Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2302 2303 [2304] 2305 2306 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098230 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34545 on: May 12, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

Clearly it's terrifying due to the horrible hallucinogenic properties of the mists and the inherent creepiness of the surroundings. Also, it comes with a years-delayed contagious bleeding symptom, or something of the like.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34546 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:54 pm »

Getting back into DF after a hiatus, and decided to do a SPC.

Turns out, it's the least terrifying biome ever to bear the title terrifying.  No reanimation, haven't yet seen any undead (up to Autumn, first year), and the only weather is a fog that makes creatures... dizzy.

Disappointing, really.

Clearly it's terrifying due to the horrible hallucinogenic properties of the mists and the inherent creepiness of the surroundings. Also, it comes with a years-delayed contagious bleeding symptom, or something of the like.

Taking all bets for the inevitable unexplained death syndrome!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34547 on: May 12, 2014, 01:51:37 pm »

If only.  Seriously, the creepiest thing to wander by has been a herd of elk.  Elk, ffs.  Not even particularly ill-tempered elk.  Le sigh.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34548 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »

About to embark upon my stupidest military plan yet. Maces. maces everywhere. Crossbows for backup but otherwise maces. Maces of all kinds. Flails, morningstars, regular old knobbed things, flanges, and rods. Maces for all. First time I've played largely unmodded DF in ages really. And this time the only mod was the inclusion of flails and morningstars for dwarves.

EDIT

The Vigorous Helms of The Regal Construct have established a small outpost known to the world (or soon to be known, I should say,) as Rivergranite. It was set up in one of the few locations in the world not laden with aquifer after aquifer. And what a site they decided on! Dolomite and Hematite have been found near the surface, below a hillside of clay loam and yellow sand, meaning  pottery and glassmaking are possible as well and the militia will be well armed from the get go.

There is a danger however.

Nearby, two towers lurk, their necromancers having become bored these past few decades. Crossbows and maces will likely prove the best deterrent, keeping limbs from flying and becoming more foes and collapsing the enemy in a few shots/blows.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34549 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:53 pm »

Hey, I have a fort in an evil glacier where the local mists make things dizzy and numb for 2 days or so.

seaturtlehorsesnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34550 on: May 12, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »

so with some... well, cheating using dfhack you can embark on structures. embarking on a tomb is strange. i accidentally upset one of the buried fellows, who has since disappeared. can't find him, but the corpses in the tomb seemed to have teleported themselves outside.

mysteries.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34551 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:53 pm »

A Giant wolverine just ripped my hunter's left arm off.  She passes out and it calms down and wanders off.  Instead of going to the hospital after waking, she picks up her crossbow and chases it down.

>.<
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:13:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34552 on: May 12, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »

Breeding cave crocodiles to make the most hilarious forces ever.
I want to see cave crocodiles shred elves down AND I WILL LAUGH.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34553 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »

Well Mountainhome Orbsdream has begun manufacturing adamanite In large quantities however I do not like making weapons out of adamanite and I have instead begun created furniture such as statues and such for my great people we have defended ourselves from several goblin sieges 3 human sieges and the soon to be elven sieges we shall not fall.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34554 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:46 am »

Well, my cement pond is completely poured. The edges of my map are completely obsidian'd off. I didn't get a caravan this winter; that worries me.

I am now facing the goal of building a castle on top of the artificial lake, which has not at this time been filled. I have a choice: pour a huge block of obsidian and carve it, or build it out of the thousands upon thousands of quartzite blocks I have. I like white much better than gray, but constructing a massive-scale castle out of blocks is going to suck. Mostly because floors and walls are incompatible. I do have a 35x28x5 tank of magma already in the sky. Hmm.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34555 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:31 am »

My venture into signal-less logic based on minecart collisions continues. The most recent achievement is a crude full adder:

There are three binary "inputs" in use:
A - weight of the cart pushed from the left side (zinc = 0, lead = 1)
B - weight of the cart pushed by the first cart (gold = 0, lead = 1)
C - path over which the cart gets pushed towards the collision (push south =0, push east = 1)

The collision-acceptor cart ends up on one of the four paths to the right - 00, 01, 10 or 11, according to the inputs. I've tested it repeatedly for all possible combinations.

On the eastern push path, the cart goes over two more ramps and doesn't lose the push speed. This speed advantage is enough to result in a "one higher" output pattern; i had expected needing much more speed and had thus built more ramps, which i then had to bridge over.
Input combinations of zinc-(any)-short, lead-gold-short and zinc-gold-long (0+0+0, 0+1+0, 1+0+0 and 0+0+1 binary) result in below-derail speed after the collision, letting the collided cart roll onto the track ramp below, which provides another speed-based bifurcation. All higher speed combinations result in derail speed of the outgoing cart, all but the highest are still slow enough that they get caught and diverted (to the level above) by the two SW corner ramps on the eastern branch, only the fastest cart gets past them and takes the last corner.

Both pushing and pushed cart return to their starting positions by themselves. The "output" consists of setting or not setting the "sum" bit (cart in the southeast) and the "carry" bit (cart in the east).

Oddities: The wall directly north of the pushed cart is _required_. Without it, the slowest output doesn't work. Notably, the tile directly north of the cart's starting position is required, which on face value should have no influence on the behaviour on a cart on a NSEW ramp one tile southeast of it. The pushed cart thus gets returned by lifting it to the level above and then dropping it into place.

PS: i've built the basic hookups to pass the carry on to the next adder in line. I guess i'll have to go and build the mandatory eight-bit adder based on this thing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:33:24 pm by Larix »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34556 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:21 am »

a werezebra showed up, strangled a child half to death and bit it, then turned into a naked goblin and ran away.  The child was quarantined and died of dehydration.

The first cavern layer seems to be 50 levels below the surface.  This is a bit annoying.  The surface has thin soil layers and is freezing.  I'll have to move water from the caverns a long way up, or I'll need to dig down from the surface quite a bit to construct my freezing traps.

Wells are constructed.  I've also built a spiral ramp from the main part of my fortress near the surface down to the first cavern layer, where I will construct the majority of the fortress proper.  The top of the spiral ramp is defensible.  It is separated from the upper fortress by a narrow chasm and bridge.  It will extend down through the first cavern layer, but will not have direct access to the caverns.

I've made quite a bit of steel and iron, I have some basic iron armors, weapons, and menacing spikes.  A recent migrant wave means I no longer have any excuse to further procrastinate on organizing the militia.

The elves brought sunberries.  This is awesome.

While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34557 on: May 13, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »

A baby rose from the dead and began haunting the fortress.  I do not know when or how the baby died, nor where the corpse is.  I intend to engrave a slab.

The Mountainhome caravan arrived.  I made an offering to attract the King.  I will have the kings chambers ready by the time he or she arrived.  The throne room consists of a multi-z-level hall with pillars, stretching between the lowest cavern and the magma sea.  There will be a magma river flowing through the throne room, and stock piles of precious metal crafts.  I am also considering a money pit for the king to play in.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34558 on: May 13, 2014, 04:28:53 pm »

The saddest person in my fort is a four-month-old who hates slugs.
Apparently, said four-month-old was accosted by them.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34559 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:22 pm »

I also have two shy of six full pages of cave crocodile hatchlings.
I may have gone a bit overboard...
Pages: 1 ... 2302 2303 [2304] 2305 2306 ... 3842