Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2300 2301 [2302] 2303 2304 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097706 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34515 on: May 07, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »

AND NOW A DESERT TITAN ATTACKS THIS FORT
IT BREATHES FIRE
IT GETS KILLED BY THREE SINGE DEER
ONE CASUALTY: A TWO SINGE DEER, ONE SUFFOCATED AFTER I POSTED
GODDAMMIT I'M TRYING TO KILL THIS FORT
Hehe. It's funny because it's like a pun.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
« Reply #34516 on: May 07, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »

Just had my first dose of Fun.

My first siege, and all but three of my dwarves made it into the burrows as my twenty strong military consisting of ten swordsdwarves and ten marksdwarves armed up to deal with what remained of the goblins that had made it through the traps, still over 15 of them despite heavy casualties due to excessive weapon trapping.

So they're in position and I open the door to the fortress, the swordsdwarves then march one by one to get ganked by the goblin horde. Well I thought at least my marksdwarves will hold it, after all three of them are elite and the rest not far behind right?

Wrong, they walk out to try to bludgeon to death the horde with their crossbows, all except one, who stands in the damn doorway and won't move no matter what I do as he fires his crossbow. So he blocks the doorway, the siege is eventually brought to an end by my three legendary hunters making a valiant last stand in the bottom floor of the fortress, 15 survivors out of 112. And now down to two due to tantruming.

To make it worse I'd carefully designed a ballista battery a year before, as well as two lines of fortification in case of such a problem within the fortress itself, as well as set over thirty more weapon traps (bone crossbows, lots of) but bloody Urist decided it was more productive to haul basalt for a year!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:28:45 pm by Urist McWhatTheHellGuys? »
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34517 on: May 07, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »

This is why I keep my friends close and my enemies really far away.
I have my soldiers engage enemies in areas at least a bit away from the fortress proper, and if any goblins manage to get past the three pincushioner squads (crossbow, bow, blowgun) they can be held back in the courtyard between the marksmen towers and the Trade Depot/fort entrance. In fact, the seven marksmen I have could probably hold back an entire siege.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34518 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:43 pm »

Well it seems like everyone is getting sieges today :P

Just had my first siege in Village Orbsdream my first successful aboveground fortress,

A 3 Wagon human caravan came through and i opened my gates allowing them inside as soon as the last wagon entered i was siege by a small force of Goblins, (25 in total)

The first wave went through my cage traps capturing 8 of them, afterwards there army went through my weapon traps killing atleast 5 of them and causing massive damage on the rest.

By the time they got to my main gate i had 25 marksdwarves provide a storm of arrows that killed them within seconds,

Siege Results:

Enemies:

17 Dead Goblins
8 Prisoners
1 Dead Cave Crocodile

Friendlies:

No Injuries or Causalities

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34519 on: May 08, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »

I have two forts, the first is in a terrifying biome, I have 4 surviving dwarves and a vampire migrant. I need to devise a way to allow migrants into the fort, possibly by creating an above ground structure using the vampire since he doesn't seem to aggro the zombles. My other fortress is thriving, I just got a baroness she died from hurt feelings pretty quickly  because my two legendary hammerdwarves who died taking down a giant cave spider had a nicer tromb than her. Right now I'm digging a Mordor-like pit at the entrance, to throw goblins and the like.

Any advice for either would be good. Ive been playing for about three years and I still suck.

JerDGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34520 on: May 08, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »

Just got to my first ever real siege, since that's the topic of the day it seems.

Every other fort before this (about 5) I've abandoned because I felt I could make it better.  The curse of this game it seems.  I finally played long enough for my first true siege.  Apparently one of my four bridges was set to open in the wrong direction,  so my ten marksdwarves standing on the ramparts weren't of much use.  I think I'll wait until tomorrow to start a new fort.

See: Facepalm moments.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:20:30 pm by JerDGold »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34521 on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:47 pm »

Finally, I got what I wanted. A forgotten beast, a humanoid made of vomit. With webs. It killed about 40 imps and the rest are either ecstatic or miserable. It is currently walled in my hospital, choking an unconscious fish cleaner, where it has been for about a year. An imp went berserk and burned everyone's clothes off, making even more people sad. Awesome.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34522 on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:58 pm »

My new fort hasn't had any sieges or megabeasts show up yet. So far the most threatening enemy we've faced was a lone Cyclops, who was hacked to pieces. I think it's my third year now and I'm not on an island.

