Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098899 times)

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34650 on: May 23, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

Just added child tags for the breeding pair of giant desert scorpions i stole from the elves.  I will keep their offspring chained to the inner wall to protect the trade depot from hordes of elves (modded to use dwarf grade metals) that are surely on their way after butchering so many caravans.   With 100 dwarves defended by the worst militia i have ever seen this probably wont end well.

Side note, i tried forbiding and dumping all of the hoods from my military dwarves but they still wont wear helmets, should i remove their caps as well?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34651 on: May 23, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »

Yes, caps are the problem. They count as helmets.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34652 on: May 23, 2014, 05:17:31 pm »

Got an undead siege and all that shows up is one dark strangler corpse. Just one!
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34653 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »

Just added child tags for the breeding pair of giant desert scorpions i stole from the elves.  I will keep their offspring chained to the inner wall to protect the trade depot from hordes of elves (modded to use dwarf grade metals) that are surely on their way after butchering so many caravans.   With 100 dwarves defended by the worst militia i have ever seen this probably wont end well.

Side note, i tried forbiding and dumping all of the hoods from my military dwarves but they still wont wear helmets, should i remove their caps as well?

Caps are the problem. Caps and helms can't be worn at the same time.

E: Ninja'd. Didn't notice the comment above.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34654 on: May 24, 2014, 01:50:11 am »

Well the goblin king was elected mayor, and the duke never asks for anything so I guess I won't have to worry about mandates anymore.

However, with the arrival of the king the fort's security will need to be increased significantly. To this end I've begun work on an inescapable maximum security prison which when completed will be completely submerged in magma with levers to cut off access to the main fort and flood the cells with magma in the event of a breakout. The only prisoner I have at the moment is a goblin thief who happened to wander into one of the five random cage traps I scattered around the map to catch wild animals, but I'm sure more will show up eventually.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34655 on: May 24, 2014, 08:55:28 am »

In the wreckage of my last fort, destroyed by a tantrum spiral brought on by a hard winter, a vampire with no combat skills whatsoever just killed a forgotten beast made of Olivine. Single-handedly. With an iron battle axe.

Well, that was a good ending.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34656 on: May 24, 2014, 10:52:03 am »

Through a stroke of sheer luck, an untrained peasant managed to make a well-crafted silver mace.
On their first try.
I think it has something to do with the dark gnome corpses that had to be subdued by our military in some way.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34657 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:50 pm »

Today one of my dwarves was possessed and immediately started running from the kitchen area towards the craftsdwarf's workshops. I lamented, worrying for another artifact chalk mug or something equally stupid and useless- but to my surprise (and joy) she sprinted past them and nestled firmly in the metalsmith's forge. Checking the dwarf's preferences, I noticed a fondness for Armor Stands, but all the same hoped for a piece of artifact armor, or better yet, an artifact weapon!

Well, I got what I wanted, but with one little caveat.

You're a cheeky little shit, Iden, but thank you for the kickass sword.
This space for rent

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34658 on: May 24, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »

What are even the chances of that!!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34659 on: May 24, 2014, 03:08:52 pm »

I'm starting to suspect there is some weird teleportation going on in my fort... monsters and other stuff keep getting found in places where they shouldn't be able to get normally. So far there's been at least three strange Twilight Zone moments in this fort:

- A herbalist basically just dissolved while on the surface. At first I thought this was just some more extreme form of cave adaptation; then I found a spatter of some Forgotten Beast frozen extract on herbalist's bare foot. A discarded shoe was at the other end of the blood trail left by her meltdown. That should close the case then, but at the moment there hadn't been any such FBs outside the sealed third cavern. The cavern was just sloshing with the extract but I couldn't figure out any way the herbalist could get any on her, on the surface. After that I cheated a bit and used DFHack 'clean all' to get rid of the goo; gained a cool ten FPS from it, too.

- A magma crab materialized right in the middle of my forges, spewing basalt and killing a furnace operator. All openings to magma were closed and to my knowledge there shouldn't have been any routes for the crab to get into fortress. Unless they can move through semi-molten rock. They can't, right? Right?

- A planter was ambushed and killed by a Forgotten Beast deep down in an adamantine mining shaft, near the magma flow. I suspect the FB was one of the residents of the Third Cavern Forgotten Beast Sanctuary but again, I couldn't find any way it could have entered the shaft, diagonally or otherwise. Two of the militia Legendaries got blinded by the poisonous vapors while defeating the monster.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34660 on: May 24, 2014, 06:48:57 pm »

- A magma crab materialized right in the middle of my forges, spewing basalt and killing a furnace operator. All openings to magma were closed and to my knowledge there shouldn't have been any routes for the crab to get into fortress. Unless they can move through semi-molten rock. They can't, right? Right?

Are your magma forges covering the entrance to the magma sea (assuming you are using them) otherwise creatures from there can climb up through the gap with out a ramp to do so.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34661 on: May 24, 2014, 07:50:59 pm »

Current Fort is doing well and had been stuck at 200+ dwarves for some time though I really want to clean up all of the broken bolts stuck outside the fort. As for others matters, it turns that for the eight years that had passed in my fort, I had been neglecting to explore the depths more thoroughly.

You see, after setting up my dodge traps and an upright spear, I realized that with only one Z-level, said spears wouldn't do any damage at all to an enemy. However, that thing was located directly in my flooding chambers used for farming and I couldn't channel downwards since the drainage was located just below.

As a compromise, I decided to connect said traps to levers after neglecting them for some time. Upon opening up the option to connect the Lever to said spears, I discover this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope to eventually find and tackle it in the near future.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:53:47 pm by Crimson »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34662 on: May 24, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »

There is just a giant trail of vomit and blood leading from my warpstone-filled WIP stockpile room and the makeshift hospital. I feel bad for the one lonely peasant who was unlucky enough to be idling right now.

Edit: Oh look, I made the stockpile ON A CAVE. AGAIN. Why does this keep happening?!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:11:50 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34663 on: May 25, 2014, 12:33:25 am »

A weaponsmith got possessed and so I decided to ensure that he would get my only platinum bar. He decided to start with pig iron which I promptly forbid once it got to his claimed workshop though the platinum bar was no where to be found so I placed a stockpile for it just beside the workshop. Took a few more forbidding of stuff and eventually, the bar arrived and he took it. Of course, he was also taking some gems in between so I forbid those as well just to buy some time but once he got the bar, I quickly unforbid those.

The end result...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34664 on: May 25, 2014, 03:17:34 am »

Platinum war hammer. That will do some damage!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.
Pages: 1 ... 2309 2310 [2311] 2312 2313 ... 3842