Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105204 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3495 on: June 12, 2010, 05:23:51 am »

Started playing DF today after some time off. Alpha Centaury, MechWarrrior4:Mercs and Test Drive Unlimited kept me busy. Last version of DF I played was 31.04 so I gave .06 a try.

First, a couple of snapshots from the Legends:

About "blob" FGs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just look what he was associated with.
Just doesn't...feel right, right?

After checking a legends a bit, I found myself an embark spot. And it turned out it was good. Dwarfy good.

It has become my ongoing practice in .31. to dig down and starting magma-fueled industry before the end of the first spring.
And so I breached my first cavern orund level 18.
Soon, 2nd around lvl25.

And then - third. Around level 40 or so.

But it turns out 3rd caverns has a magma pool.
No.
TWO open magma pools.
Both Leading straight down to magma see.
And this cavern also has shinny blue ore.

All this might not be something really special, but I like it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: June 12, 2010, 12:00:24 pm »

I've been getting slightly bored with vanilla DF, so I decided to give Kobold Camp a go.

This is my current site. For all my gushing about major rivers a while back, I never imagined I'd see one made of this much win.

EDIT: Forgot to say: There's about nine z-levels between the major river at the bottom and the waterfall at the top.

It's a shame I'm wasting it on Kobolds and their little wooden huts dotting the surface.

Shoulda done the 39z level waterfall embark.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: June 12, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »

my first ever working weapon trap just got fired for the first time!

4 iron picks swinging around, attached to my exceptional marble mechanism, sliced a curious fox into several chunks.

Once I get my military working (now that i know how) I'll turn invaders back on!
(this is my first fort where I had access to a skilled mechanic early on)

I've already got my weaponsmith churning out some giant axe blades, since I made the approach to my fortess a winding path up the mountain, Dunharrow style.  I'm hoping to get some goblins to try and dodge, with nowhere to go but down to their deaths.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: June 12, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »

Im trying to fill a 6 z level bassin, but the water keeps dissapearing.
oh and a bear is drinking my booze
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:03:55 pm by sjaakwortel »
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: June 12, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »

That is by far the most dwarven bear ever.

So, it's year 2 now. My original miner died from a bridge collapsing incident that resulted in his body going crunch on the frozen canyon river, but since it's Kobold Camp that's not too damning.

Also, just got a migrant wave, one of them is a child. What interested me about her is the deity she worships: Cheebus.

The kobold god of forgiveness, appropriately enough.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: June 12, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »

Just entering into my 3rd year. I've dug deep enough to find a cavern which seems mostly abandoned (I spotted a troll at the start, but he wandered off, thats been about it) and I see a water source all the way at the bottom.  Now that towercaps and fungiwood are growing I'm expanding my irrigation down a z-level to make massive room for a wood source.

my masons have finally finished the roofing project over my entrance fort.  Since my embark site is completely flat, save for a small corner that goes down on level, the fort's been pretty important and we now have everything we need to survive any long sieges (even though I've only had one and my heroic dwarves ripped them to shreds) I've also finally found some flux, so steel is in production.

currently brooding over what to do on my forts roof, probably give my first go at making towers. the plan so far is just to build a shitload of siege engines and see how that works, which reminds me, can ballistae shoot through fortifications?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: June 12, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »

My Prisoner-Be-Gone 1000 is nearly ready. Just some more last minute smoothing and testing of the mechanisms and we're off to a multipurpose Magma/Drown trap!

It has enough room left in it to also later be used to farm obsidian, should I so desire.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: June 12, 2010, 02:19:43 pm »

...which reminds me, can ballistae shoot through fortifications?

Yes.  And in fact it is the recommended method of deployment.  Behind fortifications, with plenty of ammo nearby.  Note that in .31 siege engines are fairly underwhelming in the power department though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: June 12, 2010, 02:21:33 pm »

Ah.... A Successful test fire.

Unfortunately my cages are not magma safe, so That means I need to make a ton more...

but on the plus side everything else worked perfectly, all I need to do now is work out the long reset time due to magma evaporation being a pain.

*Mayor facepalms*

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: June 12, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »

MY ocean fortress just lost 10 dwarves due to booze depletion. I saved the rest with a well, but I'm not sure why this worked. The well is built over salt water, and according to the wiki wells don;'t purify salt water. Yet every Dwarf is happily drinking out of it with no problems. I'm not complaining.

Losing those 10 dwarves did have its benefits though. I was running low on food, since I was getting way to many migrants. Now I can establish the subterranean farm before everyone starts starving. The biggest problem is that most of the deaths were mason dwarves, which has slowed down my production of stone floors. It's taking me a lot longer to get the workshops and stockpiles set up than I thought. Though I guess this all just part of the FUN of building a fort over the ocean.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: June 12, 2010, 02:28:08 pm »

...which reminds me, can ballistae shoot through fortifications?

Yes.  And in fact it is the recommended method of deployment.  Behind fortifications, with plenty of ammo nearby.  Note that in .31 siege engines are fairly underwhelming in the power department though.
wonderful!
and thats fine, just means I need moar siege engines  ;D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: June 12, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

wonderful!
and thats fine, just means I need moar siege engines  ;D

Hope you have plenty of wood.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: June 12, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »

Unfortunately my cages are not magma safe, so That means I need to make a ton more...

but on the plus side everything else worked perfectly, all I need to do now is work out the long reset time due to magma evaporation being a pain.
Use grates instead of a floor. There'll be less magma that needs to evaporate and so the trap will be ready a lot quicker.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:41:38 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: June 12, 2010, 02:39:57 pm »

I just built my first pump stack and ice trap in the glacier fortress of Mansionmurdered, but hadn't quite linked up all the mechanisms when a combined goblin/kobold ambush bumped into some skeletal muskox on the surface.   Three of the gobbos dodged right into the open pit above the trap and fell stunned to the floor below, where my seven axelords swiftly dismembered them.  The first goblin squad to venture down my main entrance ramp were also butchered, at which point the survivors decided to flee, along with the kobolds (who weren't averse to making off with some fallen goblin equipment -- so much for alliances).  One goblin pikeman actually managed to drag himself off the map despite missing his left leg at the hip and his left arm at the shoulder.

The most useless elven caravan in the world then walked unconcernedly onto the map past the fleeing goblins and muskox remains, and brought their warthogs down to the trade depot, where they offered to trade... NOTHING (Mantis bug 0002253).  So it's off to breach the first cavern wall and cut some wood, despite the skinless eight-legged armadillo that's hiding down there.  Turns out he was quite happy to just sit in the water 10 tiles from my axelords, doing precisely nothing.  Bah.   My woodcutters hurriedly cut enough trees for the next year and then I sealed him back in.  So much for "Usu Echomenaced the Ruthlesness of Shadow".

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: June 12, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »

Use grates instead of a floor. There'll be less magma that needs to evaporate and so the trap will be ready a lot quicker.

What I'm using is a series of Hatches, so I can fill it up a good way, then dump it fast once everything is Cooked. It still leaves a 1/7 layer though.

*Mayor facepalms*

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 3842