Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094324 times)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34185 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »

Miner gets a fey mood. Claims a workshop. Makes an artifact. Becomes a legendary miner.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34186 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:42 pm »

So anyway, what just struck me is that part of the difficulty of telling things apart is that my fort has snow over half of the year. And the dominant soil type is white sand. So everything outdoors is just white most of the time. And ice floors (on the pools that are frozen over 11 months a year) can look remarkably similar to sand walls. Oh and if you read my previous posts, you know that I had a grass fire cover most of my outdoor camp area, and ashes are also quite light grey, and I had quite a lot of ash that I was looking at last summer. All this probably didn't help in getting used to the ASCII.

So what you're saying is, your fortress looked something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34187 on: April 15, 2014, 11:05:06 pm »

So anyway, what just struck me is that part of the difficulty of telling things apart is that my fort has snow over half of the year. And the dominant soil type is white sand. So everything outdoors is just white most of the time. And ice floors (on the pools that are frozen over 11 months a year) can look remarkably similar to sand walls. Oh and if you read my previous posts, you know that I had a grass fire cover most of my outdoor camp area, and ashes are also quite light grey, and I had quite a lot of ash that I was looking at last summer. All this probably didn't help in getting used to the ASCII.

So what you're saying is, your fortress looked something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm betting it's pretty close. But give it a few hours, there'll be a distinctive red streak, with goblin gibs scattered amongst the red. Or dwarf gibs, depending on traps; all that white means that if you cover the traps with something white they should be invisible. A dusting of snow should work.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34188 on: April 16, 2014, 02:19:31 am »

Something is terribly wrong when a 500 lbs. trained war bear has to be rescued from a zombie goat by three 1 foot tall men with pointy sticks.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34189 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:43 am »

In light of the latest siege being obliterated by the Dwarven caravan, I've decided it's time to train the military. So I'm melting down all iron items that aren't immediately required for the military's armour, and forging silver warhammers. Galena is, apparently the only thing that the fortress really has access to. Oh, and tetrahedrite, but that won't do well for weapons. Cue a dwarven tidal wave flooding forth from the fortress to pick up whatever items the caravans might have dropped.

Better hope there aren't any goblins out there.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34190 on: April 16, 2014, 07:34:08 am »

Hammerlulled is grinding along, close to max population at the end of the third year (capped at 100).  Fortress gambling focuses on how far body parts will make it when caged invaders drop 20 levels to hit the polished granite floor.  I just found magma in the Third Cavern, and dug out my magma forge area, complete with bunks and a small dining hall for my tired dwarves to rest and feast in sybaritic luxury while they make me steel everything.

... and then two of my legendary miners managed to trap themselves and die of thirst below the floor while digging the channels.  Somehow.  I will never understand the dwarven inability to path.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34191 on: April 16, 2014, 07:37:11 am »

Apparently there is a dog that is rotting alive in my fort.
Must be forgotten beast powder or something.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34192 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:51 am »

Year five in Whatever-This-Fort-is-Named.

It is the first fort I haven't danger room trained dwarves in over a year. So military training is coming along remarkably slowly (I think). Still they have been able to repel two sieges, a number of ambushes and a weremonkey with only four deaths.

They are working on a cast obsidian block 41*21*20 and are currently building (and rebuilding) 100 steel screw pumps. Once they are built I'll hook up the massive water reactors and start casting. As an aside, I am constructing one of the 12 waterwheel reactors 12 levels above the ground. Because dwarves.

Almost everyone has been happy since I walled in the vampire. An annoying fellow that almost exclusively targeted new mothers. Not sure if it was all of the starving babies, or the death of my legendary farmer that drove me to confine him. He's currently naked and insane.

Oh and the last message I received was that the hunter that heroically killed the weremonkey is now a weremonkey himself.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34193 on: April 16, 2014, 11:32:17 am »

This is the 2nd year of Almoshaban, or whatever those Dwarven words translate into. The embark is an excellent one, with two iron ores, native platinum, alum shale that gives the place a pretty blue tint, and abundant trees, plants and fish. The surroundings are Mirthful, which means the creatures are pretty docile.

For the most part, I've done a good job of setting up a functioning fortress. There's an above-ground area by the nearby stream walled off, which lets me fish in peace, and my farms are doing well. There's abundant wood for charcoal and bituminous coal for coke, which lets me build up my metal industry quickly.

However, there's a bunch of weird hilarious stuff going on:

• First, thanks to the mods I have installed, people occasionally wear clothes made of "lightning". I have Lightning Sheep and Lightning Men in my mod, so I can only assume it's made from the skin of one of them. Most likely it's the Sheep, since they don't seem to burst into flame immediately. Anyway, for some reason, the wearer of these clothes, anyone nearby, and half the forest, ends up burnt to ashes.
  • Second, I accidentally set several civilizations to come to trade at the same time. This meant that I had two or more caravans come visit my depot. This wouldn't be so bad, but I'd accidentally set the Sand Raiders to be active every season, so they sent a caravan every season. It caused quite a bit of FPS drain.
  • Third, I had an elf caravan stick around for too long, which caused one of the pointy-eared fellows to go berserk. Obviously, my militia put them down.
  • Finally, I've got a (not-so) surprising amount of thieves and snatchers attacking for my fort. The last time a caravan came, I had two Violet Xelic thieves, two Kobold thieves, and a Goblin snatcher pop up simultaneously. This was at a time when my militia was depressed because a previous Goblin snatcher killed one of their own with a lucky strike through his cap and I forgot to build the poor bastard a coffin, so his corpse just sat there rotting. As the thieves ran away, I suddenly saw the forest burst into flames again. In the middle of the flames, I saw one of my war Shaggy Badgerdogs chase a Violet Xelic thief, who dodged into a murky pool and was promptly mauled to death. The badgerdog didn't give a shit: he just tore the Xelic a new one and then trotted off through the raging fire back to the fortress, unharmed.

