Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104808 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3435 on: June 09, 2010, 12:53:45 pm »

Whilst digging down, I came down onto the end of a native gold vein. So I decide to follow it. It seems that not one, not two, but four gold veins collided, or just two very big veins.

Before that, a goblin ambush killed one recruit and all but one elf merchant. After he left, and I deconstructed the Depot to get rid of the trading tag, I've got a vast amount of wood crap, and some animals I'm not sure I can get out of their cage.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: June 09, 2010, 01:20:39 pm »

I finally should get shells from butchering a forgotten beast

its description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My legendary gem cutter goes down to get the body - and well - he meets an elk bird (really annoying animals.. My military is often charging them through half of the fort without catching them) and the elk bird catches his head. And the only competent gem cutter in my fort gets his head ripped apard by an elk bird. :o

But at least I got shells...   :-\

edit: It now even has got a name
edit2: After striking down another 2 war dogs I finally got it killed. Don't if I should be happy or not..
edit3: butchering didn't even give me a shell, but 99 fat, 160 meat and 8 prepared brains  >:(
edit4: and now there is hoard of 15+ fluffy wamblers near my entrance. What a pity my dwarves don't know how to throw them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:25:39 pm by grufti »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: June 09, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »

Hi!

I have started my first fortress in 31.06 and even before the initial digging has been completed, I saw raw mussels in my stockpiles! We have struck fish! Hail the fisherdwarves!

Deathworks

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

My current thoughts:
damnit Elephant! how did you get in here! Stop interrupting those gu-Migrants! Woo! umm. umm. umm. holy crap thats a lot. woodcutters! Go, Woodcutter Squad! Kill the Elephant!
they left a hole in the wall. so thats how..
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: June 09, 2010, 03:42:29 pm »

Just embarked on an area that has a river with fish....namely, milkfish... Diggers are now in the process of preparing an area to catch them. I know I probably can't milk them, but damnit! I have to try.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: June 09, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »

My militia commander in full iron gear went fey and wanted shit I didn't have in my fort. And then he went berserk. Ended up with 3 dead dwarves (woodcutter, my only weapon/armorsmith and a peasant) and 4-5 wounded, of which the before mentioned peasant died in the hospital because his wounds were too severe. My second soldier managed to kill the berserk commander.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: June 09, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »

I think I have my first fortress that I'll transfer to the next version, instead of starting over!  I say this because the RNG gods have blessed it twice:
1. The fortress is named Mansionmurdered
2. One of my recent migrants is called Urist - and they're my new militia captain!  Story below...

It's my first terrifying glacier/untamed tundra fort.  Getting below the tundra wasn't too hard, although since teeth have been de-nerfed in .06 I wouldn't like to face those ice wolves again.  I had to skirt an aquifer, and had some minor Fun learning about ice: "Why did my workshops-made-of-ice disappear?  Where did my up-staircase go?  WHY ARE MY MINERS TRAPPED?" 

Since then every arriving caravan has brought a new military adventure.  The first dwarven caravan mixed it up with some skeletal elk that gave everyone a good kicking - one butcher still goes to the well every so often to clean dwarven pus off his broken nose.  The elves encountered skeletal muskox, which are even more vicious.  By that point I had a trade depot airlock but foolishly tried to save the damn hippies.  Luckily my bookkeeper-turned-militia-captain turned out to the quiet-but-deadly type.  The human caravan "only" encountered a blizzardman, but it attacked a pack animal, took a masterpiece willow harp, and then started hitting everything in sight with that damn harp.  My dwarves stood back and laughed.

That brings us to the second dwarven caravan.  By this time I have a squad of six in shiny new steel armor.  The dwarven caravan runs into seven goblin macemen, wielding SILVER maces.  Those things are just plain nasty, even against steel armor.  The three caravan guards go down in seconds as my militia runs to assist.  My captain relieves two goblins of their heads before having a leg shattered and passing out from the pain (hey, she's only a bookkeeper).  My best military dwarf - unbelievably strong, indefatigable, agile, etc - is reduced to a bloody unconscious pulp by her side.  The rest of my militia gradually turn the tide despite being badly bruised... and then Urist shows up just as the last two goblins flee.  Urist bravely chops them down from behind.

The captain is bedridden with "just" a shattered leg, but the pulped super-dwarf has multiple compound fractures.  After several months of surgery he finally succumbs to infection, with my dabbling surgeon still trying to figure out which bit of his friend goes where.  So, yeah.  Who's next in line to be captain?  Urist!