EDIT: looks like i spoke too soon. the goblins sieged me with ONE squad. granted their leader was on an elk bird, still didn't pose much of a threat. Also got a fancy elk bird leather quiver from a possessed engraver. functionally uninteresting, but I learned that my civ is called the crypts of wiping. not sure how to feel about that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:58:24 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34523 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:21 am »

Village Orbsdream, Year 7 Granite

An Human Caravan arrived (large caravan) Orbsdream's Marksmen where deployed on the walls to searh for any goblins that may have followed the caravan, after an entire month had passed the marksdwarves were called back to basic training shortly after a Goblin siege composed of 40 Goblins arrived near the entrance to the village, before the marksdwarves could get to the first chokepoint the goblins smashed through the weapon traps taking minor casualties (7) the second chokepoint slowed them down with the last trap defense, the weapon traps managed to kill another 15 (22 goblins in total) Goblins the marksdwarves where the last line of defense taking shots they managed to take out all by 9 of the goblins, that was when the 9 melee dwarves ran into reinforce the entrance with the support of marksdwarves they managed to kill all but one of the goblins a swords master, my most skilled swords dwarf charged him knocking him down and begin stabbing him with the goblins last strike he hit the swordsdwarf in the head breaking his skull, the goblin died and the swordsman was in the hospital for one month before he died,

He was the first dwarf to die in Orbsdream, a tomb worthy for a hero was constructed to honor him.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #34524 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:15 am »

Village Orbsdream, Year 7 Granite

An Human Caravan arrived (large caravan) Orbsdream's Marksmen where deployed on the walls to searh for any goblins that may have followed the caravan, after an entire month had passed the marksdwarves were called back to basic training shortly after a Goblin siege composed of 40 Goblins arrived near the entrance to the village, before the marksdwarves could get to the first chokepoint the goblins smashed through the weapon traps taking minor casualties (7) the second chokepoint slowed them down with the last trap defense, the weapon traps managed to kill another 15 (22 goblins in total) Goblins the marksdwarves where the last line of defense taking shots they managed to take out all by 9 of the goblins, that was when the 9 melee dwarves ran into reinforce the entrance with the support of marksdwarves they managed to kill all but one of the goblins a swords master, my most skilled swords dwarf charged him knocking him down and begin stabbing him with the goblins last strike he hit the swordsdwarf in the head breaking his skull, the goblin died and the swordsman was in the hospital for one month before he died,

He was the first dwarf to die in Orbsdream, a tomb worthy for a hero was constructed to honor him.

I hope your engravers carve this heroic event to the walls of your mountainhomes :)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34525 on: May 09, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »

Generated a new world and embarked on a good glacier instead of an evil one. It's perfectly flat.
I did notice an anomaly however.
I had a downward stairway made through the siltstone floor of the glacier and it was made of red sand.
That doesn't seem normal.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34526 on: May 09, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

Got bored with that and did an experiment to see what would happen if Fallen Angels emote.
To make things funny I embarked on an area that bridges the gap between a large island and the mainland. To let caravans from the other side (my caravan appeared on the island side, which makes slightly more sense since my civilization apparently started on a small isolated island), I dug/manufactured an access tunnel for wagons right underneath the ocean.
It makes slightly more sense than constructing a giant bridge across.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34527 on: May 10, 2014, 08:13:06 am »

Paperwhatevers has finally fallen. A huge purple dimetron with fire came up from the caverns and had a fire battle with a child in the stairwell between the main fort and the well/food stockpile. During the battle, this epic screenshot was produced:

Bear baiting is for elves. Keep in mind that fire implets are the size of your hand.

Everyone in the fort was trapped below the FB and eventually died of thirst. Everyone was throwing fireballs at the FB this whole time, so most of my fort became legendary archers by the time they died. During this a goblin ambush was defeated by a single phoenix. Also, another forgotten beast came up from the caverns. Some migrants came, including a hunter, who managed to kill the fire-breather. The other one, a gas-producing bug, was still in the stairwell. It was killed by a team of peasants that I put in a squad.

Eventually I was down to four imps: the ranger who killed the fire-breather, a decent hammerman, a milker/medic, and an imprisoned vampire. Everyone was miserable except the vampire, who had no relatives. When the hammerman and the milker went insane and died, I realized that the vampire was due to be released. The ranger was promoted to captian of the guard and went to release the vampire.

The vampire got released and was put to the task of making enough coffins for everyone. The ranger just tantrumed. At one point he nearly beat the vampire to death in a fit of rage, which probably would have been the end. The vampire was left with a broken leg. As vengeance, the vampire drained the ranger of blood the second he closed his eyes. After a long, long time, the vampire made enough coffins and had buried everyone. Somewhere in there a violent ghost had torn off his broken leg, which he would have bled out from if it had been a normal wound. After all the ghosts vanished, I abandoned the fort. When a legendary mason shows up at my next fort, I will be ready.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34528 on: May 10, 2014, 08:31:43 am »

What a great end.
Do note that fallen angelical children are the size of a human, as are the adults. And the babies.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34529 on: May 10, 2014, 10:26:24 am »

In my new fort, after piercing the first cavern (mostly for slightly more interesting trees) we got attacked by a troll.
After a long combat between the first ever soldier and the troll, I found out why it hadn't died.
The soldier was bare-handed.
So I cancelled that and let him actually pick up his equipment.
Troll died instantly upon re-order.
Pages: 1 ... 2300 2301 [2302] 2303 2304 ... 3842