If things are this Fun now, I wonder how Fun things will get when my two other custom races (cannibal halflings and Putrid Blendecs with an extra-big, extra-strong leader caste ripped from BlackFlyme's Dark Souls mod) siege me!

Oh well, at least I get all the traders' stuff when they kill themselves via accidental mass immolation. Fruit and veggies from a bunch of dead Elves, anyone? (They taste like ash, but hey, it's free food!)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:35:23 am by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34194 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

This is the 2nd year of Almoshaban, or whatever those Dwarven words translate into. The embark is an excellent one, with two iron ores, native platinum, alum shale that gives the place a pretty blue tint, and abundant trees, plants and fish. The surroundings are Mirthful, which means the creatures are pretty docile.

For the most part, I've done a good job of setting up a functioning fortress. There's an above-ground area by the nearby stream walled off, which lets me fish in peace, and my farms are doing well. There's abundant wood for charcoal and bituminous coal for coke, which lets me build up my metal industry quickly.

However, there's a bunch of weird hilarious stuff going on:

• First, thanks to the mods I have installed, people occasionally wear clothes made of "lightning". I have Lightning Sheep and Lightning Men in my mod, so I can only assume it's made from the skin of one of them. Most likely it's the Sheep, since they don't seem to burst into flame immediately. Anyway, for some reason, the wearer of these clothes, anyone nearby, and half the forest, ends up burnt to ashes.
  • Second, I accidentally set several civilizations to come to trade at the same time. This meant that I had two or more caravans come visit my depot. This wouldn't be so bad, but I'd accidentally set the Sand Raiders to be active every season, so they sent a caravan every season. It caused quite a bit of FPS drain.
  • Third, I had an elf caravan stick around for too long, which caused one of the pointy-eared fellows to go berserk. Obviously, my militia put them down.
  • Finally, I've got a (not-so) surprising amount of thieves and snatchers attacking for my fort. The last time a caravan came, I had two Violet Xelic thieves, two Kobold thieves, and a Goblin snatcher pop up simultaneously. This was at a time when my militia was depressed because a previous Goblin snatcher killed one of their own with a lucky strike through his cap and I forgot to build the poor bastard a coffin, so his corpse just sat there rotting. As the thieves ran away, I suddenly saw the forest burst into flames again. In the middle of the flames, I saw one of my war Shaggy Badgerdogs charge a Violet Xelic thief, who dodged into a murky pool and was promptly mauled to death. Badgerdog didn't give a shit about the fire, just mauled the Xelic till it turned into a corpse.

If things are this Fun now, I wonder how Fun things will get when my two other custom races (cannibal halflings and Putrid Blendecs with an extra-big, extra-strong leader caste ripped from BlackFlyme's Dark Souls mod) siege me!

Oh well, at least I get all the traders' stuff when they kill themselves via accidental mass immolation. Fruit and veggies from a bunch of dead Elves, anyone? (They taste like ash, but hey, it's free food!)

Ooh, those mods sound FUUUN...
Did you write them yourself?

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34195 on: April 16, 2014, 11:38:25 am »

Ooh, those mods sound FUUUN...
Did you write them yourself?

"Write" is not quite accurate, since I just altered and combined existing mods. In this case I used Dwarf Chocolate and CivForge as  my base, then added a few other smaller mods, including a modified Putrid Blendec civ from Fortress Defense (renamed "Ghastyrs").

That is, except the cannibal Halflings, or "Tcho-tcho" as I call them. They're pretty much my creation.
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34196 on: April 16, 2014, 11:50:46 am »

My reclusive dwarves just trained a pack of grizzly bears by feeding them human bones.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34197 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

Decided to finally cleanse the first cavern of the savage olm men natives. I was a bit worried about their poisoned blowdarts but in the end ordered two squads with spears and maces to just rush them.

And turns out one of the speardwarves is a complete badass.

Leading the charge he instantly falls into a martial trance, Matrix-dodges his way around a hail of darts, stabs his spear into the ground through the foot of the nearest olm man, uses said spear to pole vault foot first into the olm man's face and then just unleashes this torrent of stabs, punches and kicks straight out of a kung fu movie, resulting in a glorious explosion of blood, vomit and body parts.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34198 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:16 pm »

I find it really bizarre that I have an animal that is rotting alive in my fort, even by DF standards.
Either way, it is the fourth year of Talkedglove, and all is well. One death overall.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34199 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:23 pm »

I had a fire imp legendary miner try to go to eat some of the olm men's food, they attacked him and he killed them all singlehandedly, batting blowdarts out of the air and dueling spearmen. He accidentally burned his food in the process, though.
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3842