Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105046 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3480 on: June 11, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »

sorry about all the white space. anyone know how to get rid of it?

In Windows, use alt+Printscreen instead of just Printscreen. That will take only the active window instead of the whole screen. You can also crop the image in your editor of choice.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »

In Windows, use alt+Printscreen instead of just Printscreen. That will take only the active window instead of the whole screen. You can also crop the image in your editor of choice.
wow i dint know that! awesome!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: June 11, 2010, 02:09:32 pm »

We are saved from Dema the undying steam beast, though the cost was high.

While a group of human caravan guards and some of the fort's war animals held the creatures attention, a space elevator was thrust into the sky. Upon reaching the Crystal Spheres, the Orbital 3 platform was built and Sodel Dastotiseth, Astro-Dwarf-1 was tasked with building the Bombardment Boom and Kinetic Payload. During this time thirst claimed refugees trapped outside as well as some of the brave combatants. Finally, all was ready!

Here we see brave Sodel loading the final touches on the payload. Due to shifts in the titan's position, the boom is oddly shaped.

Down below, the fighting continued... where was the payload? Where? Oh no, it seems the release mechanism has jammed! Sodel climbs out onto the weapon and hammers away at the release clamps! Will he be in time? Will he esca-

Okay.... note to self, safety tethers for Orbital 3 Platform...

The good news is not every creature fighting the titan died. And the titan is gone. Totally gone. No body, no death message. But gone. Now to clean up the mess of all the dead creatures, the stuff spooked dwarfs dropped, the remains of that siege that showed up in time for the military to work off their anger at being unable to kill the steam beast, the barricade of logs thrown up in the main hall to resolve pathfinding issues, the body of that human merchant who went mad waiting to leave and grabbed a dog and gouged at its eyes until the Militia Commander whipped him to death...

Tinrain's back to normal! :D
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: June 11, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »

I now have a badass she-dwarf that is particularly averse to elephants. She started out using a cross bow, with the hunting skill enabled. One time she killed an elephant using bolts, another she simply beat it to death with the crossbow. She apparently decided this wasn't painful enough, and switched to a steel pick, which she embedded in an elephant, then twisted it repeatedly, occasionally wresting it free and striking again. She killed two elephants that way, earning a total of three. Apparently that was too quick a death for them, however, so she dropped the pick and resorted to bashing them to death with her bronze shield, earning her legendary in misc. object user. This, like the crossbow, was not painful enough. So she dropped the shield, and proceeded to kill a couple more with her bare hands without choking them. That would be too easy. She is now a high master marks dwarf, novice archer(somehow), legendary fighter, novice wrestler, legendary misc. object user, adequate miner (no previous experience mining), and adequate shield user. The whole time she wore nothing but leather armor, and recieved no wounds despite fighting as many as three elephants at a time. She is attached to the crossbow and the pick now. Also, for some reason, she'll use the pick or the cross bow to take down goats, if I change settings in the military screen, but no matter what I do when I tell her to attack elephants now, she drops pretty much everything and either beats them with her shield, or punches them to death.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3484 on: June 11, 2010, 03:33:02 pm »

I got a sudden wave of 24 immigrants with absolutely no accomodations ready for them. I've never built so many living quarters in so little time  :o

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: June 11, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »

wow i dint know that! awesome!

Yeah. It's amazing how many times I've encoutered a problem and found out Windows already had the solution. Say what you like about Windows's flaws, but you can't deny it has a lot of polish.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: June 11, 2010, 03:35:54 pm »

I got a sudden wave of 24 immigrants with absolutely no accomodations ready for them. I've never built so many living quarters in so little time  :o
I've had this before, doubled my population. It's the sucky thing about migrants.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:09 pm »

Once, my first wave was 8, which wasn't too bad. The second was 52. That fort didn't even have the new HFS.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »

8 of my 10 military dwarves have spine/neck injuries. 1 is a swordsmaster, another a mace lord. both are completely encased in crucible steel, and will never train again.

I think it's time for them to do a butch cassidy with an orc siege playing the bolivian army.

Also, my speardwarf has received his second head wound in quick succession. poor bloke. At least all the military migrants will be able to bulk out my military with something other than marksdwarves.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: June 11, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »

My fort just died. Had around 120 pop.

How?

A forgotten beast came from below, and I sent my military to fight it. It breathed poison on my entire army. The poison caused them to rot. My hospital was filled to the brim with miasma-producing every-single-bodypart-is-rotting soldiers. Then the beast came up and started killing everything. Eventually my fort was full of miasma from all the infected and then the beast's pathfinding got fucked up, causing it to not come to the surface where the human trade guards might have killed it, so my last chance of killing it didn't work. Then I had to abandon.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: June 11, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »

I now have a badass she-dwarf that is particularly averse to elephants. She started out using a cross bow, with the hunting skill enabled. One time she killed an elephant using bolts, another she simply beat it to death with the crossbow. She apparently decided this wasn't painful enough, and switched to a steel pick, which she embedded in an elephant, then twisted it repeatedly, occasionally wresting it free and striking again. She killed two elephants that way, earning a total of three. Apparently that was too quick a death for them, however, so she dropped the pick and resorted to bashing them to death with her bronze shield, earning her legendary in misc. object user. This, like the crossbow, was not painful enough. So she dropped the shield, and proceeded to kill a couple more with her bare hands without choking them. That would be too easy. She is now a high master marks dwarf, novice archer(somehow), legendary fighter, novice wrestler, legendary misc. object user, adequate miner (no previous experience mining), and adequate shield user. The whole time she wore nothing but leather armor, and recieved no wounds despite fighting as many as three elephants at a time. She is attached to the crossbow and the pick now. Also, for some reason, she'll use the pick or the cross bow to take down goats, if I change settings in the military screen, but no matter what I do when I tell her to attack elephants now, she drops pretty much everything and either beats them with her shield, or punches them to death.

It's like HollisticDetective from Headshoots visited Boatmurdered for a small amount of time before coming to your fort in a disguise.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: June 11, 2010, 09:55:08 pm »

My fort just died. Had around 120 pop.

How?

A forgotten beast came from below, and I sent my military to fight it. It breathed poison on my entire army. The poison caused them to rot. My hospital was filled to the brim with miasma-producing every-single-bodypart-is-rotting soldiers. Then the beast came up and started killing everything. Eventually my fort was full of miasma from all the infected and then the beast's pathfinding got fucked up, causing it to not come to the surface where the human trade guards might have killed it, so my last chance of killing it didn't work. Then I had to abandon.

Aw, that sucks. Mine just went kersplat too, because some of the dwarves wouldn't path to the water source and dehydrated, for whatever reason.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:55 pm »

A mood produced this wonderful artifact:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: June 12, 2010, 03:00:10 am »

I have this steady supply of exceptional mechanisms.  would that make crossbow traps effective?

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: June 12, 2010, 03:58:57 am »

I've been getting slightly bored with vanilla DF, so I decided to give Kobold Camp a go.

This is my current site. For all my gushing about major rivers a while back, I never imagined I'd see one made of this much win.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to say: There's about nine z-levels between the major river at the bottom and the waterfall at the top.

It's a shame I'm wasting it on Kobolds and their little wooden huts dotting the surface.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:04:08 am by Batta »
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 3842