Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104915 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3450 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »

either the elephants have been nixed, or I have a very badass diplomat. For about a year he's been kicking the crap out of an elephant, bashing it over the head with his iron crossbow. It's been de-tusked, and severely damaged all over the place.

Also, I caught some milkfish, and as I suspected you can't milk them. But damnit, this is science!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »

either the elephants have been nixed, or I have a very badass diplomat. For about a year he's been kicking the crap out of an elephant, bashing it over the head with his iron crossbow. It's been de-tusked, and severely damaged all over the place.

Also, I caught some milkfish, and as I suspected you can't milk them. But damnit, this is science!
I on the other hand, have an Olympic runner of an Elephant. My trio of axe-wielding drafted woodcutters have been chasing it around in circles in the middle of my quarry so long Spring is Here! (it was Winter)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:45 pm »

Urist only had a brief tenure as militia captain of Mansionmurdered (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg1315947#msg1315947).  Two years in, the human caravan walked into a goblin axeman ambush.  As bits of of pack animals flew past their ears, my militia charged to the attack.  Urist did surprisingly well, using my only masterwork steel axe to chop down three goblins.  Then the last fleeing human merchant walked into another ambush, this time of goblin spearmen.  Again my dwarves ran to the scene.  Urist and my best axelord arrived first... and then a wandering Yeti distracted the rest of the squad coming up to support them.

The axelord was in a martial trance, acting as a little dwarven death machine.  Urist managed one blow before being disarmed, thanks to a shattered right hand that DIDN'T HAVE A STEEL GAUNTLET ON.  Before the rest of the squad could finish off the yeti and the last goblins, Urist took two spearthrusts to the chest, bruising both lungs.  The civilians coming out to aid my wounded (i.e. Urist) were then interrupted by a couple of goblin snatchers... and by the time those were seen off, Urist had suffocated on the field of battle, and the recovery party turned into a burial party.  All because Urist had (of course) forgotten to put on one vital piece of armor.

Oh, and the previous elven caravan were run off by skeletal muskox.   Mansionmurdered is definitely not a pleasant place for traders to visit.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:36 am »

So I've got an otherwise unremarkable* cliffside fort (.40d, wondering if 31.06 is going to be good for playing) that's been getting hit by sieges just about every season from at least four different goblin civilizations, which inspired me as to what I'm going to do with this fort:

These are Swiss dwarves.

Everybody's gonna learn to use a crossbow.

At least to Competent. Then I can draft them as "needed" and they shouldn't mind. Of course this will take forever - I'm still on my first group of 12 (that's not my standing army). Main downside: they're all going to have a few friends.

*there's lots of silver, and I've got a snailman/slugman zoo, but nothing interesting seems to be underground

UPDATE:
Seven! Seven different enemy civilizations!

"He is an enemy of The Ordered Poisons. He is an enemy of The Disgusting Fly. He is an enemy of The Ashen Cult. He is an enemy of The Barbarity of Dyes. He is an enemy of The Sweltering Fellowship. He is an enemy of The Connected Incest. He is an enemy of The Glowing Creed" - my cap'n, with fifty-seven notches on his axe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:56:41 pm by loose nut »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:22 am »

I have an elephant farm.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: June 10, 2010, 06:36:29 am »

I'm going to continue murdering things as my civilians run away in .05 until .07 comes out. Because then we have SURGERY!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: June 10, 2010, 07:16:28 am »

That elven caravan that got hit by the ambush left a lot of animals. Including a bunch of giant eagles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:26 am »

my second broker dodged himself into a lake... Broker seems to be a dangerous position in my fort.

Anyway any lake near the fortress now has a ramp, so my dwarves are able to get out of it

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59:53 am »

Pierced the aquifer using pumps and windmills. It's a lot harder without flowing water. Next up on my agenda is to use the limestone I can now access to build a water cistern, since this fort is on salt water. I've already got crops going in, so food and drink shouldn't be a problem. Once I get into the limestone I'll get started on some steel.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: June 10, 2010, 01:39:38 pm »

I apparently have magical teleporters to let dwarves in. I had 20 dwarves, saved it last night, started it up this morning and there were 36. No babies, no migrants, just a sudden increase in dwarves between saving and opening.... I am now going to build a giant "portal" for them to arrive by, which will double as a place to toss prisoners.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:58 pm »

I'm busily working on my newest madness, which is a fort with 50 layers of stone before the first cavern, if I remember the worldgen correctly. I found the materials for steel the moment I embarked, so I'm working on getting my first squad equipped in full steel armor and weaponry. The map is honestly just so huge in the z-direction I'm at a bit of a loss as far as knowing what to do.

Ideas? tl;dr: need something to do with ~9001 z-levels
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: June 10, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »

I'm busily working on my newest madness, which is a fort with 50 layers of stone before the first cavern, if I remember the worldgen correctly. I found the materials for steel the moment I embarked, so I'm working on getting my first squad equipped in full steel armor and weaponry. The map is honestly just so huge in the z-direction I'm at a bit of a loss as far as knowing what to do.

Ideas? tl;dr: need something to do with ~9001 z-levels

magma pump stack from below to the sky :D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: June 10, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »

Flooding this giant basin is proving to be interesting. The water going in doesn't quite surpass the water evaporating, and it's about 7z deep. But every winter it freezes for exactly a week, and all the 2/7s turn into 7/7s. When it unfreezes, there's enough water that the evaporation issues stop until the next z-level. So it'll take a while to fill, but it'll happen.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: June 10, 2010, 03:38:00 pm »

That's an impressive amount of work to put into a water project, time-wise.

I'm still looking for caverns, and finally getting something that resembles a real industry going so I don't have to have everyone hauling all the time to keep them busy. My masonry especially has been lagging behind, so I'm putting together a second, fully-functional fort about 10 levels below where my initial fort was built.

-ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: June 10, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »

Been killing people with Mr. Sketch like crazy. But as we were killing yet another annoying trogie, the last antwoman started chasing Trenton II. So as we're hurrying over this happens.
Spoiler: Actual Spoiler. (click to show/hide)

Explain what this means.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 3842