Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2305 2306 [2307] 2308 2309 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098380 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34590 on: May 17, 2014, 07:35:02 pm »

Massive siege. Only two who survived were the manager and her child.

They only survived because she was in her office at the time, and I was able to lock the doors.

Unfortunately, there is still a squad of troll roaming about the level above, and I can't do anything until they get bored and leave. Hopefully that happens before the manager succumbs to thirst or insanity.

E: Trolls left. Mandrills came and took most of my militia's armour, not that they need it anymore. My manager should be setting up coffins like I told her to, but instead she's putting things away in stockpiles.

E2: Kidnapper made off with the manager's child by taking it right out of her hands as she worked, and then an ambush came. Game over.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:08:35 pm by BlackFlyme »

nzybwnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34591 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:00 am »

A dozen puppies were burnt alive in their wooden cage by a forgotten beast. Now what are we supposed to eat?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34592 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:54 am »

Hello all, this is my first post, although I've been lurking here for a while.

Dwarven metropolis "Palacedeserts" is now over twenty years old which makes it the longest surviving of my forts. Palacedeserts is built around the first cavern layer and is now mostly self-sufficient on almost everything. Caravans are still encouraged to visit the fort, mainly for garbage disposal purposes.

After one such visit I now have horses living inside the walls of the main spiral ramp leading to trade depots. They are the result of an unfortunate diplomatic incident involving two wagons stuck to each other and a militia squad sent to deal with the matter. As always, one thing led to another; wagons were scuttled, blood was spilled, and somehow the horses pulling one wagon ended up stuck inside the wall and unable to get out.

The horses seem to be happy where they are. They aren't getting hungry or melancholy, even after several months. One of them just gave birth to a foal.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:55:37 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34593 on: May 19, 2014, 08:17:05 am »

A dozen puppies were burnt alive in their wooden cage by a forgotten beast. Now what are we supposed to eat?
Cats of course. Poor puppies.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34594 on: May 19, 2014, 01:35:35 pm »

I have learned an important lesson.

It's very much possible to coat all the map edges in obsidian. But if you do that, despite the fact that there's a perfectly good surface all around the edge of the map, nothing can get in. No invaders, no wildlife, no caravans, no nothin'. And since you can't dig at the edge of the map, there's not much left you can do about it.

Now I have to decide whether to abandon or to savescum six years back and start over.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34595 on: May 19, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »

Use DFhack's liquids to open up a single block (or three) of space and trap it to all hell.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34596 on: May 19, 2014, 04:17:44 pm »

Use DFhack's liquids to open up a single block (or three) of space and trap it to all hell.
I don't think liquids does that, does it? And tiletypes at the edge just crashed the game.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34597 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:17 pm »

Use obsidian floors (of). It worked for me once.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34598 on: May 19, 2014, 05:52:46 pm »

Use obsidian floors (of). It worked for me once.
Well, that might work, but as soon as I do so my FPS drops from its usual 30 to 6 and won't go back up. I'll never get to the next caravan this way.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34599 on: May 19, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »

I don't know what I did, but I think this world may have something wrong with it.

I'm getting nondescript "trees" and "shrubs" growing around the area. They look like big red T's and V's, respectively. When cut down or harvested they always leave nothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items are randomly becoming inaccessible. I can see them on the screen, but when I try to look at them with 'k', it only mentions the floor. Sometimes they will become viewable again, and sometimes go back to being un-viewable. I've tried using various designations, including hide/un-hide and forbid/reclaim, but they don't seem to help.

Water seems to be contaminating everything when it rains. Rain washes itself off of creatures, leaving water smears on the floor. Animals in the river are having the water that covers them wash off repeatedly, and I can see it flowing down river.

I'm also a bit concerned with whoever thought it was a good idea to do this:

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34600 on: May 19, 2014, 06:20:23 pm »

Why are you complaining about the food part?
Butchering sentients = more food.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34601 on: May 19, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »

Why are you complaining about the food part?
Butchering sentients = more food.

You missed the part where the food is in an iron chest. The chest itself is inside of a wooden pot.

The chest only had the sabre and the emerald, originally.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:27:32 pm by BlackFlyme »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34602 on: May 19, 2014, 07:13:02 pm »

A bunch of dwarfs decided that removing impulse ramps is best done while standing on one. Much fun was had because of course, minecarts were nearby, which got deconstruction-teleported on top of the ramps the idiots were standing on. Fortunately, only one dwarf was hit properly. In the head.

Fortunately, the attack was severe and she was flimsy enough that her upper spine's bone was shattered.

Yep, she survived without trouble, just took a bit of fixing up in the hospital. If the bone hadn't broken, she'd have been dead.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34603 on: May 19, 2014, 07:31:37 pm »

Everything seems to be normal now, aside from a few items that refuse to be recognized. There are still water smears cropping up every now and then, but it isn't as bad as before. I haven't even seen any of the "trees" or "shrubs" in a while.

A kid fell into a pool when it thawed and drowned, despite the fact that they were standing on the exit ramp. I had them put in a coffin then I had the coffin tossed into the pool.

One of the citizens has a custom paladin secret that I had made. I tried giving them interactions to buff themselves and others, but I should have done more to limit when these buffs can be used. He won't stop touching people as they try to pass by him. It seems kind of awkward, but he's pretty enthusiastic about it.

The game is crashing a lot though.

E: I think it may be related to butchering historical figures. It seems to be crashing most often when I try to take apart a snatcher's corpse.

E2: I think it was a bad idea to mess with what seasons plants grow in. Every winter all the shrubs on the map spontaneously die. Since they won't disappear on their own, they end up clogging space that could be taken up by new plants.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:26:06 pm by BlackFlyme »

Zurick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34604 on: May 19, 2014, 09:26:21 pm »

Eagerly attempted to tame a bunch of naked mole dogs using an unskilled dorf.

Four months and a bunch of puppies later, one of them goes wild. Dorf is super-upset because his 'animal training partner' got killed. More dogs revert back to the wild state. Whoops.

The room's been sealed off for a couple of years now. A bunch of the mole dogs are now 'missing', but the rest keep breeding. Either they can't starve, or I'm just not being notified of it.
Pages: 1 ... 2305 2306 [2307] 2308 2309 ... 3842