Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2304 2305 [2306] 2307 2308 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098391 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34575 on: May 14, 2014, 11:44:23 pm »

Nothing exciting, really. I embarked on a volcano site and ended up finding boatloads of gold and iron while also getting lots of immigrants showing up in large waves. Survived a few sieges by waiting them out inside of my walls, and then ended up finding marble about forty z-levels down, several levels before the first cavern. Danger Room trained my militia to legendary status in their shiny steel armour and now my Militia Commander has over thirty-six kills to her credit without ever taking a wound, one of those kills being a dragon. Paved a few roads with gold, kept finding more gold, churned out gold crafts by the bin and ended up started up a pretty decent tailoring and glass making industry in addition to my metalworking. Now I'm a Mountainhome, it's 13 years since embark, have 400+ dwarves in the volcanic halls of Rigothshukar (nearly 1/4 of which are serving full-time in the militia), and I've started building an apartment tower complex out of clear glass and basalt above the ramparts of my walls, and I haven't seen a Goblin Siege, Titan, or FB in two whole years.

In my other fortress, however, things are a lot more interesting. I've got undead and gobbos outside my walls fighting each other and a large zoo and animal training ground under the earth. I even started up a lion breeding program and one day hope to have a few massive prides of war lions ready to reduce my foes to scraps.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34576 on: May 15, 2014, 06:46:51 am »

My baroness is miserable.
I knew I forgot to do something...

TIme to construct the happiness room.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34577 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

My baroness is miserable.
I knew I forgot to do something...

TIme to construct the happiness room.

Is "happiness" a euphemism?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34578 on: May 15, 2014, 03:56:29 pm »

Actually, no.
However, the other happiness room that I'll build is.

Crud, the baroness went berserk.
I hope the door to her room can be connected to a lever before stuff happens.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34579 on: May 15, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »

I'm trying to recuperate after a bronze colossus attack. I had 50+ dwarves, now about half that. Luckily, they survived because the colossus was busy killing the 40+ kittens and puppies, along with about 3/4ths of my military (all wusses because I'm afraid to let them spar... I'm reconsidering. Let all dwarves that get mortal wounds die!).

What version have you been playing? They'll be fine if you let them spar, just make sure they all have proper protection  to avoid potentially fatal wrestling accidents.

EDIT: And Eastmark model one is down, thanks to some asshole married couple who brought their kids and attracted a super mutant snatcher who, due to there being a very sizable gap in traffic between the surface and underground with there being only 11 people, decided to rear his ugly head in the dining area. Fast forward to three dead people, six wounded, a kid in a bag, and a kid locked outside the dining area. Me being the bitch I am, saved it and shoved it into the recycling bin. That kid had no way of surviving to next spring and there was nobody available to treat the injured to bring in the crops.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34580 on: May 15, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »

Well, the good news is that my crack soldier is slaying the berserker.
Stark Raving Mad and Melancholy people will be much easier to deal with. I'll just let them do whatever since a suicidal fallen angel is much safer than one that attacks everything.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34581 on: May 15, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

What are your fallen angels, exactly?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34582 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:30 pm »

Well, fallen angels are solid adamantine human-sized six armed humanoids that don't need to eat, breathe, drink, and aren't living.
For this world, I let them emote.
You saw what happened.
That was epic.
A soldier, armed with a double-original weapon (self-made metal and weapon) took down an insane baroness.
The baroness was adamantine like everybody else.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34583 on: May 16, 2014, 11:55:02 am »

Testing a modded race, and the fort is going quite well. Got iron and coal, but the first cavern layer is mysteriously absent. However, one of my militia is turning out to be quite awesome. He got cornered by a blind cave ogre, but shot off its hand, slashed of its other arm with his bladed longbow (basically a bow with a sword taped to it) and as the ogre ran away, shot it in the back of the head. He also killed a GCS by sneaking behind it while it was eating a mechanic, and shot off a few legs before shooting it in the head.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34584 on: May 16, 2014, 07:53:11 pm »

I've had the most quiet 2 years of a fort, EVER.  Except maybe that one calm island embark . . .

I've the usually non-trap avoid thieves and snatchers, a few trap-avoids, and even an upset polar bear or two.  And keamen.

Keas stole a masterpiece pick and my 'blacksmith' flipped out, baby in one hand, a fist in the other.  She had some waterfall therapy, and the canal I dug for the planned statue garden in the treefarm broke a miners arm.

My mayor has banned the exports of maces and backpacks specifically.  Guess what he does for a living ::) .

I've butchered over 40 creatures thus far, and have am just prepping the cavern entrance now.  The other entrance is the waterfall drainage which is, lamentably, completely safe with its awesome grate over it.  Even my water supply is safe, as it is a cistern drawn from a brook.

I have enough iron and silver to equip a small army, and enough silver maces to give all my lethal weapon traps a bit of a !thwump!.

All in all, very peculiar.  No FB, no siege, no issues trading.  and Most confounding, no season 5 population surge.  My migration waves have all been small, except for season 6; with 30 migrants (a very manageable number compared to the 50 I sometimes often very frequently see).  We only just passed 100 dwarves, and had 4 birth only.

So I have a healthy fort with a condensed build and even managed some segregation already.  {yawn}

I dont get it.  Ive even lowered the min reqs of a megabeast attack, and added an extra antagonists race at worldgen.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:57:47 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34585 on: May 16, 2014, 08:06:57 pm »

While carving off the excess rock from the cave above ground in order to make a tower of natural rock, a miner was crushed under a falling floor I overlooked somehow. How I missed it when they've been carving ramps upwards, one level at a time is beyond me.

Second miner was digging out some hematite for some new migrants to process and equip themselves with, and a troll wandered up from below and smashed her lower spine. She should have been okay, but for whatever reason she simply laid in the dirt, off in a corner and dehydrated.

Two coffins and no one whining over the loss of two random migrants who hadn't even greeted anyone on their way into the fort is okay by me.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34586 on: May 16, 2014, 09:41:48 pm »

Okay, so my awesome militia Triopsian got gored in the face by a minotaur, but I gave her (didn't realize it was a she) a nice slab commemorating her awesomeness. No less than THREE recruits were instakilled by crundles, but the first goblin siege passed without deaths, even with drathlas tearing up the cavern barracks at the same time. I also noticed chitin takes a ton of steps to fix up in the hospital. Oh well, more experienced doctors!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34587 on: May 16, 2014, 10:11:02 pm »

There is a mandrill in the water pumping station. How did a mandrill get in there?

The station is completely closed off from the outside. To get there it had to go through my fort.

Why did it go there? The area is empty, save for a screw pump, an unused millstone, and two windmills.

E: Two titans have come so far. First was steam, and the second was snow.

A merchant and his yak just went SRM and melancholic literally one tile from the edge of the map. I don't even know how they managed to take that long to leave, since I don't have any mazes or any structures whatsoever that they would have to navigate around to make it to the depot. All of my beards are gunning it to go take the yak's pack. I guess that makes it all mine now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:42:15 am by BlackFlyme »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34588 on: May 17, 2014, 02:13:52 pm »

I had a mason build some floor wrongly. A cave in happened and he fell through 6 z-levels of dwarves masonry to land directly on a weaver in the main thoroughfare.

So, that was a thing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Revlakius Javensky

• Bay Watcher
  • The New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34589 on: May 17, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »

My woodcrafter/woodcutter had a strange mood, and I didn't have what he needed (kinda new, don't know how to Metal), and he committed suicide. I kinda feel bad, he was one of my starters... :(
~ I have no signature
Pages: 1 ... 2304 2305 [2306] 2307 2308 ... 3842