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: June 09, 2010, 04:16:23 pm »

New 31.06 fort started. Looks promising, but I haven't dared opening the cavern yet.
I may need to reduce the framerate with my new computer and the new version, - I've played 2 years in the time a season usually took.  :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: June 09, 2010, 04:29:56 pm »

Well, trent kept trying to get food that was appearently past or near the cave fish civ, and as he was dying, my guys went in to terminate them. Isaac thoguht it was a good idea to throw a rock and his axe then try to fight the spearman with his fists. He died. Trent bled to death, and Denver went down fighting, as Emily got mortally wounded. I killed all the fish but like two.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: June 09, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »

An Ettin arrived.  It immediately ran over to my prized Giant scorpion and punched it's stinger off and then left it alone.  I'm serious, the Ettin walked up to the chained scorpion, punched it's stinger off on it's first attack and then walked away from it.  I have no idea why it did that.

That's not the weird behavior though, the Ettin appeared to have another motive.  It wandered into the main gate and met a few members of my military that were rushing to save my pet.  After a brief scuffle it grabbed one of my swordswoman's greaves and then started running away from the fortress, making for the edge of the map.  Fortunately it had taken a rather fierce throat wound and a stab to it's grabbing hand that severed arteries, so it leaves a zig zagging trail of blood and bleeds out 10 tiles from the map edge.

Great, so now the megabeasts are panty thieves and perverts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

Great, so now the megabeasts are panty thieves and perverts.
Yours, maybe. Mine still seem to enjoy needless, unprovoked carnage to a degree that seems unhealthy.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:57 pm »

That's hilarious.

Anyway, so I was messing around in .06 in adventure mode. So I went and killed the warlord of the nearby Human Capital.
After killing people with no problem, a gem encrusted, masterwork bolt hit me in the chest and after falling unconscious and much beatings later I bled to death. Even on the ground I never got hurt.

So I embarked to the same town and as I put Lutz Crabhatchet in his coffin, I am taking out the last pillar which will make their castle come-a crumbling down. Children will rain from the sky. About 30 of them.

There will be a video.

It could not handle the pure awesomeness of children raining four z levels down to their very undwarfy death. I'll wait a bit longer to see if it'll work.

It didn't.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:35:32 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »

fortress has been sexy.  accidently flooded my barracks/farms but was able to wall off my main stairway and get all the dwarves out of there before insanity.  Since then it's just been building, digging and killing goblins, fun stuff.

my baroness/tax collecter/hammerer just arrived.  normally just annoying news but as soon as he appeared my hammerer sought out a hoary marmot and in an act of true insanity decided this creature had absolutely no reason to live whatsoever. ran up and blasted him about 30 tiles across the map  :P

also I'm still new to all the versions (mostly because I keep starting fortress', abandoning them before anything interesting happens, switching versions, etc.) but are there any caverns in 40d?

I've dug down to the 'bottom' z-level (at it's lowest -22) and have practically mined out the entire level, we've found absolutely nothing interesting, other than infuriating amounts of microcline that like to appear whenever I'm looking at something important

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »

I'm considering making a nuclear reactor that supplies power to my fortress.

Step 1: Create a series of tunnels which converge in one point. Place water wheels at points near the convergence. Add floodgate controls to taste.

Step 2: Dig pit down from convergence, leading to a large cavern.

Step 3: Create a lead, steel and stone shell many tiles thick directly below the hole. Leave the top open. Leave a little hole for access in the side.

Step 4: Build a workshop in the centre, and lock a dwarf in with it.

Step 5: Run a custom reaction that creates several custom vermin that have Spirit of Fire-level temperatures. They will incinerate the workshop and dwarf. Note: Actual reactor core item optional.

Step 6: Allow water to run into system. It powers the waterwheels, and when it lands in the reactor core it evaporates into steam.

Of course, this will only work if vermin can be given such temperatures and affect the environment. And they don't teleport through the walls to !!freedom!!. Of course, that's the reason the walls are so thick.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: June 09, 2010, 09:58:49 pm »

Goblin Ambush. Everyone got killed trying to reset the cage traps. The damn merchants didn't do anything to help us.
I lost my current Mega Project
THE DWARVERN ROSE
(@) – Colosseum
€║ – drop-able king/mayor room and multifloor tower with stuff
..║ – multifloor tower with some stuff
..║ – multifloor tower with some stuff
.▲ – small pyramid with the bedrooms of the workers of this mega project.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 3842