Finally remembered to order flux from the mountainhome.

Brook-fed mist generator / dwarven-shower / giant tap / works but quickly pummels those below with a torrent of 7/7 water. How can i reduce the flow-rate?

Pages: 1 ... 2335 2336 [2337] 2338 2339 ... 3842